Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Chat - Needs Fixing Please

FIXED
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Live chat Just a general query

Withdrawal of CHAT may be in breach of Disability legislation too ie disabled clients must have equal access to PN service.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

And still no posts by Plusnet staff Lips_are_sealed

Breach of disability rights must be commercially sensitive

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

@Gel wrote:
Withdrawal of CHAT may be in breach of Disability legislation too ie disabled clients must have equal access to PN service.

Not sure that would be the case , given the information contained is this article 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

in another thread.. @bobpullen wrote this...

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

it doesn't make sense to deliver service to all customers in the same way.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Whilst it is taken "out of context"... the wording is somewhat insulting... and shows that Plusnet will only deliver service to the privileged many... rather than the disabled few. 

@bobpullen , nor any other "admin", or "staff"  has not been seen anywhere near the thread about Live Chat being DISABLED.. to give priority service to the privileged hearing customers..

Why not?

shutter
Community Veteran

Those "services" are a "cop out" so that they can claim they are not discriminating, and that there are "alternatives available"... howeve... if you were disabled, with a hearing problem... how would you feel if the service that you use as simply as a person who can use a phone.. ( and at the same cost. - nil  if you are a plusnet customer )  then have to try to work with the text to speech, and speech to text system that takes forever to complete a one line sentence . each way. at a cost on the phone .?   Have you ever been able to explain to someone in a "one liner" what your problem is... and get a "one liner" reply solving it?  imagine how long that would tie up the phone line, and the "customer service agent".. thus increasing the already long waiting times ( occasionally ) on the phone for the privileged people.

the operative words in @ITWorks is "equal access"... the text to speech/speech to text system is not equal to a Live chat /Normal phone type communication.. it is an "alternative"

normal hearing  customers can use live chat, when it is working.   but deaf/hard of hearing disabled people cannot use the phone in the same way.. when live chat is not working.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@shutter  while i totaly agree with your posts , lambasting staff is not the way to put your point across , @bobpullen has been here ages and has helped every where he can .

PN are in the wrong here , but we can never get them to admit it

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

@shutter wrote:

Those "services" are a "cop out" so that they can claim they are not discriminating, and that there are "alternatives available"... howeve... if you were disabled, with a hearing problem... how would you feel if the service that you use as simply as a person who can use a phone.. ( and at the same cost. - nil  if you are a plusnet customer )  then have to try to work with the text to speech, and speech to text system that takes forever to complete a one line sentence . each way. at a cost on the phone .?   Have you ever been able to explain to someone in a "one liner" what your problem is... and get a "one liner" reply solving it?  imagine how long that would tie up the phone line, and the "customer service agent".. thus increasing the already long waiting times ( occasionally ) on the phone for the privileged people.

the operative words in @ITWorks is "equal access"... the text to speech/speech to text system is not equal to a Live chat /Normal phone type communication.. it is an "alternative"

normal hearing  customers can use live chat, when it is working.   but deaf/hard of hearing disabled people cannot use the phone in the same way.. when live chat is not working.

@shutter your post seems to suggest that I have given an opinion regarding what has happened with live chat, I have not. I was just pointing out that I did not think PN was in ( rightly or wrongly) breach, given the information that I linked to .

My views on this are clear, that it should always be available, I have made quite a few (very clear) posts regarding this on the SU boards

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

@ITWorks  sorry if it came across that way... what I was trying to emphasise, was that disabled customers should have equal access, to plusnet services, according to their needs... in respect of  the "normal hearing " customers could use EITHER the phone OR the Live chat... ( when it was working ).. but the disabled customers have a limited access when Live Chat is deliberately disabled in favour of the "normal hearing" customers. 

shutter
Community Veteran

@rongtw I was not lambasting staff, as you put it.....but drawing attention to the fact, that the @bobpullen and otherstaff seem to be "all over" other threads, but despite repeated comments asking for answers NOBODY from PlusNet staff has been "polite" enough to come on and explain

WHY LiveChat has been disabled,...

When it is likely to be re-instated, or

IF it is ever going to be re-instated. 

Repeated requests for some explaining information to customers wanting to use Live Chat, on the access pages, have , again,... been ignored... leaving those customers ( normal hearing & Disabled hearing) floundering around, trying to figure out why Live Chat is not working "for them"... ...

(must be something wrong with my computer, it was working a couple of weeks ago... what have I done.. or thoughts such as..).. and keep on trying to figure out why they cannot access that service.

for a company that is trading (falsely, we now know ).  on " We`ll do you proud " .... and "Award winning customer service"... this is diabolical way to treat customers,  to say the least.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Just to be clear guys, where I've been quoted above, I'm talking about network/bandwidth delivery, not service delivery.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

What is needed here is PLUSNET to make a statement !!

Or what is called comunicate with its customers , this is why you have a service status page to let customers know whats happening to their service ,,,,,,,,, Or LACK of some part of it , Dont Plusnet managers realize that if they said they were removing Chat on the service status page some of the posts whould not have been made .

The way this has been handled by Plusnet is miserably inadequate , god knows how you deserve the awards you recive !

shutter
Community Veteran

@bobpullen wrote:
Just to be clear guys, where I've been quoted above, I'm talking about network/bandwidth delivery, not service delivery.

Just to be clear guys..... this is true...  as I said... taken out of context....

just to be clear guys..... the other point to be clear on is that PlusNet staff have defended themselves on a "taken out of context" quote on this thread.. 

but have not answered any of the questions in the post it was used. ( post number 30 above ).

;

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@shutter wrote:

So... how can it be, that shutting down one service , will improve the other  ? ?

@shutter - I'll answer this one for you - frankly there are too many access channels, with a worrying 'bent' on being fashionable over how Plusnet thinks users want to interact, rather than how the need to interact.  There is a very robust discussion taking place in the SU space on this subject.

One of the marked disadvantages of having multiple channels of contact is that in order to attempt to get any advantageous edge possible, users are seeking to address the same issue through multiple channels CONCURRENTLY.  Also all of the "official" channels being synchronous communication means that all issues dealt with "officially" need immediately available support resources.  There is significant evidence that users have been sat waiting on a CHAT queue and on a phone queue concurrently thereby causing a melt down.

Closing one route of access avoids duplicate queue loads and that more resource can be put on to the phones.  The consequences is that across the board the problem back log has been reduced.

It is recognised that this could have been done differently.  There has been discussions this morning with one of the senior managers within the SU space and I'm hoping for more news on this matter directly.  Be assured that the suspension of chat is a temporary measure.

FWI I fully understand the difficulty here for the hearing impaired and the all too frequent lack of consideration for such people.  My step son is profoundly deaf (has been since birth - and mute) and I'm dismayed over the number of occasions where me or his mother have been trying to deal with a matter for him ... and the other party has said "DPA ... I need his permission for you to act for him ... can you please put him on the phone to say its OK for you to speak for him!!!!!!!!!!!".  For the avoidance of any doubt that was not Plusnet.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Townman wrote:

@shutter wrote:

So... how can it be, that shutting down one service , will improve the other  ? ?

@shutter - I'll answer this one for you - frankly there are too many access channels,

I disagree.....

there are too many longstanding problems with Plusnet management/leadership

too many recurring problems with the infrastructure, that customers WILL need to contact PN about... line problems, provisioning problems... billing problems,.. failed appointment problems  and many more..

If Plusnet management had dealt with these problems, and eliminated them, then there would be less reason for customers to be on the phone waiting for answers from staff who have little they can actually do about it, apart from pass it along the line to a team leader, who will pass it on to another department  et al..

The othe major problem is again, with the management..

constantly advertising " Award winning service"  and  "we`ll do you proud"   to attract new customers.......

OK... there`s nothing wrong with that ............ in theory.........

IF  and it is a BIG IF.. you can deliver what you are advertising...  Check on the rest of PlusNet Feedback... and you can see there is a failure in this .

WIth increased customer base... and the same old.... same old... problems being complained about... I refer to my thread of 9 years ago.... Get more staff to answer tickets and phones.    the reply to that...was always the same..... " Give us time.... and we`ll get there  "...

another dismal performance by management/leadership to properly train, and keep, those trained staff, who have left for whatever reason....

The new Plusnet towers in Leeds, ( i think ) was supposed to address the problem of phone waiting times...but it, too, seems to have failed miserably.

frankly there are too many access channels,

for someone who has been using Live Chat almost since it was started... there is only ONE access channel...  I am sure that anyone else who is hard of hearing will agree...

so shutting it down is almost a criminal offence,...

with a worrying 'bent' on being fashionable over how Plusnet thinks users want to interact, rather than how the need to interact.  There is a very robust discussion taking place in the SU space on this subject.

not quite sure how a sevice for the disabled, i.e. Live Chat can be described as "fashionable"...

where on earth is the SU space. ?

One of the marked disadvantages of having multiple channels of contact is that in order to attempt to get any advantageous edge possible, users are seeking to address the same issue through multiple channels CONCURRENTLY.  Also all of the "official" channels being synchronous communication means that all issues dealt with "officially" need immediately available support resources.  There is significant evidence that users have been sat waiting on a CHAT queue and on a phone queue concurrently thereby causing a melt down.

Closing one route of access avoids duplicate queue loads and that more resource can be put on to the phones.  The consequences is that across the board the problem back log has been reduced.

Whenever I have had occasion to use Live Chat... the wait has been less than 20 minutes, during the daytime... also... I am able to use my computer, make a cup of tea, a sandwich, do the washing up, clean my shoes, water the garden.. or whatever,  because I can keep returning to the screen and see that my turn number is decreasing, and can estimate when I am likely to be answered.. it also gives me time to formulate my problem by typing it first, and then when a customer service person is ready.. I just send it all as one message.. and it progresses well from there..

You can`t do that on the phone to plusnet.... you have to sit there with it pressed to your ear, listening to crepe music, and crepe  advertising to use the "on line services"   ( OOOOooops! ! !   BIG MISTAKE... we have suspended that service.....   another management failure )...

In my thread started 9 years ago... i suggested that there should be a "your turn is number  xxx " be applied to the queuing system on the phones,...but apparently, this was not possible.... strangely, just about every other major phone accessiblity to big companies seem to be able to use this, and it is a boon to those waiting on the Live Chat service...

So... why did Plusnet decide to close the access route for the disabled?  when they could have closed the phone lines and everyone would have used Live Chat...  

( giving ALL those people  [waiting on the phone]  the advantages of what I have just described above )

They closed Live Chat, because it was easier to offend the disabled minority, and treat them as second class customers, who don`t really matter. 

I doubt if they agree with that,... so I shall use their own language....  "Im sorry if you don`t like that .... but that`s the way it is"...  as has been often said to me on these threads... 

It is recognised that this could have been done differently.  There has been discussions this morning with one of the senior managers within the SU space and I'm hoping for more news on this matter directly.

You see, here is the obvious example of "closing the stable door"   by "senior management"... this scenario would not have arisen, IF they had kept their word... 9 years ( and all the years in between ) about staff levels and training., etc.

Also, these "discussions.... with senior managers"... should have taken place BEFORE closing Live Chat... to ensure that, IF  repeat IF it were considered necessary to shut off a service that disabled customers use... then sufficient advance warning notices, and explanatory notices, with an estimated time for re-opening the service.... ( which could easily have been "updated" as necessary )... should have been discussed, and put in place ON THE POINT OF SERVICE... not hidden away in some response on the forum....

THIS is still not in place... despite it being brought to the fore about a week ago..  Another Management/leadership failure.

Be assured that the suspension of chat is a temporary measure.

Thank you for your assurance... but how can I believe that, after being told,... over the past 9 years...... Give us time... and we`ll get there.....

An estimated re-opening of the service is not available,... (at this time, presumably)......  so your assurance is not exactly encouraging news...  I have seen "temporary road surface" signs on some roads, stil there after a couple of years... and the road surface has not been re-surfaced during that time...........

FWI I fully understand the difficulty here for the hearing impaired and the all too frequent lack of consideration for such people.  My step son is profoundly deaf (has been since birth - and mute) and I'm dismayed over the number of occasions where me or his mother have been trying to deal with a matter for him ... and the other party has said "DPA ... I need his permission for you to act for him ... can you please put him on the phone to say its OK for you to speak for him!!!!!!!!!!!".  For the avoidance of any doubt that was not Plusnet.

Regarding your personal information in the last paragraph... My wife also has the same problem... (when she is talking to some department on my behalf )... particularly with the DWP... however, it can be understood, as they do need to have some kind of safeguard, that they are talking to the "right person".. (or his/her representative ) as they are dealing with public funds.  

In the case of communicating with PlusNet through a third party...(wife) who does not understand anything about how the internet works, or how the service is delivered, would be impossible.. 

and the use of the Text to Voice and Voice to Text services are not an alternative service that I would consider using. ...

If my problems were that bad... I would write a letter, and close the account...

and find another ISP who could provide the service they advertise... and who could deal with me....... (and others like me) ....... a disabled person,      with more dignity and respect than PlusNet have...

( remember I have been a customer for almost 10 years )..

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

I Totaly agree with @shutter   what Plusnet has done here is completely wrong !

And YES we hear the same excuses over and over Embarrassed  Give us time we will get there ??   where are they going ? are they lost ?  well they certainly lost the direction they we going in when i first joined near 8 years ago Crazy2

They have shortage of trained staff but wont admit it !

and no wonder , i quote

"

Plusnet dont value employees or customers

Sales and Retentions (Former Employee) –  Sheffield7 March 2016
Used to be a great fun place to work till BT fully took over and new CEO who replaced Jamie turned the place into a horrible working environment where employees are just numbers just like the BT way.

The goal posts kept being shifted in terms of trying to make you skilled up in provisioning, sales, Retentions and billing so a Jack of all trades a master of none.

The Management were unapproachable and unreasonable.

Definitely not a place I would recommend if you want work life balance, too much stress, too many angry customers frustrated at long wait times and no transparency from Senior Management. Working a lot of Saturdays and Sundays so no life outside work. Arrogant Team leaders bullying staff.
"

Plusnet need some new management who actually know what is needed to make plusnet live up to their marketing insted of just going to quantity over quality