cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, new BT broadband thing is confusing

David_W
Rising Star

Re: Help, new BT broadband thing is confusing

I check several times a day in case BT are being a bit sneaky...... my fingers are still crossed for enablement this month though but I've been checking since November.  The guy's were outside last month putting the fibre down so it's the waiting game and the BT checker isn't being friendly (though if it added a due date then I'd ask it to marry me!)
CX
Grafter

Have you checked the Openreach Where and When map?
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
Cabinets which are delayed should get a yellow push pin marker, along with hopefully some information on what's wrong (blocked ducts, awkward local authorities etc.).
My cabinet enablement seemed to have stalled, after some work earlier in December. I was told by somebody in Openreach that the cabinet was actually finished before Christmas. A yellow push pin appeared on the Where and When map but didn't go into details and suggested emailing Openreach. I did that, only received an automated response, but the BTW checker was updated the next day to say that the cabinet was enabled. It may be a pure coincidence, or perhaps somebody checked and corrected an error in the database.
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: David
checking since November. 
only November?  Tongue We have been checking since they started laying fibre nearly a year ago! There is fibre to the top of the pole outside my house. That screenshot I posted is from an address about 400 yards from me. So near..... Cry
David_W
Rising Star

@CX - yep, checked there, exchange has been AO for quite a while now but flag for my postcode shows no information and is just blue
@beeceegee - I'm in Cornwall so superfastcornwall are taking care of it, if you ask them "when it is due?" they would say "October/November" and then November would come around and you'd ask again and they would say "December/January" and now they say nothing except when work in the area is due to be completed, but that's the entire area so if a cabinet on the other side of town is due to be switched on in April.......
Still, could be worse, I could be further from the exchange and be struggling to get 1Mb, currently running at 9Mb which is slightly lower than the 13Mb I used to get (and now can't plug router into test socket because my homeplug died, that reminds me, will have to order some cat6 when BT thingy changes)
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: CX
Have you checked the Openreach Where and When map?
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

...put my postcode in; comes up with NC -NO CHANCE!!!!!!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

...or Near Completion or Next Christmas Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Here's my lowly response.
The "superfast" link shows Gloucester as "accepting orders" but also states:
we like to make superfast services available as soon as possible so when we declare an exchange is 'accepting orders', all the street cabinets in the exchange area may not have been completed yet. This takes time, so please be patient with us. - in many exchange areas not every cabinet can be upgraded.
We're still waiting for gas here so fibre might be a while...
joncooper
Grafter

Quote from: David
I know I am due FTTP, SuperfastCornwall put my provisioning date as November>December ...

I feel your pain, Superfast Cornwall told me "FTTP by end of December" - even during Dec they said it was still 'on schedule'
the cab 200m away was done over a year ago (FTTC), but I'm connected to one about 600m away Sad
oh, and that is now showing on the new BT checker thing as "FTTC availability by end of March"
I was ok with waiting a year to get FTTP, I shall be miffed if they've changed that to FTTC now
(Superfast COrnwall tell me if it does turn out to be FTTC I can always pay to have "FTTP on demand" - gee thanks  Roll_eyes )