cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More usage Allowance please

xxtrickzxx
Grafter

More usage Allowance please

I signed up for fibre which is fantastic  :)compared to the 1.5 mb I used to receive and streaming videos ie Netflix is now a reality,only trouble is Which I thought would never happen is that 120 gb just isn't enough,I know it's free after 12pm But that is rarely used apart from mac/ps3 updates and the odd hour of streaming before sleepy time,i am not talking excessive streaming either,1 hd movie or tv series lasting 2 hours = upto 5.4gb x 30 days = 162 gb well over the limit.
Have you any plans to change your usage limit? Because you are starting to look  expensive compared to bt and even sky fibre who offer unlimited usage with only p2p traffic management. Sad
25 REPLIES 25
PembsPanther
Grafter

Re: More usage Allowance please

I know I am new here but may I add NOT JUST FIBRE!!!! An unlimited pan for those stuck on old copper would be great as well Smiley
kdoug007
Grafter

i have  to  disagree ( sorrry),,  if  u  use  love  films/  net  flix  they always  use  a  lot  of  usage,,
  just  my  opinion  ,,  but  to me  there  old    movies  anyway ,,
i  have a  10gb  and  im usually about  5gb  at the  months  end,
PembsPanther
Grafter

You can disagree all you want, the fact is this obviously does not concern you with such low use so why even comment? You can use lots of GB's doing many many things not just movies some of us use our computers fro a lot more than surfing and email! The plain and simple fact of the matter is over the coming years "most" of us are going to be using a hell of a lot more download allowance than we are now, it is down to the ISP's to evolve as quickly as the internet itself is not the other way round!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The demands for higher usage limits to be included in standard allowances do concern lower users. The services cost money to provide. Why should lower users be charged more to provide extra download / upload GB which they do not need and do not want? Let the high users pay for the additional usage that they make and let the low users have the cheapest possible service that meets their needs.
PembsPanther
Grafter

I do not recall anyone saying anything about low users subsidising higher use users, also I do not think anyone is expecting an unlimited plan to be provided free of charge, I am ore than happy to pay for an unlimited plan that is inline with Plusnets competitors unlimited plans I just begrudge paying an extortionate rate of £5 per 5GB extra that really is dark ages stuff.
I am going to upgrade ours to the new 120GB plan over the next couple of days but I know we will burn through that in no time, the thought of having to say to the kids oh you can't do this that and the other because of our download allowance again is stuff from the dark ages. I am new to Plusnet and so far am more than happy with their service, compared to "others" it wins hands down but there has to be an unlimited plan soon, dodgy times for ISP's 4g is on the way as well remember.................
Also if they use the word unlimited can we have it actually mean unlimited with no dodgy "fair use" rubbish attached to it, that would be great as well Smiley
x47c
Grafter

I think you have as much chance of getting a truly unlimited "no strings" package as you have of getting an unlimited gas or electric usage supply contract.
Simply because if such a thing existed Plusnet would be deluged with subscribers who would be continually downloading half the internet.
The result would be a sharp detioration in service for the rest.
Plusnet has to buy bandwith allocations from BT Wholesale, so if a few are monopolising most of it, this has to come from reduced availability for the rest.
It's a bit like the super rich/bankers whoever who just get richer and demand even more while the rest just get told that they and their opinions don't matter and have their taxes put up...........
I'd suspect that of Plusnet's 0.5 million customers it is only a fairly small minority who regularly bump up against the usage limits.
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Smiley Smiley Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Are you prepared to give up ADSL2+ speeds for no usage quota?
The legacy Unlimited package was withdrawn once Plusnet started offering "up to 20 meg" speeds. And not everyone on the Unlimited package is continually downloading half the internet.
Some people still don't have water meters yet either, but that doesn't mean we leave all the taps running 24/7. But rather than building some desalination plants, we'll all be getting enforced rationing instead.
JamesM
Grafter

You can disagree all you want, the fact is this obviously does not concern you with such low use so why even comment?

Kdoug007 commented because obviously he has an opinion. Just because you don't like the opinion does not make it any less valid than yours.
kdoug007
Grafter

well  said  m8
dick:quote
PembsPanther
Grafter

Quote from: JamesM
You can disagree all you want, the fact is this obviously does not concern you with such low use so why even comment?

Kdoug007 commented because obviously he has an opinion. Just because you don't like the opinion does not make it any less valid than yours.

No that is fine I appreciate that but it is like us having a thread all about say rugby then someone pops up with the opinion of "I don't like rugby" was it really worth the typing?Huh
PembsPanther
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
Are you prepared to give up ADSL2+ speeds for no usage quota?
The legacy Unlimited package was withdrawn once Plusnet started offering "up to 20 meg" speeds. And not everyone on the Unlimited package is continually downloading half the internet.
Some people still don't have water meters yet either, but that doesn't mean we leave all the taps running 24/7. But rather than building some desalination plants, we'll all be getting enforced rationing instead.

Exactly! Smiley
Isp's and mobile operators use the word "unlimited" to freely, I wish OFCOM would jump up and down on the  it either IS unlimited or it is NOT fair use policies are pants and a dodgy get out clause for ISP's not fair on the consumer.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

@xxtrickzxx
Hi,
Thanks for getting in-touch, glad to hear that your enjoying the fibre speeds, unfortunately we do not offer an unlimited service at the moment, there are several ways you can manage your usage.
Doing any downloading/updates during off-peak hours of 12AM - 8AM is not counted towards your usage allowance. You can set your <a href="https://portal.plus.net/data_transfer_watch//">Maximum monthly spend</a> to £0 at which point you can still browse at no extra cost but at a reduced speed. If you haven't you'll get charged £5 per 5GB.
theberrys
Grafter

Thats all fine and dandy, except the speeds are so slow that it takes about a minute to load any sort of webpage.  I am currently over my usage and refuse to pay any more for usage.  Straight from 38mb/s to 256kb/s is way to steep a drop.