cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moody Installer

MadDragon
Grafter

Moody Installer

Hiya. First of all, I got my fibre installed and so far *touch wood* it's working great! (Old speed around 1.5Mb download and 0.6 upload. New speed atm 38Mb download and 8.59 upload!). So very happy with that.
What I'm not happy about is the bloke who installed it. I know he's a BT guy so not really your problem I guess, but thought I'd just let you know.
First thing is he didn't ring up and then turned up around 11:20 when I had chose the 1-6pm slot so it's just as well I was in.
As soon as he was through the door he took 1 look at the faceplate of the phone socket and said (with a lot of attitude) "that's a new faceplate!, why didnt you get the extension done then instead of now!?" I explained that it had a new faceplate because they had to fix a problem with the phone line awhile back and they replaced the faceplate then. (Apparently that was'nt a good enough reason, but eventually he stopped moaning...) And at the time I didn't need the extension (didn't have fibre then, and the phone wasnt a problem where it was. Now i'd have a hub, router, and phone plugged in). He also said "you'll probably have to pay for this" I said it was free when I signed up for it (I clicked the free install checkbox). But he moodily said something along the lines like "I'm just telling you that you might have to pay for it, and I'll be making a note that I've done the extension". I couldn't be bothered to argue, so didn't say anything about it after that.
Anyway after arguing with him about the extension (which surely he should of just installed anywhere without me having to arguing with him first.) I asked him if he needed anything moving (to make things easier for him) he completely ignored me, so I just gave up and let him get on with it so I could get the moody bloke out of the house...
He asked about how I'd want the cable going to my room, I suggested 1 way and he did it his way anyway so I don't know why he bothered asking in the first place, but I wasn't bothered where the wire went anyway, so I guess it's not a problem. Just seems a bit silly asking a question if you aren't interested in the answer lol.
The cable he installed was stapled pretty poorly. Its loose in places, some places the staples are digging into the cable, 1 staple he somehow missed the doorframe and just left half the staple sticking out. He asked if I needed a BT hub (obviously I did, it says so in the manual about what he should do when he turns up, 1 of which was give me a hub.) And I said "yes, I only have the router" he mumbled something about I should of had 1 sent to me, and then went and got 1 from his van.
He installed everything and sat and filled out a questionare thing in about 15 minutes (not suprising it was quick with the quality of the work done),  and off he went.
I'm not after getting anyone out to fix the poor job or anything (it'll do. As long as I have nice fast internet I'm not too bothered about the cabling). And to be honest I don't fancy another moody bloke in the house lol. His attitude was just appalling and it isn't what you'd expect. (BT people who have come and fixed my phone line in the past were nice).
So yeah, great service from plusnet as usual regarding fibre speeds, so thanks for that Smiley and rubbish service from BT!  >:(. I just hope I don't have any problems and have to have BT come out to fix them...
5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Moody Installer

Hi MadDragon,
Did you notice if he came in a BT Oenreach van or some other van?  BTOR use sub-contractors a good deal for fibre installation.  One sub-contractor is notorious for being unhappy / poor at installing data extension kits and reluctant to hand over modems.
I guess they get a fixed fee for the job and installing a data kit takes time they'd rather not be bothered to expend.  Further I would have expected a real BTOR guy would be aware that VDSL faceplates have been installed as standard practice on most lines having a repair event.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MadDragon
Grafter

I'm not sure. We have a big bush out the front and could only see the front end of the van from the house (it had a white front if that helps lol). He used a samsung tablet though when doing some tests which the usual BT guys do using a big black old-looking device. So I guess he was probably that moody sub-contractor.  Grin
Anyway thumbs up to plusnet for getting me switched to fibre without any problems. Just wish BT chose a bit more friendly installer!  Smiley
Cruise85
Grafter

Hi MadDragon
Very sorry to hear of the experience that you encountered in regards to the Openreach engineer ( or potential subcontractor)
I will certainly raise this as feedback to Openreach
I am however glad to hear that your service is up and running effectively, and I'm sure that you are noticing a massive difference in your download speeds
If you would like an engineer to re attend however to rectify the workmanship done by the previous engineer, please let us know, and we can attempt to get an engineer out to resolve this
Regards
Matt
MadDragon
Grafter

No problem. It's working and thats all that matters really.  Smiley
I'll pass on having another BT bloke come round. I might just buy some of those little hook-things and attach the cable to the skirting a bit better at some point. But for the time being I'm just enjoying seeing how quick things download! Smiley
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Feel free to let us know if there are any further problems.
I'm glad that everything is working though Smiley
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet