Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line reprofiling????

G0FHM
Grafter

Line reprofiling????

Hi all,
I recently migrated over from Sky Connect (now that was utter pants, with EXTREME throttling and even worse support & fobbing off!). Anyway, having been on the Plus Unlimited package for just over a month now, things have been great, with a 6500Kbps IP profile (No LLU at our exchange, so we are at the mercy of BTW), and actual attainable anywhere between 5000-62000Kbps, depending on the time of day.
Until Wednesday, when we had 2 service outages.........
One from approx 10.00-14.00, and the other from 16.00 to approx 20.20. The funny thing was, my other half had the morning outage at her workplace, too (same exchange, different ISP).
I noticed that the Router (Thomson TG585 v7) was actually syncing at 7616/488Kbps, but wouldnt connect. I ran the diagnostic utility, and it told me that there was no ATM activity on the line.
I logged a call to Support, and the router was condemned, and told that a new kit would be sent.
Not unsatisfied with this, but still seeking answers, I dug out an old USB Speedtouch modem, and installed that. Things were the same.... syncing at the same speed as the router, but ATM was showing as cells being sent, with Nil received and Loopback also nil, and no connection.
Another call was logged to the CSC, and a helpful chap called Ewen agreed that it was an ATM problem, and that he would run all the required tests.
When service came back at 20.20, I checked the ticket, and apparently all tests had come back clear.... as far as Plus was concerned, there wasnt a problem.
However, having ran the BT Speedtester, I notice now that it is showing a sync of 7616/448Kbps, but an IP Profile of 500Kbps!!! and the best actual throughput was 410Kbps!!!  Cry
Some 46 hours later, we are still profiled at 500K.... nothing has changed, although the connection is now rock solid and 100% reliable.
I enquired, via the still open ticket, what was happening, and was told that the line needed to reprofile itself after a problem.
Is this the case? or just a "sit tight, we havent really a clue whats going on, but we hope it'll sort itself out in a bit...."?
I've never had a line profile that low, even on a brand new connection!!
If it is indeed a case of a re profile, how long does it take to complete? and will we be likely to see the 6500K that we saw in the past? nearly 48h in, and there has been no movement so far!
I'm not ranting about Plus.... they have bent over backwards to try and find out what is going on.... and have kept us fully updated as to things, and even with helpful diagrams & graphs attached.
My rant is about BTO/BTW.... There has obviously been a problem at the exchange (or planned work), which as affected it seems more than one subscriber. Why the hell are they incapable of letting their customers (the ISP's) know what is going on? After all, I've seen the prices (albeit for 2006) for pipes.... and they sure as hell aint cheap!! You would have thought that with that much money changing hands, they would be a little more "customer focused" and keep people informed!
LLU at our exchange is nothing more than a pipe dream (no pun intended!), as our town has doubled in size in the last 8 years (owing to having a direct rail link to London Kings X), and the local word is, that the exchange (built in the 60's) has no more physical rackspace available, owing to it all being taken up by Telecom & BTO gear. Also, I note that our exchange is due for 21CN upgrade this quarter.... do you think that had anything to do with the outage?
Basically, I hate BT with a passion  Cheesy
Although any answers to my questions here would be gratefully received!
Best,
James

13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Line reprofiling????

It should have changed back already if the blip technology worked - except that it rarely does.  Roll_eyes
So you are probably stuck with it until 3 days have passed which is the normal time for it to sort itself out.  Sad
G0FHM
Grafter

Hi Jim,
I cannot run another BT test for about 90 minutes, but external speed testers (speedtest.net) are still reporting download of 480Kbps.
Latency is still spot on @ 68ms though.
I've heard 2 trains of thought on the reprofiling process. One, is to leave the router on 24/7 until the required speed is attained, and two, is to turn the router on and off at least once in every 24h period, in order to force the best speed possible.
Normally, we turn the router off at bedtime, and fire it up when SWMBO rises in the morning.
If it's going to take 3 days, then it will be an interesting weekend.... 3 PC's on the network, one owned by a 13 year old... and it's gonna be fun, with 3 people scrabbling for limited bandwidth!  Cheesy
James
G0FHM
Grafter

Just been told this, on another forum, about the line profile:
"It can take time for your IP profile to readjust in some cases, but I'd imagine if it was going to rise it would have done so by now. You'll need your ISP to confirm your BRAs profile on their end and then get it logged to BTWholesale."
Does this make any sense to anybody? I thought that was womens underwear? 🙂
James
Oldjim
Resting Legend

it makes sense except it only applies after it hasn't changed for about 5 days - you only have one day to go hopefully.
However after the BT IP profile changes it can take the Plusnet rate a few hours to catch up.
If, tomorrow the IPprofile has increased but the Plusnet version hasn't https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed then a call to customer service asking for a manual bump may help
G0FHM
Grafter

Hi Jim,
Thanks for that....
I appreciate that things take time to "filter through" on t'internet.
It's just confusing me that BRAs is directly linked to Sync speed..... and I'm a solid 7616Kbps, always have been! Although it does take longer to go upwards, and in smaller increments than going down....
I'll sit tight, and try and weather WWIII until tomorrow night  Cool
James
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It is linked but what probably happened was that the exchange fault triggered a resynch at a very low speed and you didn't pick it up.
The problem with the system is that it takes about 75 mins at low speed to drop the profile and 3 days to get it up again - bloody unfair  Crazy
G0FHM
Grafter

It is totally unfair.....
BT, in my eyes, is just legalised Nazism  Grin
I'm going to try leaving the router on overnight for a couple of nights, as I've read somewhere that disconnects and resyncs can reset the "training" process (unless that applies to ADSL2+ only). I normally switch everything off that doesnt need to be on when unattended, for electrical safety reasons, plus I dont think it's a good idea to allow the router to broadcast it's SSID all night.... you never know who is out there with a laptop! Although it is locked down tighter than the proverbial "gnats chuff" so to speak!
Oh I just wish I could watch my favourite Demis Roussos video on Youtube without it stopping to load up halfway!  Cry
James
pierre_pierre
Grafter

It happened to me a few months ago, at 04:00 in the morning, when I awoke, the synch speed was still 8128, but my profile a miserable 400, that took a full 3 days to reset at BT's end, sysch a solid 8128 for those days - Sorry
G0FHM
Grafter

The 72 hours will be up at 20.00ish tonight.....
I just hope that the router being turned off at night hasnt reset the profiling process.....
This is just dire... like 2003 all over again  Sad
James
G0FHM
Grafter

WTF???
Just had an email from PN Support, telling me that they have asked BTW to enable Interleaving on my line, in a hope to "correct my broadband problem".
I only hope that it doesnt muck up the reprofile, else I will be making some SERIOUS noises to people.... Why couldnt they leave well alone, until after 20.00, and see what the reprofile does?Huh
I'm currently paying for an up to 8Mb service, but only receiving 0.5Mb.... had this for 3 days now (as well as a 4h outage)..... I only hope my speed comes back up between 20.00-21.00
Cry
G0FHM
Grafter

Yeeeeehah!!!!  Grin
Ran the BT Speedtest at approx 20.30....
It was showing as IP Profile now raised to 6500Kbps, but download speed was showing as "in the red" at 340Kbps.
A quick reboot of the router, and all is well!
I still hate BT though!  Tongue
James
James
Grafter

Smiley
Glad it picked up without our having to do anything.
It's nice when systems work like they're meant to!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Except they didn't.  Roll_eyes
A drop to 500kbps should have recovered much quicker if the so-called blip technology did what it says on the tin  Crazy