Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO help from Plusnet

weeally46
Rising Star

NO help from Plusnet

Hello,

I've got a fault raised with Plusnet support for the third time, about an problem I've had for the past 2 months. My ADSL line has been getting less stable over the past months with noise margins creeping up to 15db, I thought it could be my router so I replaced it and I got a connection still with the high noise margins. Since getting a connection troughput on the line has been terrible.

The latest ticket I opened on the 29th and got a reply on the 30th saying we tried to call you but you could'nt hear me. NO you didn't, I haven't spoke to a member of your team on the phone.

Your CSC (won't mention names) done a line test, highlighted the sync speed which is normal and gave the summary 'connection really unstable' (now your just stating the obvious, it's better than it was). Then they hit me with the obligatory 'engineer clause' and then put the ticket on hold until the 1st of Jan.

I will be moving ISP in the new year based on the customer service and techincal support over the past few months.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: NO help from Plusnet

@weeally46 

It's difficult to read between the lines of your post to pick out the salient points. Is this correct?

Having reported the fault three times presumably you have been advised to carry out the basic tests such as checking there is no background noise on the telephone and testing from the BT Test socket? If so this should minimise the risk that the fault is something that is your responsibility. 

You say that Plusnet reported the sync speed is 'normal' but the connection was unstable? Did they say that the sync speed was unstable as well? Alternatively were they just quoting back to you that you are reporting that it is unstable?

As you say that you have been hit by the potential call out charge then presumably you have been offered an engineer visit to try to solve your problem?

It's difficult to interpret whether you are looking for advice or just vent your frustration that you have a poor connection. If its the former then more details including whether you are on ADSL or fibre and which hub you are using would be helpful.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

weeally46
Rising Star

I have done all basic checks including replacing cables, filters and the router multiple times.

I am on ADSL connection the sync speed has been all over the place but seems to have settled around 16000kbps which is normal, yes plusnet reported the sync speed as normal but said the connection was unstable. keeping in mind I've just replaced the router.

The point I am making is Plusnet just jump to sending an engineer out without speaking to the customer to gather more info.

My main problem is the high SNR margins, thats limiting throughput on the line. I'm getting 4000kbps on a good day, even though the router is syncing at 16000kbps, the speeds are the same on a wired or wireless connection.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@weeally46 

I stand to be corrected, but AIUI, whilst SNR margin and sync speed are related, SNR margin has no bearing on throughput (unless the SNR margin was so low that it was causing re-transmission due to high error rates - and yours isn't low).

According to your figures your throughput appears to be approximately 25% of your sync speed which IMHO points to some other cause.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@weeally46 wrote:

I am on ADSL connection the sync speed has been all over the place but seems to have settled around 16000kbps which is normal, yes plusnet reported the sync speed as normal but said the connection was unstable. keeping in mind I've just replaced the router.

The point I am making is Plusnet just jump to sending an engineer out without speaking to the customer to gather more info.

My main problem is the high SNR margins, thats limiting throughput on the line. I'm getting 4000kbps on a good day, even though the router is syncing at 16000kbps, the speeds are the same on a wired or wireless connection.

Oh so wrong on many points.

As @RobPN correctly points our SNRM has nothing to do with data throughput speed.  The consideration of the SNRM level being "high" relative to what does not inform anything.  The SNRM level needs to be assessed in reference to your line's attenuation, so a full set of router stats would be useful.

If your SNRM is indeed high (9db or higher) and you are still getting 12mbps sync speed then you must be right next to the exchange!!!

The data throughput speed tests being similar for wifi and ethernet connected tests (if you turned wifi off, rather than just presuming that if an ethernet cable was connected, that it would be used in preference to the still connected wifi) might well point to a line fault problem.

Plusnet is not going to recommend an engineer visit if there is no evidence to indicate that a line fault is likely.  The warning that a charge will be raised if the fault is found to be within your premises is the requirement placed on all ISPs by BTOR.  So if you change ISPs then you will get the same experience in respect of getting the line fixed ... which will not change with a change in ISPs.

As @Baldrick1 noted, if you have followed all of the checks they mentioned (and Plusnet requested) the risk of the fault being within your domain is minimal.

Be assured that data throughput of 4mbps over a 16mbps sync speed has zero to do with the SNRM being high.  Indeed a line with a high SNRM ought to deliver a good data throughput as there is far more signal than noise on the link.  It is more likely that your line has a lot of noise on the line, giving rise to data transmission failures.

Have you done a quiet line test?

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.