OK, of course it will.
I pointed out over a year ago this link:
http://www.plus.net/residential/faqs.shtml#equipment
"Your computer needs:
        A compatible Operating system
        Compatible Operating systems
        PC - Windows 98 and above
        MAC - OS X 10.5.2 and above"
I only mention it because I recommended PN to a fellow Linux user and this nearly put him off trying  Sad
17 REPLIES 17
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Re: Linux won't work with PN?

I think those minimum requirements relate to the McAfee software which comes with Plusnet protect.
Everything else is linux compatable as a broadband service isn't OS dependent - your router does all that for you.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no it doesnt, that is an extra at the bottom of the list
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I think it was left in as a guide to what we'd support setting up a connection with.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Chris,
This is (yet) another example of the lack of quality control on PlusNet's communications. The Web page is misleading potential customers into believing that they cannot connect to PlusNet Broadband service if using a Linux based computer. What PlusNet means to say is either:
a) You will only support setup queries if usinfg Windoze or OS/X etc, but NOT Linux .... OR ...
b) Your automated setup utility does not support Linux
It certainly doesn't intend to say that PlusNet Broadband service is unsuited to Linux Users.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Heloman
        PC - Windows 98 and above

Surely any Linux user would define Linux as being 'above' Windows 98  Tongue
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
artificer
Grafter

i've been running pclinuxos all the time i've been with plus.net without issue.  joined in 2005.
colintivy
Rising Star

I have always used Linux Ubuntu since joining in 2008. I have a problem now with Ubuntu 10.04.2 which is nothing to do with PN and indeed I am using right now!!
 Cheesy
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
I think it was left in as a guide to what we'd support setting up a connection with.

But that is not what it says, Chris. It implies that you must use either Windows or Mac to work with PN. That is plainly wrong.
By all means say that Linux is unsupported. Most Linux users won't be put off by that.
gswindale
Grafter

To be honest, that list is badly ordered.
If you're going to list

• A compatible Operating system

• Compatible Operating systems

• Mac OS

Then surely it should be

• A compatible operating system

• Mac Os

• Windows

• A compatible connection port

and so on so forth.
I have to say that part of the page looks like it's been put together by BT's customer service team based out where the grasp of English grammar is severly lacking Wink
Wheel_nut
Grafter

I disagree. It is the content that is wrong not (just) the presentation.
You do NOT require a specific operating system or indeed a specific computer configuration to access PlusNet's Broadband service. Indeed, I use a Nokia Tablet which runs Maemo, an incarnation of Linux and it works fine.
The limitation that PlusNet intend to apply is that their Helpdesk will only support Windows and OS/X operating systems. The Webpage under discussion completely mis-communicates this.
... or perhaps PlusNet intended to communicate something different!  Crazy
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Good point, Wheel_nut, in truth I could perfectly well use a PlusNet broadband service without a computer.  If, for example, I had no PCs, Apple Macs or any other 'computer' but had a wii and wanted to game online there's no reason I can see why I'd be unable to set up the internet connection on the wii and be online immediately.  The only limitation I am aware of in this case would be in updating the frimware on the router (I'm not sure you can do that if you only have a Mac).
The fact is that all you need is ANY internet ready device with either ethernet or wi-fi connectivity.  To change the configuration of the router you only need a device with a web browser.
I'b be quite happy to 'install' a PlusNet broadband using only my (Symbian OS) Nokia phone.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: Wheel_nut
    I disagree. It is the content that is wrong not (just) the presentation.

Who are you disagreeing with?  If it's me, then I'm not entirely too sure what you're disagreeing with!
    I never commented on the quality of the content.  I was making more of an observation regarding the layout.
    The list should start with
    For a full support experience you need

• compatible operating system

• Mac

• compatible connection port

• ethernet

Clearly it should then mention that the connection works even with other OS etc however the PN support team will not be able to assist fully as they only have training in the above.
Chris
Legend

I'll get this raised internally to try and get some clarity on that page. Thanks for the useful feedback all.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

How about this updated wording:
Your computer needs:
o An internet browser
o A compatible connection port, either:
- An Ethernet port
        - Wireless 802.11 (B, G or N)
However, support will only be offered on the following:
o PC - Windows 98 and above
o MAC - OS X 10.5.2 and above