cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Got Up And Running After 4 Weeks

Glenn
Grafter

Re: Just Got Up And Running After 4 Weeks

I had a read around but ended up turning the router off then on again and left it for 20 mins but the internet light was still red.I'm connecting to it on wi-fi....so I tried logging into my router which worked but there was no internet connection...so had to manually enter my broadband username and password in the router settings to get a connection.Do I have to do this each time I restart the router ?  Undecided
Under DSL Connection there is no view more option and this is all there is:
DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 1:06:24
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 8.755
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 5,86 / 67,54

I ran a BTw speed test and got this:
Download Speed (Mbps): 8.09
Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.38
Ping Latency (ms): 43.00

It wouldn't do further diagnostics...said there was a problem and to try later.My current line speed in my plusnet account says 21Mb...but I assume that's just the default before it really tests it.  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Are you sure there is no View more  Shocked
With the DSL stats, you normally click on View more so that it shows all the Noise Margin, Attenuation and Error figures.
Can you say what Firmware version it is?
Edit correct the context.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

View more is shown only on the Broadband Connection summary page. If you click View more on that page, or DSL Connection in the navigation menu you get the page you copied.
From this page you need to click Details (top right) to get the full information being requested. It will be like:
Uptime: 5 days, 14:09:07
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,201 / 9,232
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 417.52 / 838.87
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.2 / 34.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.9 / 3.4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2,988 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1,438 / 58,908,695
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 163 / 9,394
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 424 / 205,889
David
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that spraxyt, I hadn't got mine on-line so for forgot that  Embarrassed
@Glenn
Hope the above helps. And you shouldn't have to enter your username and password every time you reboot/restart the modem/router only after a factory reset. If you continue to have trouble with accessing stats, logging in etc., it might be a good idea to do a factory reset and start again.
You can do a factory reset by the paper clip in the back method or if you can log in to the modem/router, click on the "Technicolor Gateway" tab and then pick the "Reset my Technicolor Gateway" task from the Pick a task..... list. BUT Ideally, go off-line first (see below)
If you want to change the configuration, do a factory reset, or if you are experimenting, or even at any time you want to reboot/resync, swap filters etc., I suggest you use this method -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on, now wait a few minutes, then power down. Wait a moment and then unplug from the line.
Then wait at least 10 minutes (with the line disconnected) - during this time you can alter the modem/router configuration, you can reboot as may times as you like offline to make sure your changes have stuck, you could swap any filters, or the modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again & connect to the line.
You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session.
If you check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  The reason for this procedure is to help prevent the Exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection with the possible consequences of a raised Target SNRM and/or on 21CN, a banded connection..
You can use the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
You don't have to wait for the automatic setup if you do a factory reset, you can enter your details yourself, which you could do whilst still offline.
Should you wish, you can turn off the TR-069 in the member centre (login required). You can read the FAQ on TR069 here.
Glenn
Grafter

Thank you both for the info...it's much appreciated...I'm a complete noob and need walked through it all at this stage.I thought I was meant to wait for the internet light to turn solid green before I logged in...but I could only connect by going into the router admin page and entering my user/password to start the internet connection.Thanks for the advice on restarting/resetting without incurring the wrath of the DLM.  Smiley
I did just finally see the options on the right...overview/details...doh...clicked details and finally got the stats:

DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 7:49:30
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 27,48 / 988,20
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 13,0 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17,8 / 36,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23,4 / 6,0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2.881 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5.236
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4.629

Anonymous
Not applicable

So taking your "Line attenuation (down)" and putting that into the Kitz calculator gives -

That estimate is for ideal conditions, and does not take account of interference, or the quality of your home phone extension wiring.
Hope that helps  Smiley
Glenn
Grafter

Hi purleigh...thank you very much for doing that...it does help....I'm a mile (1.6km) from the exchange by road so maybe the line is around the length kitz gives.  Undecided  Smiley
The speed estimate is disappointing...I thought it ought to be much better.I was expecting like 14/15 Mb/s instead 9/10 Mb/s...It's a new line install and I'm plugged straight into the master socket with the micro filter of course.  Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Looks like you're in sync at 8755kb/s with a downstream SNR margin of 6dB - I'm not sure it'll get any faster than that to be honest, unless there's some kind of interference in your premises that can be eliminated. I'm sure there'll be other forum members along soon with ideas on how that can happen.
If there is anything we can do to help though please let us know.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does your MASTER SOCKET have a detachable faceplate ? like this -

If so it would be interesting to know whether you get higher sync speeds by plugging your microfilter into the TEST SOCKET.
Glenn
Grafter

It does...it has the OpenReach logo on the top left as well....not sure about disconnecting again to put it in the test socket since I'm now in the 10 day training period and I already restarted the router earlier this morning.  Smiley
Glenn
Grafter

Just did a speed test on the BTw tester and got the further diagnostics this time on my line....

Only slightly better than 20CN....my new line must be capable of better.  Undecided  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Bearing in mind you said that this was a new line installed, do you have any fixed extension sockets running from the master?
Are you using any plug-in extension leads for the modem/router at all, or is it the original short lead that came with the modem/router and the filter plugged directly into the socket?
Even though it's a new line, that doesn't mean it is problem free, though it ought to be! Can you hear any audible noise, pops, crackles etc when using the phone? Had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
Glenn
Grafter

Hi Anotherone....I don't have any extensions from the phone socket...just the micro filter is plugged into it and the short grey ended cable is plugged inbetween the microfilter and the router.I do have a surge protected 4 plug electrical extension that the router is plugged into...no reason for that but I thought it might be a good idea.  Smiley
I actually don't have a phone just yet so don't know if the line is noisy...I will be getting one very soon tho...I know even if I don't use the landline it's important to be able to hear if the line is quiet or not.  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

That's all good then. No point in plugging into the test socket, except maybe when you've got a phone if you are hearing crackles and want to make sure the front plate is connecting properly with the back plate.
The current sync speed is a little disappointing. Post back when you've got a phone and we'll see if there is anything else worth pursuing.
Glenn
Grafter

The sync speed is disappointing....I will post back when I get a phone and see if the line is quiet.  Smiley
Out of interest...here's the latest router stats....no change except for an increase in errors it seems:
  DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 13:17:02
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 49,84 / 1,70
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,9 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17,8 / 36,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22,9 / 6,0