cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm the fool

killie89
Dabbler

I'm the fool

When the Plusnet salesman phoned me offering me the earth he made me out to be a fool if I did not sign up.
Now I am a fool for signing up!
After 2 weeks with Plusnet here are my findings.
Previous ISP (ORANGE)
Speed - 2MB
Router - Wireless
Cost - £12.99 per month
Download allowance - No limit
Customer service - Based in India for tech and basically rubbish, no understanding of problems.
Plusnet
Speed - 1MB (Phoned today and was told it will be put to 2MB, funny that I have to phone to complain though)
Router - Wireless, but stopped working 2 days ago, phoned up and getting replacement sent out in 3 working days. Having to use a borrowed one for now. (using an old eTEC one and wireless reception is 5 bars as opposed to 2 with Thomson, will see what new one like)
Cost - £5.99 per month (needing to upgrage as using more than the 10GB limit, I had no idea of how much I was using as I was previously unlimited. So will have to pay extra £5 per 5GB until account been running for a month before it can be changed)
Download limit - 10GB, not really a lot when you surf and game, no downloads except updates.
Customer service - Based in UK and quite helpful but should not have had to contact them if all had been as promised.
All in all I am having a few teething problems which if sorted out should leave me with a decent service but I am dubious
at present.
8 REPLIES 8
Hary
Grafter

Re: I'm the fool

You can keep an eye on your usage by logging in and checking  for an overview here
https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php
and for daily
https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php?&strAction=PERIOD
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

killie89,
I'm sorry it sounds like things have got of to a rough start. I've just checked your account to make sure everything is in order and due to go more smoothly from here. At the moment we have an account change to Extra (which sounds much better suited to your needs) going through on the 21st and I can also see that a replacement router is on its way to you.
With regards to speeds I can see that you previously had an LLU service with Orange which is based on a different connection technology to what we use, this would account for the speeds being different for now. However we would at least like to try and match or better the speeds you had before, with that in mind I have raised an order to change your service over to ADSL2+. This should go ahead within the next 7 days, this technology is indented to provide a maximum speed of 24mb so you should at least see some improvement to 2mb whilst using that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
killie89
Dabbler

I have no idea what LLU stands for but I was told I would get 2MB speed and to some how try and hide behind technical jargon is not on. It's good that my speed will be upped but it seems to me that you are trying it on and if I complain I get a fix. Not a good service so far.
torbayguy
Grafter

Killie, I have been with Plusnet for 6 weeks, and it has been the worst service I have ever received, even compaired to bt!!
Everything from cancelled orders, double billing, lies being told, incorrect account settings, double the time promised to connect me, the list goes on.
I just wish I never heard of plusnet.
I have signed upto o2 now and am waiting the switch.
Good luck, you will need it.
Apprentice
Grafter

I have signed upto o2 now and am waiting the switch

If you've signed up to one of their LLU packages you'll wonder why you didn't do so earlier  Smiley
The only O2 package to avoid at the moment is their Access product which isn't LLU, as it uses only BT equipment in the exchange.
It's maybe OK for general surfing and checking emails but there is a traffic management system in place and possibly a lack of capacity leading to slow speeds for end users when that network is busy, plus you are stuck with a contract for 12 months unless you pay to get out of it or jump ship within 30 days.
It may get better eventually as people leave due to the poor service but O2 would need to get rid of unlimited usage for Access IMO
They are already sending out messages telling some users that they are using too many GBs and will need to use no more than around 10GB a month in future or the contract will be ended by O2
torbayguy
Grafter

I cant see o2 telling a customer on unlimited broadband that they can only use 10gb a month mate.
Yes its o2 llu mate.
They have guaranteed a minimum 16 meg speed or 18months free, with a realistic estimate speed of 18meg.
Apprentice
Grafter

I cant see o2 telling a customer on unlimited broadband that they can only use 10gb a month mate.

There are no issues with the unlimited products on the LLU packages at the moment, the problem is with the non LLU Access broadband product which is oversubscribed because of the unlimited usage carrot, hence the eventual arrival of the stick to the heavy down loaders.
I'm sure you will be well pleased with the O2 LLU product you've signed up for.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

FAO @killie89,
To answer your question about LLU it stands for local loop unbundling and is a type of broadband service provided by ISPs like O2 who tend to use their own broadband equipment in local exchanges rather than BT wholesale equipment like we do. I know this is a technical answer but what it boils down to is that LLU providers do not provide an equivalent service to us.
FYI I have updated this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,85894.0.html so please come back to me on there if you have any specific concerns about how your service is going at the moment. We're more than willing to help and won't stand in the way of you getting the best out of your service.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team