cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation time window too big.

MrFronk

Installation time window too big.

Hi There,
I'm working fulltime and do not have a lot of holidays available.
I recently purchased fibre, which didn't go very smoothly but that's not why I'm here.
In general, the time windows for people to 'install the fibre optic internet' are +- 5 hours.
Mine is planned in on the 28th for example somewhere between 1pm and 6pm.
The problem for me is the length of this time window, since I also have a dentist appointment at 4pm.
My dentist is just around the corner, so it shouldn't take long, but I'm afraid (as this always happens to me)
that by not being there for 30-60min i'm gonna miss the installer and will need to make yet another appointment.
This could easily be solvable by moving me to either the first or the last on the list, or get a narrower time window.
There is also no way of directly calling the technician.
Anyway, I'm sure my problem is clear.
Could you provide any assitance ?

Frank.
6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Installation time window too big.

Hi Frank,
A warm welcome to the forums.
Unfortunately appointment 'slots' are managed by BT Openreach, they are simply AM or PM and nothing more refined.  Also unfortunately if an earlier appointment "over-runs" then there is a risk of you being seen later ... or not at all!
I do not believe there is anything PlusNet can do about this.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrFronk

Well, since this is a feedback forum, shouldn't there be something done about this ?
I'm a native dutchie, and in the Netherlands its very common to just give you a fixed time (or a window of an hour) when someone will be at your property.
Of course I understand that installments can run late and therefore a window is preferred than a fixed time, but simpy writing this off as
"Oh well, it's not our problem, it's open reach's problem" might be too simply, since your customers are affected by it.
Here's just my 2 cents hoping that there will come an improved customer satisfaction...
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

you need to direct the "feedback" to BT Openreach as it is their appointment system you are commenting on.
Plusnet (just like any other ISP) have no control or influence on it.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Also Kevin (Townman) is just a customer like many around here.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: MrFronk
Well, since this is a feedback forum, shouldn't there be something done about this ?
I'm a native dutchie, and in the Netherlands its very common to just give you a fixed time (or a window of an hour) when someone will be at your property.
"Oh well, it's not our problem, it's open reach's problem" might be too simply, since your customers are affected by it.

Hi Frank,
I agree something should be done about this - BT Openreach being split away from the BT Group and made fully answerable to their customers would be a good start - we all have to have a dream.
I have no idea how the telecoms is run in the Netherlands - here in the UK it is certainly not working - my recent conversations with engineers 'on the ground' indicates that they are frequently sent out to jobs which are a waste of their time and many of the managers making the decisions are "graduates" which is a euphemism for someone still learning their trade assigned a job way beyond their ability and experience.  My point is that appointment slots are outside of PlusNet's remit / ability to control.  may other service providers (delivery and domestic installation agents) do offer 3 hour slots, why BTOR cannot do this I do not know, beyond they think they are a law unto themelsves.
I'm a customer around here just like yourself, I just happen to have a lot of painful experience with BTOR appointments.
Kevin

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi MrFronk,
Quote from: MrFronk

This sounds like a dream, as even Plusnet staff need to book half a day's holiday to get a line installed at their property!
Thanks for the feedback. You raise a good point, and there has been discussion over this between Ofcom and Openreach in past. However, with the resource they have, it seems like our suppliers are being pressed to improve the general lead time for an appointment in the first place, rather than the flexibility of appointments. So would argue that this is preferable, but I guess that'd be very subjective.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet