cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, new BT broadband thing is confusing

David_W
Rising Star

Help, new BT broadband thing is confusing

They changed it and now it's really confusing about if I can and cannot get Fibre, it says "Our records show the following FTTP network service information..." so does that mean FTTP is available? It's not shown in the big box so is it not, though just checked my dad's phone and it changed Copper Multicast to Fibre Multicast so it's not as helpful as the previous one which gave no information at all.  Screenshot provided.
/edit - just checked my dad's number again and at the top it shows:
WBC FTTC Up to 63.3 Up to 20 -- Available
Which adds to the confusion, why doesn't it say "WBC FTTC" or "WBC FTTP" Unavailable rather than give that FTTP network message and no further information?
22 REPLIES 22
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Help, new BT broadband thing is confusing

From what I am aware,  if FTTP or FTTC isn't available,  it's not mentioned at all  (my number shows FTTC information,  but there is no mention of FTTP).  BT seem to take the approach of; if it isn't available, don't mention it.
So your dad should be able to get FTTC, and implication is you may well be able to get FTTP.
anniesboy
Rising Star

On the plus side ,you can now see which cabinet you are connected to.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

checking mine and my parents I see fttc active for mine and fttc proposed date for my parents all in the top box, so I would assume that there is nothing for you Sad
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Ooh, didn't realise this had changed! I agree that the FTTP text adds confusion. I'd warrant a guess it's not going to be available but I can check for definite when I get to the office...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Could somebody who either has fibre or knows for definite fibre is available try putting their number in to http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and post the screen shot (with the telephone number blanked) please?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Here you go...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak

Here you go
Customer / Moderator
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It is confusing. It looks like the text below the box is triggered by the exchange having fibre, but you have to look in the box to see if it is available on the line being checked.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak

Here is a proposed one for my parents a few hundred miles away. That shows that it is planned soon-ish for their cab.
weird we have the same cab or is it fixed to 48 lol
Customer / Moderator
mikko
Grafter

Here's another one
David_W
Rising Star

I know I am due FTTP, SuperfastCornwall put my provisioning date as November>December which then got moved to December>January (but they no longer give out forecasts as people were taking them as promises so if it's moved to January>February I'll not be told).  BT Infinity's checker says I can't get Fibre so I'm going to guess that I can't actually get Fibre yet, but saying I'm on the FTTP network does muddy the water.
I figure there are 3 possible states for it, Available, Unavailable, Due, I'm either Available or Due (hopefully Available but realistically....) so the checker really should state either available or due (with a due date) but shows nothing but that comment about FTTP, I swear BT are trying to wind me up!
/edit - what is that Multicast thing anyhow?  I just put in a number in my town which has FTTC and it shows Copper and Fibre multicast (whereas my dads only shows Fibre multicast), is that an indication of FTTx availability or nothing to do with Fibre at all?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Does "Multi Dwelling Unit Residential" mean it's a block of flats or apartments or something like that?
David_W
Rising Star

Yep, I'm on the bottom floor of a block of apartments (3 floors).
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

I fell for it too!
That message "Our records show the following FTTP network service information..." below the table box seems to mean that FTTP will be available sometime. I managed to get some local addresses where I know fttp IS available NOW and the service appears at the top of their available product list. In those cases that  line below the table also contained additional information like "UG no anticipated problems", (presumably "UnderGround" as opposed to pole delivery)
Back to checking every day Sad
EDIT - ok got a screenshot