cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Upgrade Let Down

jonathana13
Dabbler

Fibre Upgrade Let Down

Thought I would give posting in the forums a try while I wait for customer services to get back in touch as often things get resolved.
Backstory
I moved into a house on a new build where Fibre wasn't available as it was running off a new cabinet but would be available soon. Great, placed order with Plusnet as had always been very happy with the service in the past and have recommend lots of people.
ADSL was installed eventually (story for another day, but mostly open reach issues) and have since been checking for the day I can get fibre, a few weeks ago it was listed so went to place an upgrade through the portal.
Upgrade Process
I tried to place an order online but was only given the 40/1.9 product which isn't ideal as I do a lot of home working and need as much up speed as possible. When I originally signed up 40/10 was available which would of been ok but I really wanted 80/20 so gave customer services a call. After a bit of a wait got through to someone who very helpfully explained why 80/20 wasn't available but said if I went for 40/1.9 I could move to extra on the day of install and I would get a higher upload speed but based on the BT wholesale results I shouldn't expect a higher down speed as 40 was pretty much the max.
Install Day
The engineer turned up on time and completed the install without a hitch. Then I called customer services as advised to place the upgrade.
When I spoke to someone they advised this wasn't possible, and offered compensation. They were very helpful and polite, (I hope I was too) but I asked it could be escalated as I want to know what my options are now.
Is it possible the BT Wholesale results are incorrect? If I put my address in rather than CLI it gives 60-40 down / 17-12 up.
I really don't want to leave plus net (which may not be an option as still have a term on the ADSL contract even if I could get out of the Fibre) but if the only way to get the up speeds my line is capable of might have to.
14 REPLIES 14
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre Upgrade Let Down

PN have a 76/19.5 in their "business" products. It costs a bit more, but you tend to get what you pay for ...  Zen also do an 80/20, not the cheapest around.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
jonathana13
Dabbler

The difficulty is I don't think Plusnet would offer the business product because of the BT wholesale results, they appear to be linked to the low speed rather than the high speed. I would if I could get that.
                                                High Low         High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 55.3 35.7        13.9 8.3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There isn't a 40/2 business product - they are all 80/20
jonathana13
Dabbler

So is the suggestion moving to the business option might get me what I want?
Are there any disadvantages to moving to the business vs residential?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You were miss-sold because you were told you would be able to upgrade to get faster upload so you should be able to get out of your contract without penalty.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jonathana13
Dabbler

After another call I managed to get the upload speed increased, BUT not sure how long it will last.
Worried that it's not an official product and someone might notice and re configure, really thinking about the business option, does anyone know how smooth the process would be to migrate? Cost wise its not much more, and could potentially get higher speeds as it would run off sync rather than product.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Here is what you're syncing at:
Downstream Speed 47.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.4 Mbps

I should be able to get you onto Fibre Extra if you like. It's a Plusnet limitation, I've explained it a little more in depth here:
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140551.msg1251113.html#msg1251113
Feel free to pop me a PM.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: jonathana13
After another call I managed to get the upload speed increased, BUT not sure how long it will last.
Worried that it's not an official product and someone might notice and re configure, really thinking about the business option, does anyone know how smooth the process would be to migrate? Cost wise its not much more, and could potentially get higher speeds as it would run off sync rather than product.

You've noted that the business prices exclude VAT  Wink
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: jonathana13
Worried that it's not an official product

If MattyC gets you on Fibre Extra then you have no worries about unofficial products, you'll be on 'up to 76/19 or 80/20 depending on how you describe it', limited by the distance from your cabinet and resulting sync speed, just beware if you decide to change product in the future to save money if you choose the 'up to 40' type of product then you'll be back to 2mb/s up.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jonathana13
Dabbler

Well Matty Came through, already getting 10 meg more down so much happier. Will see how it settles and report back.
Thanks again!
Jonathan
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Apologies for the abrupt PM response. Glad it's sorted. Keep us posted Smiley
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
jonathana13
Dabbler

No worries thanks! Dropped you a PM but not sure if it went through  so have sent it again... Sorry if it came through!
Jonathan
jonathana13
Dabbler

Re the PM, someone else might be able to answer the question. Currently getting consistent speed tests of 42.3/9.6 is that prety much the max I will get or is it possible to get higher? I think I read on a forum that there are two connections in the cab, one for 40/10 and one for 80/20 is this right of have I misunderstood? Happy with how it is at the moment but if I can get more why not eh!
Thanks
Jon
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Those speeds are consistent with being on the Fibre Extra product which is (up to) 80/20 in round numbers. Unfortunately your distance from the cabinet means those sorts of speeds are not achievable but you are getting a significantly higher upload speed than you'd get with 40/2.
I think following Matty's suggestion to leave things to settle is best for the moment.
David
David