cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre order

chuckster
Grafter

Fibre order

As it's the feedback section I'd just like to say that placing my order for Fibre just went through without a hitch.  I am slightly apprehensive seeing the number of missed appointments that seem to be going on but I guess each order is unique (and not everyone with a successful appointment posts here to point that out).
I will post to say what happens (hopefully it'll be positive!)
Just one for any of the Digi-care team.. I've requested a router.  If you do have any lovely Netgear units lying around could I have one of those please?  I'm a Netgear house through and through so would just be nice. 
Thanking-yee!
C.
18 REPLIES 18
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre order

Hi Chuckster,
No, we don't provide Netgear's the router you'll receive is a Technicolor TG582n. Just give me a shout if yoe encouter any issues at all during the course of upgrading and I'll get on the case.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

No, we don't provide Netgear's the router you'll receive is a Technicolor TG582n.

Just curious, why did you switch from the Netgear WNR1000 v3 that I have used successfully for almost 18 months now?

Paul.
chuckster
Grafter

Got notification of my router dispatch.
To be honest I've already bought a new ASUS N66 router which I plan on using (keep the PN router as spare/backup/troubleshooter).  Can someone just clarify two points for me..?
Firstly, with the new router, do I need to enter my PN username and password (know that sounds stupid but I've seen many articles for Infinity that say the password field isn't used and that can either be left blank or you can put anything in as password, it only looks for username)?
Second, is there a chance I'll get different connection speeds with the different routers?  Is it not the BT OR modem that will hold the line speed and connection stability?
Many thanks,
C.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Firstly, with the new router, do I need to enter my PN username and password

Yes, you need to setup a PPPoE connection with your username as <username>@plusdsl.net and password.
Is it not the BT OR modem that will hold the line speed and connection stability?
Yes it is.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chuckster
Grafter

Thanking yee MisterW.
Bit more feedback for PN with regards to this.  Got the notice that the router had been despatched on Monday eve.  Wasn't sure if it would be delivered yesterday or today.. got in last night and checked the postbox and saw nothing so wasn't too concerned.  This morning as I was heading out to work I noticed a parcel that had been left by our bike shed (it's a gated complex with a covered bike area by the entrance).  As it was dark when I got in I'd not noticed this parcel but it turns out that it's the router.
Excellent delivery from PN (my £4.99 was put to good use), however, for that price I'd expect it to have been left somewhere more secure and not open to the elements or anyone else to walk off with.  As it is, the router spent the night outside in temperatures of around -4C.  Hope it still works (good job I've got another).  Think you should have a word with the Royal Mail about where they abandon your parcels, or change to a company that takes a little more pride in the job it does.
C
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to know when this happens.
Hopefully your router is fine, please let me know if there is any issues with it.
chuckster
Grafter

Thanks Chris, will do.
Just opened up the box and can't find any extension cabling that was requested at the time of the upgrade.  Does this come separately?  The install is due for tomorrow afternoon.. will the BTO engineer have some if the PN supplied cable doesn't turn up?
C.
mushy
Grafter

The extension cable is for connection between master socket and the BT/OR supplied modem, when the engineer turns up you may need to mention it to them otherwise they will just connect the modem up next to the master socket.
It is not an extention between the modem and the router but if you are not planning on keeping them near eachh other then you will need a cat5e network cable which BT/OR don't supply.
mikko
Grafter

Exactly the same for me. My Fibre installation is tomorrow morning and I've requested an extension. Glad I read this post as I thought the same so i'll definitely mention to the engineer that I want the BT/OR modem upstairs (master socket is in the hall downstairs). I envisage the extension cable going outside up the wall and into the house again as that's the route the BT installed phone extension took years ago.
chuckster
Grafter

Yeah Mushy, the master socket is in a pretty awkward place so wanted an extension fitting, through to the next room (I'll drill the hole if there's any issues with that), and the OR modem and my modem being located in there. I'll be sure to mention it to the engineer.. I just hope the extension request is on his work docket or he takes my word for it.
Watch this space...
C
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

The engineer will have the data extension cable, they're 30 meters in length.
NedLudd
Grafter

My OR guy hard wired from the back of the master socket, across the loft to another room (bungalow!), and into the modem. The modem is connected to the router via a short cat5e cable.
I had bought a 10m cat5e cable in expectation of having to do the last bit myself.
Amazing what a bit of friendly banter and a cup of tea gets you!
Geoff,
York.
chuckster
Grafter

Copious amounts of tea and biscuits on standby..
Chris, thanks for clarifying.  Apologies if I missed it on the ordering page.  I don't think I remembered seeing that the engineer brought that with him.  If it's not mentioned on there, perhaps add that bit of info so that people are aware that it won't be getting delivered with the router and it comes with the engineer.  If I did miss it, I'll be sure to go see the optician.  Wink
C.
NedLudd
Grafter

The modem is supplied by BT Openreach. The engineer brings it with him!
Geoff,
York.