cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving - Why turn it off?

Boz
Rising Star

Interleaving - Why turn it off?

I've recently received an email from Plusnet under the title "Important Information..."
In the email, Plusnet made this statement:-
"We have asked our wholesale broadband suppliers to turn interleaving off at your request.
The stability of your service may suffer as a result of turning interleaving off. If you have problems and want to turn interleaving back on, you will need to use the Broadband Fault Checker at our website."
Apart from the fact that I never made any such request, why would anybody want to turn interleaving off if the stability of the service is likely to suffer?    Roll_eyes
Boz
35 REPLIES 35
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Interleaving - Why turn it off?

Hi Boz,
It can actually improve ping responses for some connections and is often favored by gamers.
It's not really the case that it's likely to make your connection unstable, infact it's been connected constantly since.
As per the reply to ticket 62461052 this was applied as the result of an upgrade to ADSL2+ but we can go ahead and remove interleaving if that's what you'd prefer.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Boz
Rising Star

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

As per the reply to ticket 62461052 this was applied as the result of an upgrade to ADSL2+ but we can go ahead and remove interleaving if that's what you'd prefer.

Hi Adam
You obviously did not read my post.    I did not ask for interleaving to be turned off - so if you could, please leave it turned on.
BTW, I was upgraded to ADSL2+ in May 2011, so why you would start messing about with interleaving, at this moment in time, is beyond me.

Boz
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Ah, sorry . I did read it, butI seem to have interpreted your post differently.
Apart from the fact that I never made any such request, why would anybody want to turn interleaving off if the stability of the service is likely to suffer? 

That's what made me think you wanted it turning off again, I'll cancel the order.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Boz
Rising Star

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I'll cancel the order.

Many thanks, Adam.

Boz
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you look at the count of FEC errors being logged by the router and that is low it would be safe to turn interleaving off to gain a lower latency and possibly a bit more speed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Boz
Rising Star

Thanks, jelv - that explains why you would want to turn interleaving off.    And presumably the converse is true.
Perhaps Plusnet should have fully explained, in their email, their comment:  "The stability of your service may suffer as a result of turning interleaving off".

Boz
dick:quote
Boz
Rising Star

I'm now being told by Plusnet that the interleaving change was requested through my member centre portal on this link:  https://portal.plus.net/my/account_maintenance/interleaving_control.html
How could anyone possibly have access to my member centre portal?

Boz

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Boz,
I'll pick this up with the agent concerned but I can't see any requests for interleaving to be added to your line via the portal - sorry about that. I suspect it happened earlier this month following a modify order that was placed on your account so it wasn't done via the portal from what I can see.
Hope everything is alright with the line now and interleaving is off?
Boz
Rising Star

Quote from: Matt
Hope everything is alright with the line now and interleaving is off?

Am I allowed to swear ?!!
Please, Matt, do not turn interleaving off !!!

Boz
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry about that... I haven't placed any orders at all, and nothing is changing regarding the interleaving (which is indeed still on).
MJH

Embarrassed I've just received an identical e-mail and I don't know why. I never asked for interleaving to be turned off and to be honest I don't know what it is.  Shocked The only thing I did was to upgrade my package a couple of days ago. Mind you, I'm not complaining. I've had excellent support from Plusnet and have done ever since I left the dreaded Talk-Talk. I'm going to let Plusnet turn off the interleaving thingie and see what happens, thereby adding a little tension and drama to my hum-drum life.
Boz
Rising Star

Quote from: MJH
The only thing I did was to upgrade my package a couple of days ago. 

Now that may explain a lot, because I also upgraded to the 60GB deal at the beginning of the month - although it didn't take effect until the 21st. 
Is it possible that Plusnet are messing about with interleaving every time a customer upgrades?

Boz
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

They mess about with your extra usage cap so it wouldn't surprise me if they messed about with this as well!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MJH,
Looking at your line, the records are showing that interleaving has been on Auto since at least the start of October and has been set on Fastpath since then as well?