cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My house move experience

DoughPea
Dabbler

My house move experience

Been with plusnet for a while now because of their monthly contract option, Yes, you pay more in the long run, but i had such a faff with my other suppliers, i wanted a quick get out of jail free card.
2 years later, and i'm over the moon. Yes, there was one or two issues, even some engineer visits needed, but i was never once charged for it, it was always ontime (except once, but the engineer called to say he would be late...) and always back up and running with the minimum of fuss.
Then i had to move house in a hurry.
Plusnet say to give them 3 weeks notice where possible, but my situation was such that i could only give them 1 day notice.
Naturally i had to wait a while for the move, but it was all free, so long as i signed up for a year or so.
A date was given for the engineer to arrive, (today) between 8am-1pm.
Arrived at 10ish, suggested a better location for my master phone socket (he had to change it anyway as the line had been cut by the previous occupants) and got to work.
35 minutes later, my fiber line was installed, and the internet was switched on.
Whilst the speeds are not quite as expected, this will change in the next few days as the line settles. I was advised on 60 down 19.5 up, and the upload is already hitting top 18's. Download is a steady 9 at the moment but i'm assured thats normal for a new install and will increase in the next few days. (it is also nearly twice the download speed i got at the old property!)
So, all in all, a damned good experience had!
and all in 11 days from point of contact about me needing to move.
I see so many bad stories around, i thought i'd let you know about mine.
More than happy to be a customer here, especially now i've found the online ticketing service.
Thumbs up for a job well done.
30 REPLIES 30
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: My house move experience

Hi  DoughPea,
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.
Please do stick around on the forums and give us a shout if you have any problems.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I've had two house moves while I have been a PN customer and have had very good experiences with both.
The house move team seem very experienced and helpful - just what you need at what can be a stressful time
DoughPea
Dabbler

One issue i am having, is my download speed.
My upload is hitting the 14's at the moment, but the download, which is supposed to be nearer 60, is hovering between 6-10.
I realise the line has to have time to "settle", but should this not be increasing by now?
Don't get me wrong, its more than useable, i just thought it would be gaining speed by now...
picbits
Rising Star

Normally you get your full speed pretty much straight away - I suspect there is an issue somewhere maybe with your speed profile with Plusnet.
Have you tried a wired connection (if you're using wireless) ? Often it is a channel or wireless problem that causes slow throughput.
DoughPea
Dabbler

both pcs show the same speedtest results, one wired, one wireless.
Alkso, i never noticed before, but my phone line is not showing a dial tone.
I never noticed because i always have the phone unplugged as i never use a landline, except for 0800 numbers.
picbits
Rising Star

It could be a fault with the line then - best to get that sorted first then chase the speed issues if that doesn't help.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi DoughPea,
I've just run a couple of tests, and it's not showing any fault with the telephone service, can you double check that you still don't have a Dial Tone?
With regards to your speeds, can you please confirm that you have a computer connected with an Ethernet Cable, directly into your router?
DoughPea
Dabbler

I still do not have a dial tone, but as discussed in the ticket, that could be my hardware.
The only reason to have a landline these days is for 0800 numbers (which if all mobile providers follow suit, will be free from mobiles soon anyway) and if you are lonely.
I say if you are lonely because in the 2 years at my old address i had exactly 2 phonecalls from family and friends, the rest were marketing calls from the last occupiers frivolous nature when filling in online forms. (i'd hate to have that guys inbox!)
I litterally just unplugged the phone in the end, and its been lying in a cupboard since xD
As for wired, yes, always directly wire my main PC using ethernet.
Due to the problems i had in the past with other companies doing the old "[Draws breath in through teeth] Well, if you're doing it wirelessly and its found to be the signal, it'll cost ya!" thing i thought was limited to Mechanics!
Good news is, speeds are where i would expect now. A quick router reset and test on the main PC is showing 14ms ping, 56mbps down and 16.9mbps up of an expected 60  down and 19.5 up.
Well within my comfort zone now, so thanks Smiley
Guess i just jumped the gun and did not let the line settle for long enough.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Cheers for letting us know.
I still do not have a dial tone, but as discussed in the ticket, that could be my hardware.

Best thing to do is try another one as soon as you can and just let us know if there's still a problem.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
picbits
Rising Star

Often no dial tone will be a result of one of the wires coming disconnected between the exchange and your master socket. Broadband and FTTC will usually still work but at a reduced speed.
If your speed is up and down then this could be the reason and worth investigating further.
If your speed stay stable, leave it all well alone  Grin
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

No dial tone, but still working FIBRE rather suggests an e-side pair fault.
ADSL and voice use the same e-side and d-side circuit, so a fault on one, usually impacts another.  FTTC does not use the e-side part of the circuit, thus you can have a non-impacted FTTC service without an end to end working phone line.
In some circumstances the same applies to ADSL, but exactly what s going on there / then is beyond my comprehension!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DoughPea
Dabbler

I know i really should get the line tested with a new phone, but the internet is fine now.
I really don't want to spend the money on a phone just to test a line thats not causing me issues that i will not use...
...but i know i will anyway! xD
Speeds have settles a little lower than the projected 60 down 19.5 up, but they are DAMNED close!
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3453325151
DoughPea
Dabbler

Since i was curious i took my phone on a weekly family visit and tried it there.
Its confirmed as working fine, so i've opened another ticket.
It wouldn't bother me normally, but i need to ring an 0800 number to activate my copy of windows. 😕
Fibre connection is still fine though.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi DoughPea,
Thanks for getting back in touch!
I've ran another test and our system isn't picking up on a fault. I've therefore responded to Ticket: 84675348 with some checks that we need you to carry out/confirm you've carried out so that we can proceed and book an engineer's visit. Ignore the bit where we ask that you check your line with another handset/take your handset elsewhere to test as you've confirmed you've already done that! Smiley
Let me know when you've carried out all the other checks and if everything seems fine then I can proceed with raising this to our suppliers.