Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre-to-the-Premises

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Fibre-to-the-Premises

I know I already got Fibre To The Cabinet with 80/20 but is it possible BT might add Fibre-to-the-Premises one day with 330/30. As I think FTTP will be much better than FTTC. Even thought my exchange only support FTTC at present.
16 REPLIES 16
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Fibre-to-the-Premises

Hi goldenfibre,
No doubt the network will be expanded for FTTP in the future however FTTC has been a little more successful than first thought so as far as I know, the plans for rolling out further FTTP is on hold for the time being and has no fixed date set for continuation.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Thanks Adam.
Is it possible to have two FTTC in the same household with the same account holder? So, it would bonding together to get 160/40.
AndyH
Grafter

You can have two phone lines/two FTTC lines in one property. You would need to do the bonding yourself as it's not something Plusnet support.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, you beat me to it AndyH  Cheesy

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

How much for new line install charge? And will Openreach supply another Modem if ordered second FTTC on 2nd line?
Bud
Grafter

Quote from: Adam
Hi goldenfibre,
No doubt the network will be expanded for FTTP in the future however FTTC has been a little more successful than first thought so as far as I know, the plans for rolling out further FTTP is on hold for the time being and has no fixed date set for continuation.

FTTP has been announced recently for the exchange I am connected to, with the view to having FTTC and FTTP live by the end of this year.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Bud
FTTP has been announced recently for the exchange I am connected to, with the view to having FTTC and FTTP live by the end of this year.

Life seem unfair! I do hate BT.
AndyH
Grafter

Why do you need more than 70Mbps though?
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: goldenfibre
Life seem unfair! I do hate BT.

Has your daughter got fed up with the speed of the FTTC connection that you donated to her?  It wasn't so long ago she was happy with it, and you with your Virgin connection.
Some people are never happy.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: AndyH
Why do you need more than 70Mbps though?

No, one FTTC for my daughter in her bedroom. Other FTTC for me. WE both want alone in FTTC.
AndyH
Grafter

That's a lot of bandwidth each though - what could you both be doing that would require 140Mbps total?
picbits
Rising Star

You've just beat me to it !
My Stepson watches Youtube stuff all day and hammers my connection but there is still plenty of bandwidth for everyone else !
x47c
Grafter

My heart bleeds for you all.
I'm 7 miles from a city centre
100 yards from the BT cabinet
the BT cabinet (approx 220 subscribers) is not being upgraded under BDUK
So unless more money is found from somewhere to pay for it that is no FTTC this year, next year or for that matter beyond.
In reality I suspect FTTC will arrive sometime between the end of BDUK (2017) and before 2020.
In the meantime I'm sure you are all grateful that my taxes to the national and local government are contributing towards your FTTC installations.
Melancholie
Grafter

Hmm. Let's be realistic, the plans for FTTP were scaled back years ago and were nothing to do with the success of FTTC and all about wanting to cover as much as possible as fast as possible and as cheaply as possible. The decision was made that 17a FTTC would be good enough and the plans for 25% of the NGA rollout to be FTTP shelved.
BT Sport doesn't pay for itself, ya know. That costs some serious money.
It's hardly a shock that when loads of people have the choice of crap ADSL and FTTC they choose FTTC. It shows BT completely got the demand for higher speeds wrong, though that was likely intentional so that they could charge more at wholesale level based around 20% rather than the actual levels which look like they'll be considerably higher.