Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Upgrade, What Happens?

PembsPanther
Grafter

Fibre Upgrade, What Happens?

Hello
I am awaiting an upgrade to fibre, currently using the plusnet supplies Technicolor TG582n as a moden linked to my Asus RT-AC68U Router, works well, when the fibre upgrade is performed can I expect my internet connection to go down? I will then need to swap out the plusnet router for the the supplied Hub One or will my current internet connection continue to work just at normal spped rather than fibre speeds? Can't really afford any downtime as we run a business VOIP line at home so trying to figure out if it will be obvious to me when it is upgraded and ready to go.
Thanks in advance Smiley
9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Fibre Upgrade, What Happens?

why not just plug your hub one in now, it supports both VDSL and ADSL.
your internet connection will drop whilst the engineer does the work and your existing kit will no longer be able to be used as it's only ADSL.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
PembsPanther
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for the reply, I have tried the Hub One already but it is not playing nicely with my Asus router and did not want to bother trying to troubleshoot that until the fibre was live but thinking about it, in the interest of no downtime I might be better figuring that out late one night, as the VOIP line runs through the Asus router.
So if i swap over now when OR do the upgrade speed will just automatically increase with no "setup" of any kind required? I know when I first plugged the Hub One it it told me to go and make a cuppa for 15 minutes whilst it "set things up"? Would it need a reset to use the fibre once upgraded?
To confirm whilst the OR engineer is physically doing the upgrade internet will go down?
Thanks again Smiley
All4One
Grafter

Expect it to go down as it at least needs to get new speed profiles picked up and as Dvorak states, equipment switchover outside.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Can't really afford any downtime as we run a business VOIP line at home
I wouldn't want to be the bearer of bad news but you might have problems with the Hub One and voip. The Hub one is based on the HH5 and I've seen some reports of its SIP ALG causing problems. Unlike most routers, it's not possible to disable the ALG either.
As Dvorak suggests, it may be trying the Hub one sonner rather than later , just in case there's a problem with voip and you need to get another router for Fibre.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak

Quote from: PembsPanther
So if i swap over now when OR do the upgrade speed will just automatically increase with no "setup" of any kind required? I know when I first plugged the Hub One it it told me to go and make a cuppa for 15 minutes whilst it "set things up"? Would it need a reset to use the fibre once upgraded?

No, you shouldn't need to do a reset as the settings for your account etc. don't change.
wrt speed you'll need to wait for a profile adjustment for the downstream speed increase to kick in - upstream will be noticeable straight away.
Quote from: PembsPanther
To confirm whilst the OR engineer is physically doing the upgrade internet will go down?

Correct
Customer / Moderator
dvorak

Quote from: MisterW
Can't really afford any downtime as we run a business VOIP line at home
I wouldn't want to be the bearer of bad news but you might have problems with the Hub One and voip. The Hub one is based on the HH5 and I've seen some reports of its SIP ALG causing problems. Unlike most routers, it's not possible to disable the ALG either.
As Dvorak suggests, it may be trying the Hub one sonner rather than later , just in case there's a problem with voip and you need to get another router for Fibre.

I've been fortunate in the fact that my Sipgate VoIP line has worked fine with the Hub One. UDP VPN hasn't, but that's another story..
Customer / Moderator
PembsPanther
Grafter

Thanks for the replies everyone much appreciated Smiley
Sounds like I need to investigate further..........
If I do have issues with VOIP I do not really want to replace the Asus router, cost and arm and a leg and is a fantastic thing so would a sensible plan be to just pick up and a BT fibre modem from Ebay?
Thanks
All4One
Grafter

Sure, pick up an Openreach modem if the Asus is compatible. Probably loads on there for decent price!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

o would a sensible plan be to just pick up and a BT fibre modem from Ebay?
If you wanted a reasonable priced but 'brand new' VDSL modem then have a look at the TG589n http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/23693-thomson-tg589vn-v3/ . We got one with our ZEN FTTC connection and are using it in bridge mode i.e just a modem, hooked up to our Firewall which does the PPPoE

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.