cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre date missed

drmiket
Grafter

Fibre date missed

Can anyone explain why the lovely shiny map bragging that fibre will be available from April 19th in a long list of places, and yet, when I check availability I get told it's not available. I live in Slough in a corner not yet touched by GPS, but Slough *is* on the April list.
It's either factually incorrect, in which it needs updating, or it's marketing "artistic license" otherwise known as bullshit...see L'Oreals "Age Re-Perfect Pro-Calcium" - a new skin cream that positively supports Calcium and presumably rejects the appearance of wrinkles by filling the skin with polyfilla and making observers eyes go all misty and blurred.
Either way, regarding the fibre, I'm not impressed. My up to 8MB line reaches an awesome 1.5MB top speed available when no-one else is looking, it's not raining and there is an electro-magnetic lull... Cry
M
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre date missed

It sounds to me that whereas fibre maybe available in Slough, your nearest street cabinet may not be enabled.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nadger
Rising Star

Looks like the OP is in a Slough of Despond Wink
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

I've been involved in setting up infrastructure using telecoms since 1985. I was quickly taught so far as  BT and its previous incarnations are concerned the concept of delivery dates (RFS) is a very flexible concept. On average they meet delivery dates, but in some individual cases their process can seriously go wrong.
The financial institution I worked in at the start of that period actually had a manager employed, with an unlimited budget, whose sole task was to "encourage" individual engineers and managers within the GPO, as it was then, to overcome delivery obstacles. Of course that practice is now illegal under recent legislation, but it made good business sense at the time.
A recent experience involving BT was when I was project managing the construction and fit out of a new trading floor in London. We'd ordered a batch of new phone lines from BT. We'd ordered them within the advance period specified by BT and the account manager had given us an estimated RFS date. It was not until we started checking a month before the go-live date that allegedly the developers of the building had chopped the copper bearer cable to the building with an angle grinder and had it pulled back into the nearest BT manhole. This cable contained several hundreds of copper pairs. We eventually got the new circuits at 7pm on the evening before the day that traders had to move into the new trading floor, but we'd had to call the office of the Chairman of BT to get BT's engineers to achieve that date.  The downside for BT? In the interim as a consequence we'd taken fibre from another telecoms vendor. The BT circuits were subsequently used only for incoming calls.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
john50
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
The BT circuits were subsequently used only for incoming calls.

Did you receive any  Cheesy
I've said before lots of the equipment I maintain relys on BT lines and routers, when I've double checked our equipment I'll get hold of BT get  line tests run  and I can 99% guarantee that answer will come back theres no line fault it must be your end,
What do I do, walk to the nearest cafe grab a takeaway cup of tea, wander back, put my feet up and watch..............lo and behold a miracle, everything springs to life all on its own without me touching a thing but theres no line issue ......................