cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long from engineer to broadband connection?

Forsh
Dabbler

How long from engineer to broadband connection?

After changing to PlusNet last Wednesday I expected I be up and running by Wednesday evening, the phone worked fine but was told the Broadband would be the following day - it wasn't - Friday was spent on the phone to PlusNet switching off & on, rebooting, resetting, connecting to the test socket behind the master socket - the works! and told someone would ring within 72hour.

3 days later my wife enquired what the situation is and was told we need an engineer to come out and we'll be contacted with in (another) 72 hours

At this point my wife disagreed and 'advised' the advisor they need to sort it prior to that

Over the weekend, after reconfiguring my old BT homehub4 with my PlusNet credentials and using a different micro filter and still getting the same orange light results it seams obvious to me the fault lies else where

So my question is why wasn't an engineer appointment arranged last week after all the diagnostic work and when he comes tomorrow how long can I expect to wait to be connected?

Are there issues changing from standard (copper) broadband to fibre?

TIA

20 REPLIES 20
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: How long from engineer to broadband connection?

Hi there, 

From what I can see the service should have been up and running, however there seems to be a fault. 

I've also noticed we've booked an engineer visit with you so I hope that helps to resolve the problem. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@adamwalker,

Would this have been "an engineering visit not required" upgrade from ADSL to FTTC?

How do such installs verify that the VDSL signal is properly reaching the subscriber's premises ... before leaving site and writing the service delivery as being completed ... then waiting for Plusnet activation ... only to find that the install is faulty ... then needing to wait (at least) 72 hours before being able to get BTOR to go out and repair as a "fault" the install that BTOR male-hen'd-up in the first place?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

Over the weekend, after reconfiguring my old BT homehub4

The HH4 is not VDSL capable and won't work with a fibre connection without a separate VDSL modem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Looks like the HH4 is the problem. @Forsh did you not order a new modem/router when setting up your PlusNet account? Or do you already have an Openreach modem?

Forsh
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies guys!

Sorry I didn't reply last night but... er... no internet!

I got the PlusNet HubOne with my order and it came with new micro filter, after much diagnostics I resorted to reconfiguring the HH4 to my PlusNet credentials and swap between old and new micro filters to try and rule out faulty equipment.

Which ever combination results in a steady orange light

As for VDSL compatibility, forgive my ignorance, but I still have copper to the house, I presume the fibre goes to the green box at the end of the street

Engineer due this morning, I just hope it can be solved quickly, amazing how quickly we become dependant on the internet for allsorts - we've all burned through our mobile data quick smart and this forum is the closest I get to social media!

Smiley

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You will have copper to the house but it carries VDSL not ADSL.

Suggest you use the supplied plusnet router ... which if it does work ... anticipate a £65 bill for a no fault found / fault in user equipment charge.

Forsh
Dabbler

OK thanks for the clarification

On change over day the new PlusNet One hub was connected as it should followed by 3 hours of telephone conversation with PlusNet trying to get the internet to work on a line that worked fine with BT. Even down to connecting to the test socket behind the master socket faceplate so any wiring on the house side isn't an issue.

It's all connected up currently with new PlusNet equipment

Just let them try and charge me £65!!! Knuppel

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Forsh wrote:

On change over day the new PlusNet One hub was connected as it should followed by 3 hours of telephone conversation with PlusNet trying to get the internet to work on a line that worked fine with BT.

OK lets ensure that we fully understand your journey here...

• You have migrated from BT to Plusnet?
  • With BT you were on ADSL?
  • With Plusnet you upgraded to Fibre (FTTC)?
  • Immediately upon switch over you (and Plusnet) tried without success to get the service working?
  • Thereafter you've had the old BT router connected?
  • Now that you have installed the Plusnet router, have you manually set up the Plusnet account details in the router?

The advice given above suggests that the old BT Hub is not compatible with VDSL - the modulation standard used with FTTC - this is quite different to what you had "on a line that worked fine with BT".

Migration from ADSL to FTTC is not an instant switch over service (a matter I am trying to obtain clarification on in the Superuser channels).  BT Openreach need to inform BT Wholesale that the engineering work has been completed.  BT Wholesale need to update their records that the service is ready for use to the ISP.  The ISP (Plusnet) then need to activate the account ... all of this takes more than 3 hours!!

I would have hoped that the agent servicing the initial call would have ruled out the possibility that the account was not yet active AND that you had connected a VDSL capable modem.

@adamwalker can you please review?

Forsh
Dabbler

Hi Townman,

BT to plusnet  - yes

BT ADSL - yes

PlusNet Fibre - yes

Got email phone went live last Wednesday - then got email broadband went live last Thursday. Went through diagnostics Thursday, Friday and tried restarting hub every day but still steady orange light

Always with new PlusNet hub connected - last Sunday tried reconfigured BT HH4 to try to rule out there wasn't an issue with PlusNet hub and got same steady orange light so replaced PlusNet hub again and PlusNet hub still connected

Pretty sure PlusNet router is set up with PlusNet details (wife went through all that)

Wife just rang said engineer has arrived and has gone off to green box...

Thumbs_Up 

Forsh
Dabbler

...and after "switching it on" at the green box all is well!

Woopidoo!

Grin

The point of the original post was I was worried he would go away and just report there was a fault but all's well that ends well

Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

That's good to hear!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Forsh
Dabbler

Out of interest who's responsibility would it have been to "switch on" our broadband at the green box? and at what point "should" that have been done?

Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

It looks like the engineer that worked on the order didn't enable fibre on your line at the cabinet. This would've ultimately been that engineers responsibility and should've been done before the order completed.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf,

Whilst we are picking over the corpse of this problem ... what becomes the account (billing) activation date on this account?

• The day that BTw said the work done by BTOR was complete ... and Plusnet activated the account?
  • ...or...
  • The date that BTOR final fixed their failings and the user first received service?

@Forsh,

I've added this case to the multiplicity of BTOR failure scenarios we are looking at in the Superuser space.