8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Hub lights

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Thanks for your feedback.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Gandalf that's good maybe you could pass it on to the relevant team. Will it be able to modify on the hub one or most likely in the future?
Hub dim light enabled now. is good feature on the router settings.
Excellent!
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

And how about a router display showing 

• current download speed in Mbps 
  • Current upload speed in Mbps 
  • averages of the Above

cant see that it would be that hard to do in this day and age  v

if you were able to devise a future router to do this then an awful lot of time would be saved dealing with customers saying their broadband wasn't fast enough , because the evidence of connectivity would be immediately visible to the customer and all efforts could then be directed to finding the actual cause of the problem. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@runhare - Something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016WGT7DQ

Mmm, maybe not.

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Anonymous

Or this. ? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Touch-Dual-Core-Processor-UK-P5/dp/B00Y86CMA8/ref=sr_1_53?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1514638892&sr=1-53

i can't be sure it displays connection speed information and the visual appearance & design is frankly awful,

but the concept is worth developing. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's one ugly bit of kit @runhare. I wonder if there is a way to do this using SNMP, some code, an LCD screen and a Pi?

Could make an interesting project.

Rather than take this thread further off topic, the answer to the above is Yes, it can be done, and it doesn't need a Pi with LCD to do it either (but would look really neat if finished off with a project box). All that is needed is that your device supports SNMP and of course provides the information you want via the OIDs. You'll then need a way of getting this information and Python is a good a way as any so maybe using this library for example.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Nice project for your 'spare' time @Anonymous  Funny   When can we expect a prototype?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MauriceC, this one is on my todo list no question about that, but I wouldn’t hold your breath for a prototype, unless you look good in blue!