Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line rental charges, really?

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Line rental charges, really?

I get the 50% bit, but I reckon if most of us looked at in more detail I bet it would be nearer 99% of that line time used used for the internet. I did propose to plusnet quite some time ago that as my internet was so bad that we came to an arrangement on a fair price for line usage but this was either ignored or disregarded.

A 100% charge for a lot less than a 50% use? Just don't seem right somehow but there you go, ISP's have us by the short and curlies and no mistake.  

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

If you want to cut out the line rental, install FTTP.

Simples.

Minivanman
Legend

Not so "simples" if you don't have access to it though is it?

If only.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@rongtw wrote:

Ok some will say too simplistic you have to pay for upkeep/repairs But it that BT/OR are milking the network , My phone post outside my house  8 lines so in past year they never been up to do any repairs , so they charge for upkeep of lines that dont need service over a year they pocket thousands .

Yours can pay for Minivanman's engineer visits then.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@rongtw wrote:

to make a call you need line rental and to pay for the call !!!!   is  what you said Chenks

we're clearly talking about landlines here, the discussion is not about mobile or whether someone has or uses a mobile.
but, of course, you knew that. you just decided to try and deflect the debate with an idiotic contribution.
bravo on a job well done

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman wrote:

I get the 50% bit, but I reckon if most of us looked at in more detail I bet it would be nearer 99% of that line time used used for the internet. I did propose to plusnet quite some time ago that as my internet was so bad that we came to an arrangement on a fair price for line usage but this was either ignored or disregarded.

A 100% charge for a lot less than a 50% use? Just don't seem right somehow but there you go, ISP's have us by the short and curlies and no mistake.  

some might say though that you are using the line more than those that just have voice services. so maybe your line rental should increase to take your use into account?

of course, this is in jest, but those who tank their line 24/7 with internet access clearly use their line more than those that use it for voice and occasional internet.

just like the royal mail, everyone pays a flat fee regardless of how much they use the line, just like everyone pays the same for first class post regardless of how far it travels to get to the destination.

Minivanman
Legend

Indeed, which why we hear so much about 'fair usage' policies and don't we have the same with roads or social services? Those that do not have a car or granny having homes visits should not pay in but, that's now it works and I totally agree although by the same token if you are not getting the service that you as an individual are paying for, what then?

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

Actually 

Herman Melville
wildthing666
Grafter

I don't use the land-line either but I also think line rental is outdated I pay for my mobile and use that if needed

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

AAISP offer copper only phone line (no calls in or out) for £10 per month.

See http://aaisp.net/broadband-home1-info.html#more

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DSearleUK

I very much agree. It is time to end line rental, standing charges and any other means by which service providers charge you for providing absolutely no product. It's like my corner shop charging me for paper bags even when I buy no sweets. It's like the local garage charging me for the use of their pumps even when I buy no diesel. Vodafone have made a brave attempt to change things but much more needs to be done to make the situation fair for consumers, especially where these charges make up the vast majority of the consumers bill. Ofcom take note.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Somebody has to pay for the infrastructure that gets the broadband signal to the home so it's hardly "absolutely no product."

Hopefully the latest guidelines will make the pricing more transparent.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I think the general consensus is that the price should be for just the end product nothing more. And obviously the end product price includes everything relevant.

Breaking things down to various components are of little interest to consumers. That should be left where it belongs in the accountants office.

Consumers are getting fed up with what is no more than a spin on their bills.

When I buy a stamp I don't get an extra bill for the postman's shoe leather. Line rental/standing charges etc are antiquated and don't belong in the modern world.

wildthing666
Grafter

I totally agree and the likes of TALK TALK are on the right track saying the BB is all inclusive that means no line rental on top for the customer to add to the price of a BB connection

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@wildthing666 wrote:

I totally agree and the likes of TALK TALK are on the right track saying the BB is all inclusive that means no line rental on top for the customer to add to the price of a BB connection

Surely, that should be "BB is all inclusive that means no line rental on top for is included in the monthly cost to the customer - so just the same cost in a different way. Would it not be better to separate line rental and call charges so that there is a contract for each of the three elements of calls, broadband and the infrastructure between the exchange and premises? That would be totally transparent and discounts on contracts with the same supplier would also be clear; removing the MPA complaints regarding "I don't have a phone (connected)".

Phil

MPA - Mobile Phone Addict

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.