cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good result - but did the CSC get it wrong?

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Good result - but did the CSC get it wrong?

Recently my ADSL2+ stabilised at a sync of 5728kbps, giving a BTw profile of 5·05Mbps.
The PN profile, however, was stuck at 4Mbps. Just over four hours after raising a ticket, CSC replied thus -
I have checked the details of your account and line and have updated the profiles to match.
This can sometimes happen when the automated reports do not come through to update the profiles, of which I am sorry for the delay.

I was pleased with the quick response, of course, but the profile had been raised to 5·7Mbps. It has subsequently changed to 5Mbps.  Smiley
A good result then, but did the CSC get it wrong? Or does setting it higher help to kick start the automated system?
Question #57724030
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
8 REPLIES 8
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Good result - but did the CSC get it wrong?

I think the CSC made a mistake, I doubt setting it higher than it should be has any effect elsewhere.
My experience is the automated changes are working again for 21CN connections, but the instant change in BT settings seems to take 2-3 days to filter through and be acted upon by Plusnet. Rather makes a mockery of "instant change". Does that sort of timescale fit with your experience?
Any takers for an option to disable the Current line speed profile?
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Me for one
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: spraxyt
Any takers for an option to disable the Current line speed profile?

Translation: Anyone for grotty VoIp, awful gaming or choppy streaming if you have a download going at the same time which maxes out your line?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, but all of those activities are under my control so it would be up to me to manage my bandwidth to suit.
David
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'm not convinced, and the average user wouldn't have a clue.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: spraxyt
My experience is the automated changes are working again for 21CN connections, but the instant change in BT settings seems to take 2-3 days to filter through and be acted upon by Plusnet. Rather makes a mockery of "instant change". Does that sort of timescale fit with your experience?

Can't really say, spraxyt - until I raised a ticket it had been 4Mbps for months.
I'm still somewhat confused about what the PN profile actually does. I thought it was merely about speed, and therefore assumed that the BTw side would do all that is required, but various comments lately seem to imply that traffic management is affected.
How so? Could one of you wizards please explain what it's all about?
Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: Me
We match the IP profile against BT Wholesale so we can apply per user QoS to your line. This allows us to prioritise your high priority traffic above low priority traffic. If we didn't have this profile then we wouldn't know the maximum rate your line could support, therefore if we allowed more traffic through on our side of the network than your line could support you would see random packet loss at the BTW BRAS and this could be any type of traffic (VoIP, P2P etc).
So by applying the profile on our side we can control what traffic is affected first, therefore allowing high priority traffic to be unaffected and only the lowest priority traffic to be affected.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Thanks Chris.  Smiley
Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)