cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermitent connection to Wireless modem

sean3101

Intermitent connection to Wireless modem

I have huge problems connecting to my Wireless modem, it has NEVER worked properly since3 it was installed.
Sometimes it connects first time.
Other times I have to disconnect, reconnect, reboot, repair the connection etc. etc.
I asked Plusnet to address the problem and was told it was the manufacturers fault.
I rang the manufacturer (Cost £30) and they ran diagnostics etc. and was told the router was not issuing an IP address to the laptop when the handshake occurs.
This to me points to a problem with the router, but all I got from the Plusnet help desk was a statement that the Internet connection was being delivered to the house and that the problem was with the laptop.
I previously had a Sky router and had NO PROBLEMS for the 2 years I used it for.
Anyone have a similar problem?
I will be looking for another broadband provider ASAP.  Angry Angry
Plusnet customer service has poor and really been no help at all.

8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: Intermitent connection to Wireless modem

Hi Sean,
Have you tried using a different wireless channel on your router incase the communication issues are being caused by interference?
If the router is indeed faulty, we'll be more than happy to replace it for you.
sean3101

Pls refer me to where the instructions are to change the wireless channel.
Interference would appear to be the problem, but I still get the problem when I am sat right next to the router!!
If I plug the main cable in, which is a trouble-shooting option, the problem is immediately resolved.
However I do not work close enough to the router to use the main cable, so I need the wireless to work properly.
I am careful to make sure microwave and mobile phones are switched off before trying to connect.
The whole thing is extremely annoying, the service has been poor from day 1, is far more expensive than I envisaged, and the customer service has been very unhelpful to say the least. They just shift the blame to other parties/devices.
Angry Angry

scootie
Grafter

http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/intfs/?be=0&l0=3&l1=1
go to this page on your router if its the PN supplied one, click on your wireless ssid at the bottom of the tree, then click configure in the top right
you will get the screen below where you can change the channel
p.s am not on sky, i just like to hide inbeetween all the sky ssid's in my street so i dont stand out and make it more diffcult for people to guess what make and model of router i have  Wink
sean3101

The 'Channel Selection:' is currently set to Automatic, if I change this the only other option is 'Manual'.
Is that all that needs to be changed, seems too simple to me.
I don't want to make any changes until I know the full impact.
If I make the change what else needs to be changed either in the configuration or on the router?Huh
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just below where it says manual is a box showing the channel you are on, thats where you change it, dont know what your operating system is, but can you do a search on your wireless to find what other stations are near you, then select a channel as far away from them as possible.  Thats all, your  pc will then find your router itself, no action from you
James
Grafter

Re:Intermitent connection to Wireless modem

Hiya,
Are you able to change the channel selection to manual and select a different wireless channel?
sean3101

Are you able to change the channel selection to manual and select a different wireless channel?
Current settings:
Region: Europe

Channel: 11
If I change from automatic to manual I have the option to pick another channel, range 1 thru 13.
BUT which one to pick?Huh
I am loath to make these changes in case it makes the situation worse.
Thx
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Good morning Sean,
If you are still having problems with your wireless settings, the advice given previously is sound.
Try changing your wireless channel to 1 or 6.
It may well be that your neighbours are using channel 11. You will not make things worse and could very well improve matters by using one of the channels mentioned.
Let us know how you get on.
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!