cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long term sync speed problem

mapletree
Grafter

Long term sync speed problem

I've had a sync speed problem for a long time now.
When I first went on to DSL Max I had a MSR of 2848 and a fault threshold rate of 2278 and this with non ideal internal wiring (cheap 15m phone extension cable to router).  I am on a long line so I am not surprised at these figures.
In April I had a problem with my internal wiring which caused my speeds to drop down very low.  When I had fixed this my best sync speed was still only 2112K and PN automatically closed my ticket without the fault being completely fixed.
I now have my router right next to the master socket and am only getting 2048K.  (In April I could get over 2300K at the master socket with the same SNR margin).  I have tried all the obvious things like swapping everything and nothing improves the situation.  I have now raised another ticket but there seems little activity on it (nothing for over 24 hours).  The last comment was that they cannot precede with testing because I have not connected my router to the test socket (I don't have an NTE5 master socket so I cannot comply with this request).  Furthermore the comment said that my speed is not too bad considering the attenuation on my line.  Well I disagree -- it is *below* the fault threshold rate.
I know it's not a major problem like a complete failure but I am getting very cheesed off with it all the same.
End of Rant.
40 REPLIES 40
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Long term sync speed problem

24 hours is nothing.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

James
Grafter

Hiya,
Looking at the connection itself, there's not really been any change.  The noise margin has gone up without any change in the sync speed, so I'd recommend a reboot - hopefully it should improve the speed a bit.
I'm hoping for an increase of about 500Kbps.
mapletree
Grafter

I've rebooted loads of times (but not too frequently) without any significant change in the sync speed or average SNR margin.   I fail to see how yet another reboot will make any difference.  Please note my actual SNR margin varies quite a lot so, if you are looking at my ticket where it shows an 11dB margin then it is not really a useful comparison.
James
Grafter

Possibly not.
I had hoped that as your sync speed hadn't increased and that your noise margin had, would be that your router was handling the line better and a reboot would cause it to resync at a lower NM and a higher sync speed.
mapletree
Grafter

My two routers behave a little differently.  One (Zyxel) syncs at a slightly higher speed (2112K) but with a much more variable SNR margin (from 10-15).  The other router (currently connected -- a 2700HGV) syncs at a lower speed (2048K) but with a more stable SNR margin (around 15dB).  It makes no difference what time of day I reboot either.
I am 100% sure there is a fault and that it is not in my equipment.
James
Grafter

That's fair enough.
As you're syncing beneath your FTR I'd recommend going to http://faults.plus.net and raising a fault.
If you haven't had any update coming tomorrow, I'll go and play with BT for you.
mapletree
Grafter

I have raised a fault already (Saturday).  I'm still awaiting a response from PN.
James
Grafter

Course you have.
I'll send it through now.
mapletree
Grafter

Thanks.
mapletree
Grafter

I have just posted this to my speed fault ticket (29770013).  I would be grateful if James or someone else could consider this ASAP, thanks.
"UPDATE: My voice line has developed a new fault from 8pm on the 26th.  NB: This was not present before but it may be linked to the broadband issue.  I cannot receive incoming calls anymore.  I have reported it to BT who say that their tests indicate that there may be a fault near or in my premises.  I'm not sure how this would impact the broadband fault investigation.  Please advise as an Openreach engineer is booked to visit me on the 27th August (tomorrow)."
(Around 8pm tonight all incoming calls only made the phone ring once or not at all.  My broadband connection dropped and resynced each time.  The caller reported that it sometimes rang but went dead quickly or straight away.  This is a new problem BTW!)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suggest you ring the faults reporting number and discuss it with them 0845 140 0080 or 0114 296 5188
pierre_pierre
Grafter

isnt this the same as the one in Broadband speed?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: mapletree
I have just posted this to my speed fault ticket (29770013).  I would be grateful if James or someone else could consider this ASAP, thanks.
"UPDATE: My voice line has developed a new fault from 8pm on the 26th.  NB: This was not present before but it may be linked to the broadband issue.  I cannot receive incoming calls anymore.  I have reported it to BT who say that their tests indicate that there may be a fault near or in my premises.  I'm not sure how this would impact the broadband fault investigation.  Please advise as an Openreach engineer is booked to visit me on the 27th August (tomorrow)."
(Around 8pm tonight all incoming calls only made the phone ring once or not at all.  My broadband connection dropped and resynced each time.  The caller reported that it sometimes rang but went dead quickly or straight away.  This is a new problem BTW!)

I should point out that it's possible to have a working broadband, but no calls in or out are possible at all - and they don't interfere with broadband.

Officially, you are only allowed one kind of fault at a time...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

mapletree
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
I suggest you ring the faults reporting number and discuss it with them 0845 140 0080 or 0114 296 5188

Done.