Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.Fast will available soon?

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: G.Fast will available soon?

@JonoH [CSA Removed] told me via text relay service. But, that good to hear FTTP are the big plan. I have contact Openreach as they reply me in email:

Hi Mr *************,

Many thanks for your further email.

Openreach are just one of many infrastructure builders and we have committed to reaching 20 million homes and businesses with full fibre by mid/late 2020’s and have made a commitment to a balanced build and therefore will include market towns and villages as well as some locations which are more rural.

We are funding these builds without any public subsidy  and therefore will select areas that we can compete the build without requesting a subsidy. As a consequence of any investment there will be an element of economics within our decision making. Please rest assured that the Fibre to the Premises will be rolled out before the Copper element is removed.

Kind regards

L******* A******

Infrastructure Solutions Executive Level Complaints Team

Openreach.

2nd email:

Good afternoon Mr ************,

I do apologise you are quite right, it is GAST, not FTTP.

Presently at this current time, having checked with our senior project manager and the planning information, I am sorry to confirm that your immediate area is not currently included in any plan for an upgrade to FTTP via either BDUK Government Funded or our Commercial Openreach work.

I am so very sorry for any confusion I may have caused with my correspondence thus far.

Kind regards

L******* A******

Infrastructure Solutions Executive Level Complaints Team

Openreach.

Moderators Note: CSA name removed as per Forum rules

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Nope it will be much longer than that. Might not happen until 2022 or even longer
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

And you know that how @goldenfibre ?

Because you read it in the comments following the linked article?

Which you wrote yourself of course under some of your random aliases!

Garbage_2.PNG

Garbage_1.PNG

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@goldenfibre wrote:
Nope it will be much longer than that. Might not happen until 2022 or even longer

How do you know this?

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Cos plusnet always taken much longer or ages for this to become available.

By the way I am leaving plusnet soon when my contract has ended I just had enough with this company
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@goldenfibre wrote:

By the way I am leaving plusnet soon when my contract has ended I just had enough with this company

I suspect that's not so much because PN aren't offering G.Fast but primarily because they won't give you a really cheap deal, meaning you'll have to pay more than your present £0.96 per month (as you said earlier in this thread).

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

My local area is now plastered with FTTP, radiating out form the main town, to the smaller villages, settlements, hamlets and even rural farms/farm houses/barn conversions and so on.

There have been news items on Openreach withdrawing copper early from some exchanges that meet a certain percentage of fttp availability .

At the moment I'm happy on FTTC delivered over copper at 40/10 ( real world speeds are about 36 down/9 up) and i see no need to pay extra for the upto 80 download speed, or pay even more for FTTP

However if openreach migrate everyone in the exchange area to FTTP then what?Huh

MC22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My area has now been added to the Openreach Copper Stop Sell List (effective from 25 January 2022) as Full Fibre is now available to over 75% of homes in my Telephone Exchange area.

However, I’d guess it will take absolutely donkeys years to completely migrate all existing Copper customers to Full Fibre!

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Make no different as switch off copper line but Openreach will still leave Adsl2, Vdsl and Gfast as a data broadband only from the telephone line anyway.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@goldenfibre That comment makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

John
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Openreach can't roll out 100% in the area of FTTP most get it, most don't get it. If you can't get FTTP then you only got Adsl2, Vdsl and maybe G fast for broadband data only from the telephone line but the copper line will switched off for voice calls only
jab1
Legend

If you are in a FTTP enabled area, you have the option of taking it up (or if it is new build and only supplied via FTTP, you have to take it up). If you still have copper cable (to the premises), you will be able to get ADSL/FTTC,G.Fast (if available). If you don't have FTTP, your voice calls will still come over the copper line - there is no other option other than mobile (3/4/5G)

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

It makes sense to me that OpenReach will turn off the copper phone service first as they continue to build out FTTP.

They already have a product available to allow VOIP calls only over copper. Can't remember what it's called but it runs at 0.5mbps which apparently is more than enough for VOIP.

Brian

jab1
Legend

Why, @bmc ? Yes, there apparently is a VoIP calls over copper product (and no, I can't remember where I read it either), but while ever the phone exchanges are still in commission, why force everyone to buy a no doubt expensive product which will be redundant when the copper circuits are finally shut down - as they say they will be?

John