Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer Deals

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

New Customer Deals

There are many limited time offers for broadband at the moment, from a number of suppliers, some even offering a period of "free" Broadband to new customers. Marketing Sprats to catch mackerel maybe, but potentially galling to those who remain loyal and who actually pay for these cheaper bills.
My brother is getting a combined broadband package from Sky that looks cheap, but again, marketing can show a tiny charge for Broadband in an overall package, as happens with another friend who's buying his as part of a mobile phone deal.
I've never been a "buy on price" sort, since you tend to get what you pay for, but with broadband supplied by Openreach BT regardless of supplier in may area, one wonders if the Devil you don't know is as bad as some make out? In any case, PlusNet is a part of BT, isn't it?
In the light of cheaper broadband, and cheap introductory packages, maybe Plusnet should consider rewarding loyalty in some way? Perhaps by offering an upgraded package for the price of the one below to customers who have an unbroken 5 or more years as a customer? Just a thought.
14 REPLIES 14
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: New Customer Deals

Whilst I fully agree with what you say I can see no way of it happening across the board.
PN are like most companies in offering various inducements to new customers simply to get them to sign up, some banks offer new customers £100 to open an account but that offer is not available to existing customers.
I guess the thinking is, if you are a customer and get broadband without any problems you may not want to switch supplier to save a few pounds, however there is a cut off point for most customers, if the savings are more than a few pounds customers are likely to move so a phone call to PN might get you a better deal, much will depend on what you pay now so some will be offered a better deal whilst others will be offered nothing.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your reply gleneagles. As I said I'm not one to buy on price but I like to think that I get a reasonable deal. Having chosen a supplier (often after research and consideration) I tend to stick with my choice unless I feel that they have treated me badly or unfairly in some way. My long history with PlusNet is not an accident. All suppliers have "off days" not all make sensible commercial decisions, they respond to any market trends but perhaps are not always in tune with their customers?
My perfect broadband supplier would put service reliability and speed first, putting the structure in place to deliver it and address any shortfalls swiftly. Plusnet largely achieves this, but recent experience suggests that savings have been made to Support since response seems slower and with less attention than was previously the case. Plusnet needs to be profitable or it has no purpose commercially.
If Plusnet's business model is to be a low price, high volume supplier it is in a marketplace selling a commodity with a high degree of competition. I would have thought that there's possibly greater opportunity to have a high quality, high reliability, and consequently higher priced offering, but maybe not simultaneously? If you pay more, you would not expect to linger on a phone for half an hour, nor wait hours for a reply on a forum when you find yourself with a problem, would you?
I hope that Plusnet mange to gain extra customers and increase their income through offers, but I hope also that they grow their infrastructure, Support, and product offerings to suit as well.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Unfortunately I can think of no "utility"(or insurance company for that matter!) that values loyalty.
I now diarise all my term contracts and negotiate - I routinely change insurers/elec. and gas suppliers etc and always get a deal with Sky for TV;i make it clear to PN at renewal time that Sky and Talktalk (amongst others) are prepared to do me a very good deal - so come June ,my phone and broadband will be up for grabs again!!
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

The industry is set in its ways, and the marketing managers are all working from the same manual. The PN staff on here will be along to tell you to ring customer options for an offer ( they won't do it over the forums), I'm surprised they haven't done so already.
So you play the system and change suppliers regularly. I've just been on the comparison websites and changed my car insurer today, changed my electricity supplier about six months ago and sacked Sky about nine months ago. Makes me feel good and the suppliers don't think any less of you. Probably respect you more  Huh
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Well i think possibly i will be looking for a cheaper deal elsewhere,with all these new customer deals going around.Smiley

https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

May be worth giving our Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 Wink

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jockwav
Aspiring Pro

I really can,t see them offering me the same deal as a new customer like they are advertising on tv.Roll_eyes

jockwav
Aspiring Pro

There are quite a lot of deals out there at the moment.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

@jockwav wrote:

I really can,t see them offering me the same deal as a new customer like they are advertising on tv.Roll_eyes

I renew contracts often, you maybe pleasantly surprised what COT can offer you Cheesy

Mike  

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jockwav
Aspiring Pro

I know what you are saying,but PN are offering new customers free broadband for a certain time,they are not offering that to loyal customers. There are other ISP,s offering those kind of deals though,so worth a look around.
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

I gave them a ring Harry, but didn't really get anywhere. I was passed around, but the help desk people were not au fait with 40/20 service at all. I was told that I should be on 40/2, or would be put on 40/2 shortly. As I understand it, I have grandfather rights to 40/20 which I lose if I give it up. As I also understand it, PlusNet pay BTO for an 80/20 service on my line, then cut me to 40 down and charge less than if they'd supplied me 80/20?

None of your operators seemed to understand any of this and kept going off to check.

As I pay extra for McAfee cover on Unlimited, to switch to Extra would cost me an extra £3Month? but what would I get speed wise? I was told maybe 55Mbps, but maybe less. I would also blow my 40/20 chances for good, and maybe for no extra speed, and to no good purpose.

I was wondering that if PlusNet are paying for an 80/20 service on my line, would they be prepared to remove the restriction but leave me paying the extra for McAfee? Equivalent of a £3month discount for loyalty!!

Just a thought.

Maybe there's a haggling department within PlusNet and a haggler I could lock horns with? ^-)

jockwav
Aspiring Pro

Not worth phoning them by the sounds of it.HuhShocked

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Hi danludlow when you say you spoke to the help desk, do you mean customer service , if so ? you need to be speaking to customer options team (0800 731 7512.)

Also no customer should be moved off a legacy package unless they agree to it , the person you spoke to needs some training on this issue. 

COT should be able to do you a deal on your current 40/20 product if your out of contract.

Regards

Mike 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Mike, I think I've got a year left to run on my contract, but will bear it in mind. It was customer service, but I was passed to another department finally, I think for those considering leaving.