Did you mean: 

IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

ffox
Pro

Re: IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

Site: John Lewis
IP: 146.199.xxx.xxx
Gateway: pcl-bng04
dick:green Full IP edited out from a public forum.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Not the first time that's been reported!
Quote from: g1000
My IP is 146.199.x.x
When I go to johnlewis.com it thinks I'm in the USA and asks if I want to deliver there.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: ffox
Site: John Lewis
IP: 146.199.xxx.xxx
Gateway: pcl-bng04
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Full IP edited out from a public forum.

As mentioned in the preceding post, that should have been fixed as of yesterday. Can you please confirm you have followed the advice in my post and let me know if you're still having problem? Thanks.
Quote from: Bob
Quote from: g1000
My IP is 146.199.x.x
When I go to johnlewis.com it thinks I'm in the USA and asks if I want to deliver there.

This should now be fixed (it looks good from here). If you've previously been redirected to the US site, you may need to select the UK site to get back to the UK variant, or clear your cookies.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

146.198.142.218 is flagged as in El Segundo, California according to DB-IP and belongs to Infonet Services Corporation!!!!!!!
A lot of other sources say it is in the UK but Cyber Ghost insists I am in the US and the Financial Times refuses to supply London Stock Exchange data to  me and insists I need to ask for US data.
If I use CyberGhost to fake a UK ip  then suddenly the FT likes me and if I cancel the fake then it is back to insisting on only US stocks.
I shall try disconnecting and then reconnecting - see if that solves it but this is not very good Plusnet. You have been trying to sort this out for months now.
Edit - Yes, that did it, On an 80: series ip and both CyberGhost and the FT agree I am in the UK  - and now work correctly
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: dgm2015
Further to seeing Bob Pullen's replies regarding the IP range issue and wanted to be made aware of any current issues; the IP addresses are causing issues with Heart Internet related services. My current IP address is 146.199.216.62 and although dynamic, each time I restart the IP stays within the same IP range. IPv4 Address / Gateway is 192.168.1.65.
Are attempts being made by PlusNet to resolve this issue?

Hi dgm2015, welcome to the forum btw.
As per Bob's previous posts you need to tell him which Website it was that you were having problems with, which Gateway you are on at the time you have this issue  and of course  Your IP address at the time.
2 other comments about your "restart" - I hope you aren't rebooting the modem/router. If you are on ADSL then the exchange DLM could see this as a dropped connection which could end up affecting your speed.
The 192.168.1.65 is your LAN side network address and has nothing to do with your external IP address.
When you have made a note of the above, you can usually change your IP address and Gateway by doing a Gateway hop. Log in to your modem/router and where it says Internet (Status - if on the 2704n) click the Disconnect button. This drops the PPP session to the ISP (but not the sync to the exchange if on ADSL and doesn't affect the Modem if on Fibre). Wait about 30 seconds and then Click Connect.
hapless
Grafter

Re: IP addresses not uk

Quote from: hapless
John Lewis for me last week, ip then was 146.200.130.225, but also Teamviewer that evening.

What problems were you having with Teamviewer and how can they be replicated?
It wouldn't let me connect to a friend in Terneife, just timed out.
I had to log out from teamviewer, then try and log in again. Took 3 attempts. In 4 years of Teamviewer use I've never had this before (I only use Teamviewer about 6 times a year for friends with issues!)
Vague question, just thowing it out there, trying to connect the dots as Support don't seem to be...
Could the "dodgy" IP range be connected with higher latency and slower speeds?

No, if you believe you've a problem of that nature, then best start a separate thread (if you haven't already).

Already done on Feedback.
Mr BT came this morning, line tested perfectly.
Current IP address after he left - 146.198.151.19, lots of google search results of the direct IP still say El Segundo.
Interestingly, mxtoolbox says the IP is on 2 spam lists, Spamhaus Zen and Spamrats Dyna.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: EnglishMohican
A lot of other sources say it is in the UK but Cyber Ghost insists I am in the US and the Financial Times refuses to supply London Stock Exchange data to  me and insists I need to ask for US data.

What steps are required to replicate the Cyber Ghost issue? If I browse to their download pages, they seem to be correctly identifying me as a UK visitor?

The Financial Times thing isn't easy for me to test due to the site being behind a paywall, perhaps you can provide some screengrabs the next time it happens?
... this is not very good Plusnet. You have been trying to sort this out for months now.

The challenges we face have been explained in previous posts. Aside from contacting these sites directly, we've done everything we can.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Re: IP addresses not uk

Current IP address after he left - 146.198.151.19, lots of google search results of the direct IP still say El Segundo.

El Segundo is likely to still be referenced because that's where the IP's are registered.
Registered != geo-located
Interestingly, mxtoolbox says the IP is on 2 spam lists, Spamhaus Zen and Spamrats Dyna.

To be expected. It's a dynamic IP so will be on Spamhaus' PBL list (which forms part of the Zen list). This just means that the IP's should never be used for the direct relaying of SMTP messages, which they shouldn't. If you're running your own mail server, then you'd typically have a static IP.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

hapless
Grafter

Thanks Bob.
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro

What steps are required to replicate the Cyber Ghost issue? If I browse to their download pages, they seem to be correctly identifying me as a UK visitor?

I have downloaded the cyberghost software onto my laptop. When I run the programme it puts up a screen with a big yellow button and a map. There is one of the location indicator balloons on the map and a statement "Your real location ..... " and quotes the IP number. As I type, that location is shown as in London so all is ok. On Friday, the location was shown as California. When you push the yellow button it activates the vpl link and moves the location balloon to another location and says, this is where the world thinks you are now (not literal wording). Push the yellow button again and it cancels the link and returns me to where I started.
With the VPN active, the Telegraph worked (see below), without the vpn, the Telegraph did not work. When I disconnected and reconnected the PPP session (got a different IP) the Telegraph started working normally.
CyberGhost was not running - and not even loaded - when I started having trouble with the Telegraph so it was part of the solution - not the problem.
The Financial Times thing isn't easy for me to test due to the site being behind a paywall, perhaps you can provide some screengrabs the next time it happens?

The part of the site I am using is not paywalled - at least, I pay nothing. My bookmark is  :-  http://funds.ft.com/uk/Tearsheet/Summary?s=VUKE:LSE:GBP
This has worked correctly for many months - it is not something new and it works as I type.
On Friday, when I selected that bookmark, the FT was somehow looking at it, deciding that I was not allowed that information and sending me to this site (the US FT site). http://funds.ft.com/us/
(from memory, there was another word after the /). I cannot now get that US link to work as now if I enter the US link, it redirects me to http://funds.ft.com/uk/.
Do you believe that CyberGhost and the FT maintain their own databases of IP addresses. I would imagine that they use a service provider to do this for them and maybe it is the service provider who needs to be told? I referenced DB-IP in my original post as that was the only database that Google found that listed my IP as being a Californian one. You appear to have convinced most of the rest of the google-able ones.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have downloaded the cyberghost software onto my laptop. When I run the programme it puts up a screen with a big yellow button and a map. There is one of the location indicator balloons on the map and a statement "Your real location ..... " and quotes the IP number. As I type, that location is shown as in London so all is ok. On Friday, the location was shown as California.

Replicated that (attached), so I'll try and get in touch with them.
CyberGhost was not running - and not even loaded - when I started having trouble with the Telegraph...

Do you mean Financial Times, or were you having problems with the Telegraph's site too? Huh

The part of the site I am using is not paywalled - at least, I pay nothing. My bookmark is  :-  http://funds.ft.com/uk/Tearsheet/Summary?s=VUKE:LSE:GBP
This has worked correctly for many months - it is not something new and it works as I type.
On Friday, when I selected that bookmark, the FT was somehow looking at it, deciding that I was not allowed that information and sending me to this site (the US FT site). http://funds.ft.com/us/
(from memory, there was another word after the /).

It's not doing that any more from a 146.198.0.0/16 address (attached).
Do you believe that CyberGhost and the FT maintain their own databases of IP addresses. I would imagine that they use a service provider to do this for them and maybe it is the service provider who needs to be told?

Whilst many sites rely on third party geo-location data, they don't always keep things up to date. When we ask a geo-location provider to change the location of an IP range, some sites then have to push the update to their servers.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro

"Do you mean Financial Times, or were you having problems with the Telegraph's site too? Huh?"
I'm sorry Bob, it was the FT site, nothing to do with the Telegraph whatever my fingers typed.
Estragon
Rising Star

The Financial Times thing isn't easy for me to test due to the site being behind a paywall ....
You can register free on the FT website, allowing you some free accesses per month. At signup it says 3, but elsewhere when I did so it said 8. I never remember to test exactly how many I get as I only use it now and then.
ffox
Pro

Site: John Lewis  (via Chrome.  It goes to the UK site via IE11.)
IP: 80.229.xx.xx
Gateway:  ptn-bng01
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The 80.229.0.0/16 IP range is registered with RIPE and has been long established so I'd be very surprised if it were to cause any problems. The fact that you're only having problems with one browser also suggests it's a caching issue rather than anything to do with geo-location.
I'd recommend clearing Chrome's cache/cookies etc. if you haven't already.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team