cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want out

RudolphHucker

I want out

For over a month I have been answering daft questions from alleged support people, trying to make the Plusnet service provider actually provide some service.
Today the whole thing went down again, it really is a very, very poor offering and I would like to exit the contract.
It seems they want to charge me for the Thompson router/modem but I'm only prepared to pay them what it's worth - about £1.25.
This was supposed to be so much better than AOL but in reality it is not even 10% as good. Plusnet continuously falls over, the wireless network hasn't worked properly for ages and I've had enough of the so-called technical people and their random guesses at what might be solutions.
Rudolph Hucker
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: I want out

In my experience Plusnet support make random guesses when they are given random information on which to try to work out what is going wrong!
If you'd like to post some information about your problems there's a number of fellow users in these forums with a good track record in assisting with issues.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
drmiket
Grafter

Unfortunately jelv your comments are wrong. My service and the support I have had is the same as RudolphH by the sound of it. I have given the support people more than enough information, but strangely for a support team, they don't seem (a) bothered (b) to ask for information I would think they need. I've been down the whole plug into your test socket routine and it is still broken as I write this.
What is your background by the way? You're not staff, so why are you here defending link:censored service? This is not an attack on you, it's just I find it very odd you are here at all and why you seem to get quite aggressive when people complain often quite legitimately.
adie:red avoidance of swear filter removed as per link:rules]
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm not defending a link:censored service, I'm defending what for the vast majority of users is an excellent service. From time to time things go wrong. This community exists for users to give mutual support and highlight where things have gone wrong so that PN can make improvements.
I notice that on your own topic you were given a very comprehensive reply by one of the most experienced contributors on this forum and you haven't had the courtesy to reply.
adie:red avoidance of swear filter removed as per link:rules]
drmiket
Grafter

Yes Jelv you've just demonstrated my point yet again (i.e. aggressiveness) in jumping to the conclusion I am able to respond but ignored the help. There are 3 very good reasons why I have not replied
1) I went away for the Christmas period, immediately after my post
2) when I got back the service has been down since 8pm last night and is still not up and thus not usable enough to make a reply in full. I can't get into the official ticket page either, even from here (a known good connection).
3) I don't have the information he's asked for to hand right now, so can't reply from here, my only reliable means of accessing internet
and bonus point
4) I have a life outside the internet, so whilst it is a major inconvenience, it's something I am putting up with (for now).
I realise the majority may have no problems and this forum will attract mainly people who have problems, but the over-riding query I have is if the service was good enough, PN would not need a forum at all because their support people would handle the issues themselves. Out-sourcing to members of the public like yourself looks cheap and nasty to me. You should be paid as you're doing their job.
You also failed to answer my question: why are you here? You're very active on here so you have lots of free time. Are you a student or just not that busy? I am not trying to wind you up here am just bemused because you're coming into a hostile environment as follows:
People come here when the official support people are found lacking. This means (a) they have a problem (b) support have failed to satisfy them (c) they are going to be very annoyed [not to self can't swear here].
So, having been through many questions already they naturally are not pleased having to repeat history on here. Some people are beyond help (call them the boo-hoo's) as in boo-hoo my broadband is *only* 6MB/s it's not fair; boo-hoo my ping rate is 20ms how dare you. You can't help them (or not much) because they expect miracles.
There are the Leavers (like drewid) who are so utterly disgusted they are leaving no matter what, and all I am seeing is snide comments about them (from various people now, not you that I've noticed). It's too late to help them because they've made up their minds, so why are people here getting so upset about someone they don't even know leaving?
That leaves the people, like me, with real problems. They have done everything the official support have suggested, who have done so very slowly. They still have a problem and they are angry, desperate and frustrated. I am here out of sheer desperation that a member of the public knows more than the PN staff. So, I will reply as soon as I can as I have more faith in this forum than the proper channels and I really appreciate the efforts.
However, as I have very little hope of it being fixed officially so, I either leave and pay for a modem I don't want or need, wait until contract end or put up with it until it magically fixes itself, with or without human intervention.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm around a lot because I work from home as a contractor and work less than a full 35 hour week. I'm often sat around waiting for queries or requests to do some work, helping fellow users seems as good a way of occupying time as any other!
You've highlighted something I don't like - the way 'free' routers are pushed out to people who don't actually need a new router when they move to Plusnet as their existing one would be fine. It's taking advantage of peoples greed in taking 'something for nothing' without realising that it has to be paid for if they don't stay a year. Plusnet should work on the principal that people stay because they want to, not because of penalty charges!
Mand
Grafter

@RudolphHucker, Am I correct in reading from the ticket you've provided that the connection works fine from the laptop but not from the desktop?
@drmiket, your connection is ridiculously unstable, as you've tried everything you can to eliminate problems your side I'd recommend going ahead and booking the engineer visit. You'll only get charged if BT can demonstrate that the problem is within your control (which from the tests you've done, it isn't).
@jelv, we don't automatically send routers out, it's part of the signup journey as a choice, and we do state what the costs will be if you leave within 12 months, both on the main sales pages and at the relevant point of signup.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Mand I'm not totally blaming you. Far to many people see 'free' and read no further. How often do we see people for whom the P&P is a surprise?