cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to get ADSL2+ switched on....?

dratddestroyer
Grafter

How long does it take to get ADSL2+ switched on....?

I'll keep it simple.
In October 2009 I did a house move. Please see ticket 303758.
In October 2009 the customer services people asked for me to be upgraded to ADSL2+ ASAP.
It is now April 2010.
How long does it take to get ADSL+2 switched on?
Edit: PS - My exchange was capable of providing ADSL2+ before I did the house move.
26 REPLIES 26
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: How long does it take to get ADSL2+ switched on....?

From placing the order with BT - 1 day.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Good morning,
We'll certainly have a look at this for you dratdestroyer, however I've not been able to find your account from your community username or that ticket ID. Could you please PM me with your account username?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Good morning dratdestroyer.

Thanks for getting back to me. I have checked your account and can see that your service was upgraded to ADSL2+ on 26/11/09 following your house move. You currently have a line profile of 6500kbps. Are there any issues in particular that have made you believe that the service was not upgraded or perhaps may not be working correctly?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Perhaps you could post the stats reported by your router which would tell us if your speeds look right for your distance from the exchange.
dratddestroyer
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Perhaps you could post the stats reported by your router which would tell us if your speeds look right for your distance from the exchange.

Zoom ADSL2+ compatible ADSL modem.
ADSL Status
Item Status
ADSL Line State: Showtime
Downstream: 7616   Kbps
Upstream: 448   Kbps
Mode: ADSL2PlusAuto
Transmit Power: 12.1 dB
ADSL Link UP Time: 1 day 1 hour 44 min 48 sec
Operational Mode: G.Dmt
Item Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 12.5 dB 24 dB
Line Attenuation 14.0 dB 9.0 dB
CRC Errors 16 0
FEC Errors 226 0
HEC Errors 14 0
dratddestroyer
Grafter

Quote from: adamwalker
Good morning dratdestroyer.

Thanks for getting back to me. I have checked your account and can see that your service was upgraded to ADSL2+ on 26/11/09 following your house move. You currently have a line profile of 6500kbps. Are there any issues in particular that have made you believe that the service was not upgraded or perhaps may not be working correctly?

I disagree with the statement I have had an upgrade to ADSL2+. I live 800 metres from the exchange. My downstream has always been in the 7000's since I had service provided at this address. My Zoom X6 definitely works with ADSL2+ and is running the latest firmware.

Please read the following message, especially the bold underlined paragraph.
Question Topic: Your Question | ID: 30758526
Dave T******** Training/Comms   12:36pm, Friday 13th November 2009
Your username: ***************
Dear Mr ********* *************,
We have good news for you. Your telephone line is in an area that can now benefit from our new broadband network (this is known as 21CN).
Over the past year we have been trialling this new broadband network and our trials have now completed. The main advantages of this network are better performance for all of our customers – and of course the new network also allows us to offer faster speeds using the latest ADSL2+ technology.
We will be switching your service over on a like-for-like basis to ADSL rather than ADSL2+, so there will be no need to change any settings on your ADSL router. You will remain on 'up to 8Mbps' speeds but are likely to see a better broadband performance when you’re on the new network.
The change is free of charge and there will be no other changes to your existing broadband account, contract or usage allowance. We expect this to happen within the next 5 weeks.
There may be a brief drop in connection for about 5 minutes on the day of the switch over and your speeds may fluctuate a little within the first 10 days after reconnection.
You may receive messages advising on the progress of your order over the next 5 weeks. If you receive a message notifying you that the order has failed, don't worry - you don't need to contact us and your service will continue as normal.
If you are interested in going 'up to 20Mb' we have just launched our new products, and you can find more information here: http://www.plus.net/
If you have any further questions, then you can easily either call us, or raise a ticket by going to http://help.plus.net

Kind Regards,
N*** D*****
Head of Customer Support
http://www.plus.net
This email has been sent as it contains important information about your service from Plusnet. Please do not reply to this email, as this is an unmonitored address.
--
Plusnet PLC
Registered Office: Internet House, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY
Registered in England no: 3279013

jelv
Seasoned Hero

G.Dmt is ADSL1 and 7616 is the maximum speed with interleaving on - it could be that you are on 21CN but limited to ADSL1. What account type are you on (ADSL2+ is only available on some of the newer accounts)?
If your account is restricted to ADSL1 speeds I suggest you ask for interleaving to be turned off which should get you up to the maximum 7150 profile (I can't see any reason for you to have interleaving on with your stats).
dratddestroyer
Grafter

Thanks jelv. I'm on Pro, £19.99 a month.
Please have a look at the quote from the mesage from PN on 13 Nov 2009.
We will be switching your service over on a like-for-like basis to ADSL rather than ADSL2+, so there will be no need to change any settings on your ADSL router. You will remain on 'up to 8Mbps' speeds but are likely to see a better broadband performance when you’re on the new network.

I think I should let PN reply to my previous post before saying anything else. There could be simple reason for what has happened and a simple cure.
dick:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Is that the current Plusnet Pro or the previous Broadband Your Way Pro? If it is the former you should be moved on to ADSL2+ (in fact that should have happened automatically).
I read the quote and yes, it suggests that you are on 21CN, but there is no way you can confirm that is the case from your end other than by inference (if you check which gateway you are on it is always one of the 21CN gateways).
Edit: I've flagged this to one of the comms team
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dratdestroyer,
I'm looking at this now for you, I'll post back shortly with information on what happened (and what's going on with the line).
dratddestroyer
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Is that the current Plusnet Pro or the previous Broadband Your Way Pro? If it is the former you should be moved on to ADSL2+ (in fact that should have happened automatically).

Broadband Your Way Pro. Since Sep 2007.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That makes sense now. BBYW Pro wasn't one of the accounts that was listed for being faster than 8MB (ADSL2+) which is why it hasn't happened automatically.
Why that wasn't an account type to be automatically upgraded I'm not sure - especially as it's predecessor (PAYG) was always specified as up to 24MB (when available)! It might be because you can freely switch between BBYW products so a switch from say BBYW 2 to BBYW Pro, get ADSL2+ then switch back to BBYW 2 would be a possible loophole.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi dratdestroyer,
I've been hunting around for the service but it looks like we might have an old phone number for you, or there's something going on with the line records as searching is not bringing up any services. Can you PM me your phone number please, just to confirm what we've got is correct? That way I can call our suppliers and find out why it's not reporting the service that's there.
Thanks.
dratddestroyer
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Can you PM me your phone number please, just to confirm what we've got is correct?

I have sent you a PM with my telephone number.