cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get it off your chest.... hahahaha

lowero
Grafter

Get it off your chest.... hahahaha

I've been having bl**dy awful download speeds for more than a week.  It's happened occasionally in the past... connection dropouts, IP profile drops and raise a ticket.  After 1 or 2 days things get reset and life resumes.  Not this time.  I've raised the ticket, phoned the helpline, and for the past 4/5 days checked my performance against the BT speedchecker site with crap IP profile (250k) and dreadful download speed (200k).  Every day I update my ticket and NO-ONE seems to be bothered to even respond.  Well enough's enough and I'm taking my £50 per month for voice and broadband to someone that pretends to be interested.  Get it off my chest, you bet.  Goodbye Plus Net.
37 REPLIES 37
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Get it off your chest.... hahahaha

Sorry to hear of the problems you've been having. I've taken a look over the account and can see that your IP profile has now reset back to 6500, so if you reboot your modem/router you should see better speeds coming through.
The IP profile will have dropped due to a low sync between your router and the exchange, when this happens it can take 72 hours for the IP profile to increase again assuming your router connects at a stable higher speed.
Have a read of this for some more detail link:speed
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
lowero
Grafter

Chris - thankyou for replying.  If you read the messages on my ticket you'll see that DESPITE the IP profile now being back to 6500k, my download speed is still NOWHERE near that level.  I have rebooted the router again as you suggest and the speed I'm getting is now about 430k.  My router states...ADSL Speed (DS/US) 576/448 Kbps.  I'm really fed up with no-one seeming to take any interest.  I've tried the test socket and that doesn't work properly.  The router takes numerous handshaking and training attempts before finally syncing at awful speed.  I've had great connectivity (bar a couple of problems) with speeds around 6 MEG for months and months.  NOW IT'S APPALLING AND NO-ONE SEEMS TO CARE.
I'm fully aware of all the details in the "how to diagnose" link that you supplied.  Again, please read my ticket and you'll see that I've done all that and more.  I left the router connected at the 250 mark so that the profile is restored.  You can see it is (AND I COULD SEE THAT WHICH IS WHY I REBOOTED THE ROUTER LAST NIGHT).  IT'S MADE NO DIFFERENCE.
Yes I'm frustrated.  I can live with occasional problems, but when there is no response and the only way to get someone to look is to post a message on a complaints thread, then it's time to look elsewhere.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi lowero,
I'm just running some tests on your line and not getting the information that I need, however it's looking like the slow speeds may be being caused by an intermittent connection fault. Have you noticed the connection dropping at all?
Either way I'll update the ticket when the tests have finished and let you know what I've found. I'm sorry for the delay on this.
lowero
Grafter

Thanks Matt for the interest.  It's all documented in my support call, but...  The connection has been fine for months (apart from a wobble in early December).  Speeds around 6MEG.  Then 10 days ago it went horribly wrong.  Speed had dropped off a cliff.  I rebooted the router and nothing improved.  Tried rebooting a number of times (I know this affects the exchange IP profile) and it was having real difficulty reconnecting.  Handshaking - Training - Dropped... eventually it would sync at a very low speed c200K.  When I rebooted the router last night (having left it for 3 days to get the profile back up) it again had difficulty syncing.  It's also been dropping throughout the day.  I'm away for a couple of days but just had a text from home to say that voice has stopped working as well.  This happened in the Dec problem.  I've tried using the engineer socket on the master socket, but that doesn't work properly - voice is ok, but the broadband never connects.  I've tried it with phone in and phone out, left it plugged in overnight, but still not connection.
I am seriously considering moving ISP - this isn't getting any response via the ticket system, which is bad.
Have copied this to the ticket as well (not that anyone appears to be reading it!!)
Nigel
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

voice has stopped working as well.  This happened in the Dec problem.  I've tried using the engineer socket on the master socket, but that doesn't work properly - voice is ok, but the broadband never connects.  I've tried it with phone in and phone out, left it plugged in overnight, but still not connection.

When you say the voice is ok, is it absolutely clear with no noise, no crackling, no hiss? Any noise on the voice side of the line can cause problems very similar to those you are seeing on the broadband side.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
lowero
Grafter

Chris
To my ear the voice is clear.  It's no different to how it was before these problems.  It's always been relatively quiet - if I put the phone on loudspeaker it's much better.  I wouldn't say there is any discernable noise, crackling or interference.  The wierd thing is that I can get voice on the engineer test socket on the master socket, but I can't get broadband - it fails to sync at all.  The syncing on the "normal" socket on the master takes many attempts, but at least it finally connects.
Nigel
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Lowero,
That sounds like you may have a filtered faceplate fitted - are there separate sockets on the front for the phone and ADSL? That could explain why the service connects in the faceplate but not the test socket.
Either way if the service doesn't work in the test socket it's definitely indicative of a fault, I'll get this raised for you and post back shortly.
lowero
Grafter

Thanks Matt.  I don't think it is a filtered faceplate - there are no separate sockets, just one RJ11 type.  I use a microfilter to split from this for voice and data.  I can remove the bottom part of the faceplate to reveal the engineer socket which works ok for voice but not for data.
Nigel
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The first thing to try is a different filter if you haven't already.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi lowero,
Thanks for your time on the phone, as discussed the engineer has been booked for Monday morning so we'll see what's happening following that visit.
lowero
Grafter

Matt
As added to my ticket... happy to get the engineer booked for 0800-1300 today.  However I've been at home waiting, but no engineer.  Now 1338!!!!!
Angry
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi lowero,
Sorry to hear that, I'm chasing now to try and find out what's happening.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Right, I've done my checks and been advised that although it was confirmed the appointment was received it didn't actually build on the other system so we need to book another.
I can only apologise, I'm really sorry this happened and have expressed my disappointment to the helpdesk.
Would you be able to advise of further dates, from tomorrow onwards, for a replacement appointment?
lowero
Grafter

If they really ARE going to turn up then I can do tomorrow until 4pm, Wednesday anytime,  or Friday anytime.  Good job I can be flexible with work.