cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with support

IanB

Help with support

Can someone help me with PN? I joined PN becasue of Tiscali. My Tiscali speed was 1Mb, but increased to 3MB when I complained. I was happy with this but pee'd with Tiscali, so I jumped ship. PN was gret for first week at 3Mb, then it dropped to Tiscali slow speed. When I raised the ticket, I was told to do all of the ususal things that Tiscali had suggested, which I did, and only to get no improvement.
I am certain my installation and line can support 3Mb, as this is the speed I get in the morning, when other persons useage is low. I am in a rural areas, so I have empathy, but am also sure someone is stealing and shaping my bandwidth to maintain service with others. But my neighbour who is with BT has better speed.
I would simply leave PN, but its a nause, yet on the other hand, PN threaten me with BT call out charges of £144 if I escalate.
I am a busy guy, run my own biz etc, and really just expect ADSL to be like my SKy, switch it on and it works well, and not have to spend hours lookng for problems etc.
Any ideas? I ran the BT speed test, it says I am configured for 4Mb, and I got 2Mb when the test was conducted, but the regular Speedtest.net gives 1Mb, and indeed surfing is slow.
Ian
2 REPLIES 2
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Help with support

Hi Ian, welcome to the forums....
I sympathise with you, it can be very frustrating.  First this, PlusNet have to advise you of BTs costs, if they find any fault with your internal wiring, or your equipment,  internal wiring is everything your side of the Master Socket.  If you have checked everything, then its highly unlikely you will be charged this.  Next, can you provide some stats from your router. This will give us a better idea of whats going on.  DO you get regular dropouts or is there any hissing on the line.
If you are unsure of getting the stats, try here  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Also if you can provide stats from the Master Socket Test socket, by removing the faceplate, and plugging into the test socket you will see.  I am assuming you have a master socket, with a removeable faceplate.  Dont have a piccie of one to hand. 
There is a wealth of knowledge on these forums, and I am sure we can get you to a speed that your line will support.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Help with support

Hi IanB,
I can't add anything to the above other than that if you follow the tests mentioned and the fault is still apparent it can be raised to us at http://faults.plus.net