Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kbps or KBps?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Kbps or KBps?

I've seen a number of posts (most recently on TBB) where people are complaining about not getting the speeds specified for the product along the lines of
I'm only getting 15KBps when the expected speed is 128KBps

In actual fact the product specification says 128Kbps which is 16KBps so the product is running to spec.
Would it not be an idea to highlight on pages such as http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml that the tables specify bits per second whereas many software applications report speeds in bytes per second and that to convert you divide by 8?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: Kbps or KBps?

I think it's a tough call.
We sell an upto 8Mbps product.  Should we start saying we sell an upto 1MBps service?
Broadband speeds are always reported in kilobits and megabits per second, but often people will prefer to see kilobytes and megabytes when referring to download speds.
It's a bit like six of one and half a dozen of another.
Be3G
Grafter

As far as I can tell, John isn't proposing that Plusnet change the way they express speeds - merely that they explain the two different methods for expressing speeds, and how theirs compares to the other one. I think it's not a bad idea as there is quite a bit of confusion on the matter out there.
scootie
Grafter

i 2nd this idea.
i belive jelv has not put forward that plusnet change the speeds qouted all over the website, just that a wee note that is visable on the expected speeds page where the customers are geting what speed there package is designed to run at on diffrent traffic and place a wee bit of extra info for PN's customers.
i can only see less of what a appear to be negative mis guided threads about PN on other forums coming from this for so little change of the website
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Be3G
As far as I can tell, John isn't proposing that Plusnet change the way they express speeds - merely that they explain the two different methods for expressing speeds, and how theirs compares to the other one. I think it's not a bad idea as there is quite a bit of confusion on the matter out there.

Prezacerly!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

I'll make the suggestion.