cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great.....

CaptainH
Dabbler

Great.....

.....Roped into 18 months with plusnet. Obviously that's sarcasm if you didn't guess.
FIrst 2 weeks was great, after that it all just dropped, speeds dropped, had connection problems, finding popular downloads only downloading at 10kbps despite being wired straight up to my router. I have managed to download stuff but only at about 2-3 in the morning when the speeds are decent enough.
It would also seem that the router/internet service can only seem to handle 2 devices maximum, at a push even, 2 devices with insanely reduced speeds.
Poor customer service, they don't seem to understand my problem and all i get is being told to do constant speed checks, well half the time the speeds are too low to even connect to these sites, and when they do, the checks show ridiculous high speeds i have never seen the light of.
I can't express how disappointed I am with this service and i have one question, what is the consequence for terminating a contract with these guys early?
last of all I really wouldn't like any feedback from anyone telling me that their service is great and that they are surprised that mine isn't, that doesn't help whatsoever.
37 REPLIES 37
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Great.....

Hi there,
I can see you've got a fault raised though the ticket has been sat with you since the 25th Jan with a request for some test results?
Your connection isn't dropping and your line profile on both our side and BTs is as good as it is possible to get on an up to 8Mb/s line, which is why it looks like there's no fault - though we're certainly not saying that there isn't. I assume the slow speeds are present whether you're connecting via an ethernet cable or using wireless? Have you been able to test another router at all?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

welcome to the Forum CaptainH
Matt said you are on a 8M line , so where does the 18 month contract come from?, are you on a business line as all residential except fibre are 12 month max
CaptainH
Dabbler

12 months then, im used to having 18 month contracts with connected services, either way, that doesn't matter whatsoever, and i can clearly see where that 18k post count comes from..
Yes yes so i've heard my connection is great but im the one on the other side suffering lower speeds and no i wont go and spend an extra 30-£50 on another router just to TEST it.
I asked the question of what is the consequence of closing my account, and as for the tech team question you want me to reply to, no chance, they just throw speed checks and loads of broadband technical terms at me and expect me to be a technician myself, i use the internet i dont fix it.
The internet runs fine on my old 3 mobile internet dongle, yet struggles with supposedly 8mb broadband.
Another question why is it called 8mb broadband when the actual speeds are always 10% of that, why not just call it 800kb broadband.
CaptainH
Dabbler

Oh i forgot to mention probably one of the worst parts;
I have had my phone out of the socket for over 3 weeks now, because i have had too many people call as a wrong number, and im talking 4-5 a day and each one thought i was someone else, not even like they were looking for the same person.
doesnt look good guys, on top of this the pro addon i had to increase bandwith for gaming etc was totally useless, i was frequently if not constantly disconnected from games and my p2p downloading speeds were horrific. in fact it would seem that it has gotten better since i disabled it so i have no idea what you guys are up to.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi CaptainH,
Just been looking at your line and your profile is 7150k. Are you still only getting the 800k you mentioned?
Jojo Smiley
CaptainH
Dabbler

Yes 800k would be my total maximum i've seen so far, usually it takes 5-10 seconds to load a page (especially plusnet page) so im guessing its usually alot lower then 800kbps.
Can anyone actually ask my question or will it just be avoided constantly? What is the consequence for closing my account with plusnet early?
CaptainH
Dabbler

if i was to watch a 700mb movie online, it would take a good 20-30 mins to load it at the current speeds, at 7mbps it would take 100 seconds, there is huge difference there and i would definitely notice.
Am i supposed to be actually getting 7mb download speeds? if so then this service is terrible.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just to clarify
A  movie would be 700 megabytes
This is equivalent to 700 x 8 = 5,600 megabits or 5,600,000 kilobits
Your maximum effective download speed with a 7150kbps profile will be about 6700kbps - that is 6,700 kilobits per sec
This means that the absolute minumum download time would be 14 minutes so your 20 minutes isn't too far off
You appear to be mixing bits and bytes - 7150kbps profile will give a download speed of about 800 kilobytes per second
CaptainH
Dabbler

Had i known that 8mb speed meant 800kbps i would have waited until fibre was in my area, as those speeds are pathetic, i suppose my 3 dongle which hits 3000kbps is a 30mb dongle then? no its 7.2 max.
I cant quite grasp why it is called 8mb broadband if im never supposed to actually see anything close to that only 10% or so? why is that so casual for everyone? why not call it 1megabyte net instead of 8megabits, that way its less misleading for those who werent sure of the difference between 'MB' and 'MB'...
Oldjim
Resting Legend

When you see kbps or Mbps that is bits
When you see kBps or MBpps that is bytes and 8 bits = 1 byte
CaptainH
Dabbler

I love how everyone is just expected to know that.
Either way i feel like i've been totally conned now, its like being asked a trick question, not cool plusnet...
Lets just say if plusnet had of said you get 8mb broad band which equates to a normal speed of nearly 1MBps then i would have just stuck with my mobile internet and waited for optics.. now im stuck with this **** for a year.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You can move to fibre with Plusnet when it becomes available
CaptainH
Dabbler

rather not, thanks for the help
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi CaptainH,
I'm sorry you feel that you've been conned but we certainly haven't set out to mislead anyone. As far as I know most broadband providers have always sold their products in bits rather than bytes.
Jojo