Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Plusnet solved its recent problems?

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Has Plusnet solved its recent problems?

I hope that I'm not tempting fate but my fibre connection has been incredibly stable for several weeks. It's also obvious that the fibre forum is much quieter with far fewer moans & complaints. Is it safe to assume that PN has sorted out whatever was causing the disconnection problems? Roll_eyes
4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Has Plusnet solved its recent problems?

I take it you are referring to the mass disconnects the most recent of which was 11 October.
We can see from the broadband usage graphs - customer numbers that Plusnet have added 3 new BNG gateways since then: ptn-bng02, ptw-bng02 and most recently pcl-bng04 (I first spotted that one on 13 Nov). So whatever the exact problem was, I expect it is unlikely to re-occur any time soon unless Plusnet rapidly acquire tens of thousands of new customers or the amount of bandwidth shared between customers suddenly increases. The load is now distributed across more BNG gateways, so I wouldn't expect to see 75k+ users on a single BNG gateway again soon, unless perhaps Plusnet decommission some of the older AG gateways.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

That pragmatic analysis needs to be 'balanced' against Adam Walker's emphatic statement that the bng failure issues had nothing to do with customer volumes.
Sadly there has be no similar emphatic statement over what was the cause.  One therefore concludes that PlusNET still do not know the cause and therefore cannot assert it is cured or they do know the cause but the disclosure of it would be damning to either PlusNET or Juniper.
None of the above is reassuring!
I rather get the feeling that despite the wide spread use of Juniper equipment there are numerous issues with them: the repeated cascade failures strongly suggests capacity / stress tolerance issues; their IPv6 implementation issues seem to have stopped PN's IPv6 trials programme dead in its tracks.  Conversely the older technology seems much more stable in both of these aspects.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@tijara33
You aren't being clear whether you mean you connection to the Cab has been stable, ie your speeds or whether you meant loss of PPP sessions and therefore the ability to browse, download etc. If the former, that is something not under Plusnet's control.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I thought that I was being clear  ::), as per the reply from ejs. Anyway, I do mean loss of PPP sessions as per the problems in September & October.