IP addresses not UK - Can customers please report any problems here

simrjor
Dabbler

Re: IP addresses not uk

@andytay wrote:

Hi Guys

@Anotherone has asked me to post my IP address for you to look at

87.115.xxx.xxx

Tried a number of places say UK or sometimes Ireland. Have a problem with that IP?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full IP address removed from a public forum.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ah, the 8 was missing off the first octet in your previous post, so this is a total red herring and can be ignored. The IP address is Plusnet. See my message 47 over there.

andytay
Rising Star

Sorry guys for the mixup!

@Anotherone

Just a simple disconnect sorted my speed issue and lag!

I wont bother pasting my speed results as they are pretty consistant now.

Thank you for your time and helping me sort out the problem!

noticeto
Dabbler

@JLo wrote:

Hello. I believe I am that "poor sap" who got allocated the Saudi Location IP Address. Did you or Plusnet resolve the issue?

The support rep I spoke to told me that Plusnet is well aware of the problem with 51.*.*.* addresses geolocating to Saudi addresses and has been for some time.

Clearly, they shouldn't be doling out IP addresses they know they have a problem with, but my guess (which the support rep did not disagree with...) is that they simply don't have enough other 'good' IP addresses to go round. Very poor.

You need to get on the phone and tell them you want allocating a different IP address that's free of this problem - they can do that by temporarily allocating a static IP to you - after which you'll be OK and yet another poor sap will inherit your problem.

Again, very poor show by Plusnet. The next time I'm given one of these Saudi addresses I'll take my complaint directly to Andy Baker, because this situation is unacceptable.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

What a quandary. Go back to the old network to escape the 51.x geolocation issue but take a noticeable performance dip especially at peak times or remain on the new network that has better performance but get locked out of some of your favourite sites as they think you're in Saudi Arabia and the sites don't provide service there. I hope they sort this out.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@noticeto wrote:

The support rep I spoke to told me that Plusnet is well aware of the problem with 51.*.*.* addresses geolocating to Saudi addresses and has been for some time.

This particular problem (51.7.0.0/16 geo-locating in Saudi Arabia) has only recently arisen.

Clearly, they shouldn't be doling out IP addresses they know they have a problem with, but my guess (which the support rep did not disagree with...) is that they simply don't have enough other 'good' IP addresses to go round. Very poor.

The IP's were geo-locating correctly when they were first introduced.

You need to get on the phone and tell them you want allocating a different IP address that's free of this problem - they can do that by temporarily allocating a static IP to you - after which you'll be OK and yet another poor sap will inherit your problem.

Again, very poor show by Plusnet. The next time I'm given one of these Saudi addresses I'll take my complaint directly to Andy Baker, because this situation is unacceptable.

The situation could hardly be avoided I'm afraid. I contacted Maxmind last week asking them to correct their records. They now appear to have done this, so the sites that rely on them (Wuaki included) should follow suit as soon as they've updated things their sides.

maxmind.JPG

If anybody is having problems accessing other sites/services from a 51.7.0.0/16 IP then let me know.

Save

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@noticeto wrote:

Have you not heard? The world has run out of IPv4 addresses - the only ones becoming available are those released by organisations who have migrated to full IPv6 address standards.

After that it is down to 3rd party geo-location data vendors to keep THEIR IP location data up to date and for users to keep their copies current.  None of this is PlusNet's fault.  They acquire blocks of IP addresses, register them as being theirs located in the UK and after that the geo-location data resellers and users ought to update THEIR data from the registrars.  Something which is clearly not happening.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

noticeto
Dabbler

It sounds like Plusnet needs to be a lot more proactive in encouraging the 3rd parties to update their records - as bobpullen appears to be doing which is good - to ensure customers receive the internet service they expect and have paid for. After all, there is no shortage of alternatives.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@woodm wrote:
Wuaki TV have this IP blocked as they say their end it shows as in Saudi Arabia :?

I've just removed your static IP as I believe the Wuaki issue should now be resolved. Would you mind checking for me and letting me know? If you are still encountering difficulties then can you please browse here and paste the code that's returned?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Thanks Bob. Wuaki's working fine from a 51.x IP for me now.

Having a quick look at iplocation.net, & from my limited understanding, it's just EurekAPI that still insists the IP is in Saudi Arabia.
dogsbody2

Hi,

First-time poster - please be gentle!

So, since I got back from holiday Steam (the games platform) thinks I'm in Saudi Arabia! My IP is 51.7.xxx.xx

I've spoken to tech support at Steam and Plusnet and everyone's been very polite and conciliatory but nobody seems to be able to fix the problem.

Can someone talk me through (in words of one syllable) how to sort this out?

Thanks in advance!

Dogs

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi @dogsbody2, welcome to the forum. I'd guess that @bobpullen will probably be the man to help you out here. I expect he'll post later on.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@dogsbody2 wrote:

So, since I got back from holiday Steam (the games platform) thinks I'm in Saudi Arabia! My IP is 51.7.xxx.xx

This is probably because EurekAPI are still geo-locating the 51.7.0.0/16 range incorrectly. I contacted them some time ago but still haven't received a response. I've just chased them up again.

Can someone talk me through (in words of one syllable) how to sort this out?

If you switch your kit off for a bit (ten mins or so), then switch it back on, it may help (it may not though).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

frown
Dabbler

I've just come across another site that I'm unable to access since having my fixed IP - 123-reg.co.uk

My IP is in the 81.174.XXX.XXX range which seems unmentioned on here so far?

Any suggestions Bob?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I have a static IP in the 81.174.*.* range and have no problems accessing 123-reg.co.uk.