cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

atiras

Re: IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

I can't access the National Lottery site Sad -- I have a static IP address 81.174.159. xxx.  The problem only started after I moved to PlusNet...
No error message; the connection just times out. PlusNet Safeguard is off.
Suggestions?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: atiras
I can't access the National Lottery site Sad -- I have a static IP address 81.174.159. xxx.  The problem only started after I moved to PlusNet...

That's not going to be related to the issues being discussed in this thread. Might be worth starting a fresh topic if you're still having problems.
Quote from: jjc
146.199.71.233 was still being shown as "infonet" on speedtest.net the other night

It probably will. That's who the range is registered to. The site should correctly identify you as being in the UK though? I'll contact speedtest.net but this is purely an aesthetic problem.
Edit: Got pointed to the form here, so I've submitted an ISP amendment request for all four ARIN ranges.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

thedyes0
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The cPanel Backup at Vidahost.com shows my IP as INFONET Services Corporation, United States. Maybe you could drop them an email Bob explaining what is what because it's just a pesky annoyance being told your IP is from USA or checking last logged in IP and seeing USA which is a little worrying.
Also if it is their entire system then potential customers customers could get a downside by Vidahost's customers website telling their customer that they are from the US (yes a chain reaction lol)
Either way, it's a fault. Hopefully it can be sorted out.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Might this be related to why Google insisted on directing me to US sites since we changed to Plusnet?    My IP shows as 87.115.130.187, which should resolve as UK, so not sure why it's happening, but it's a real pain.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That IP shouldn't be giving you any geo-location related problems. However if you disconnect then reconnect to Plusnet you will be allocated a different IP and some ranges now assigned to Plusnet occasionally show incorrect country problems. It is the latter ranges that are being discussed in this topic.
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: thedyes0
The cPanel Backup at Vidahost.com shows my IP as INFONET Services Corporation, United States. Maybe you could drop them an email Bob explaining what is what because it's just a pesky annoyance being told your IP is from USA or checking last logged in IP and seeing USA which is a little worrying.

Done.
Quote from: Bob
Quote from: jjc
146.199.71.233 was still being shown as "infonet" on speedtest.net the other night

It probably will. That's who the range is registered to. The site should correctly identify you as being in the UK though? I'll contact speedtest.net but this is purely an aesthetic problem.
Edit: Got pointed to the form here, so I've submitted an ISP amendment request for all four ARIN ranges.

I've since received confirmation that this should now be resolved.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: thedyes0

Done.

Whilst it's hardly relevant, Vidahost have asked me to confirm the main domain that's associated with your cPanel account. Would you mind PM'ing me the details?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

StuartUK35
Grafter

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Just rebooted router, now got that dam 146.199.x.x  address ! Sad
So playing MW3 (PC), means the game thinks I am in the US, and the players I pull in when I become host is mainly US, Canadian, and south American, which means they all get bad lag, and the game sometimes doesn't lock onto Euro players Sad
Same applies when searching for servers in L4D2 (PC), it finds US servers, so I get laggy play (ping of 100+)
And same for Titanfall, finds regional games in the US....
Makes my 66mb fibre seem pointless !
Not moaning, cos I know a few reboots will get me a UK Geo IP, but even still, with a 46.x.x.x address, I still attract US/South America/Australian/NZ players ! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'd be happy to try and get this resolved for you but I'm not sure where to start! Undecided
Matchmaking in games is a strange art, evidenced somewhat by what your seeing. I presume Activision would have some bearing over how MW3 behaves and I don't hold much faith in being able to get in touch with somebody there that has any influence over these things?
Left 4 Dead is an odd one though. Isn't that developed by Valve themselves, who are also responsible for the Steam client? I'd have thought you'd experience the same problems with currency etc. in the store too if Valves games think you're based in the US. Perhaps the two don't rely on the same geo-location logic though? Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

CroydonGeorge

Today I tried to sign in to the Lottery but their system said my IP address shows I am not in the UK .
My system says I have these IP addresses:
192.168.1.65 (which has usually be the case) but now it also shows External IP address as 80.189.83.25
This problem may have cost me a fortune!  WTF is going on?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The 192.168.... IP address is your internal LAN address and usually remains constant but has no bearing on your external WAN IP address which is 80.189.83.25.
I think Bob will need to look at this but it sounds to me like an issue at the National Lotttery as here is the info about the IP address range in which your IP address falls -
% This is the RIPE Database query service.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
%
% The RIPE Database is subject to Terms and Conditions.
% See http://www.ripe.net/db/support/db-terms-conditions.pdf
% Note: this output has been filtered.
%       To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.
% Information related to '80.189.68.0 - 80.189.89.255'
% Abuse contact for '80.189.68.0 - 80.189.89.255' is 'abuse@plus.net'
inetnum:        80.189.68.0 - 80.189.89.255
netname:        BV-ADSL-POOLS-1
descr:          RB ADSL
admin-c:        BR431-RIPE
tech-c:         BR431-RIPE
mnt-by:         BVUK-MNT
mnt-lower:      BVUK-MNT
mnt-routes:     BVUK-MNT
created:        2006-06-27T08:52:37Z
last-modified:  2006-06-27T08:52:37Z
source:         RIPE # Filtered
role:           Brightview ROLE
address:        The Balance
address:        2 Pinfold Street
address:        Sheffield
address:        S1 2GU
abuse-mailbox:  abuse@plus.net
admin-c:        SB195-RIPE
admin-c:        DS3916-RIPE
tech-c:         SB195-RIPE
tech-c:         DS3916-RIPE
nic-hdl:        BR431-RIPE
created:        2002-08-07T17:29:51Z
last-modified:  2015-04-21T14:49:04Z
% Information related to '80.189.0.0/17AS6871'
route:          80.189.0.0/17
descr:          BV-PS-GR
origin:         AS6871
mnt-lower:      BVUK-MNT
mnt-routes:     BVUK-MNT
mnt-routes:     MAINT-AS6871
created:        2011-08-09T16:31:52Z
last-modified:  2015-04-21T14:39:38Z
% This query was served by the RIPE Database Query Service version 1.80.1 (DB-3)
Definitely UK. The quickest solution to this is the log into the router, select 5.4 Advanced Options and go to the Broadband Connection box and click "Disconnect" to drop your PPP session (this is not your sync). Wait about 30 seconds and then click connect to start a new PPP session. You should now have a new (different) IP address.
I'm intrigued as to why you think it might have cost you a fortune, don't you have six months to claim any prize you may have won?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think he was trying to get on line to buy a ticket with the numbers 13, 7, 39, 20, 27, 52!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: CroydonGeorge
Today I tried to sign in to the Lottery but their system said my IP address shows I am not in the UK .
My system says I have these IP addresses:
192.168.1.65 (which has usually be the case) but now it also shows External IP address as 80.189.83.25

I think the problem is more likely due to the IP you had earlier this morning, which was in fact 146.200.20.199.
Having said that, I've tested this range before, and I've never been able to replicate a problem with the National Lottery's website Huh
The next time this happens to somebody, it would be very useful if you could screen capture the error.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

danielmclean
Grafter

146.198.109.186  ip address    has issues with vodafone sure signal  as its in the us
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

What issues? Is the problem resolved now you're assigned a different IP?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team