cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mouving to Plusnet.

ragdoll

Mouving to Plusnet.

Hi,

I'm thinking of moving to Plusnet from my current provider when my 18 month contract ends.

I know Plusnet price their broadband packages monthly, but do plusnet bill monthly or quarterly?.

My contract with my current provider ends on August 14th, when should I start the switch?.

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Mouving to Plusnet.

Hi @ragdoll & welcome to the forums.Plusnet bill monthly in advance for your broadband and line rental and in arrears for other items, if you have them.

As to when you should start the switch, that depends on how important your connection is to you. Switches are Gaining Provider Led - i.e. Plusnet would contact and arrange the switch with your current ISP, so the switch should mean minimal downtime, but be aware that there can be unexpected hiccups/

Who are you with at the moment, BTW?

John
ragdoll

Hi jab1

My current isp is BT who bill quarterly which means a big bill every 3 months.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@ragdoll OK, shouldn't be too hard to move then - some ISPs don't like losing customers, and send you 'dire warnings' of what might or might not happen to try and dissuade you. Be ready for some of this if you decide to move.

John
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

BT own Plusnet anyway,  and as jab1 said all you have to do is tell Plusnet you want to move ( or use uswitch or another site, who often have 'deals' ) and they do all the work.  Although I am with Plusnet I have had a gmail.com email account for a while now,  ( others are available ) because it takes the hassle out of moving ISP because your email address is not linked to ISP,  which means you can move to any ISP and get good deals without worrying about changing email address..

ragdoll

HI Wotsup,

Thanks for your comments, yes I knew Plusnet was part of the BT group,it was that fact that made me choose Plusnet.

We moved to BT about 4 years ago after a house move, TalkTalk who were our isp at the time said they couldn't provide broadband to the address we were moving to. When we moved in we had no phone either. When we contacted BT who provided our phone they told us the people who moved out gave BT the wrong moving date and the phone line was still in their name. This may have been why TalkTalk could not provide broadband to that address. 

We moved again a couple of years later to a property where fibre was an option so we had that which meant a new 18 month contract which is coming to an end in August.

What annoys me now is that my first isp was AOL back in 2000. Over the next 16 years they changed names a few times ending up as TalkTalk. I never realized that when contracts came to an end I should have asked for a new one, so for most of the past 20 years I've paid the full amount for our broadband.  

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@ragdoll wrote: I never realized that when contracts came to an end I should have asked for a new one, so for most of the past 20 years I've paid the full amount for our broadband.  

That depends. Yes, you can end up paying more (if there is a cheaper option on offer). But if you are ever thinking about moving ISP once the contract ends, if you don't re-contract, you're free to move on at any time, without any penalty. I was with PN for about 4 months without a contract (old contract price just continued to be charged) as I waiting for a deal that brought me near to what PN were offering to their new customers. I jumped when one came up. TBH I haven't looked back since. And I gained a faster connection!!!

As mentioned by @wotsup  I too would never use any ISP supplied email address for important emails. You're not tied to any particular ISP then. Indeed, having your own domain email address needn't cost the earth nowadays. There's also plenty of free email out there. I have a couple of hands full of them 😀 Handy to have.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from General Chat to Plusnet Feedback.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"My current isp is BT who bill quarterly which means a big bill every 3 months."

That's strange because I receive a monthly bill. Would that be a result of how your bill is paid and maybe not paperless (could also attract a £3/month surcharge)?

All mine is completed on line through my account and by Direct Debit. I don't remember there being a billing period choice, other than monthly, when I moved to BT.

ragdoll

Hi,

BT have provided us with a phone line since 1970. It's always been billed quarterly and paid by direct debit. When we moved to BT broadband the cost was included with the phone bill, hence quarterly. We were never offered any other payment options.