cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber on demand

warbleedar
Rising Star

Fiber on demand

How come plusnet don't offer fiber on demand? The only really difference between this and FTTP is that I get ripped off for it installing so bt make more profit.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Labels added after move to Plusnet Feedback.

13 REPLIES 13
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Fiber on demand

Moderator's Note(s)

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to Plusnet Feedback.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

warbleedar
Rising Star

Sorry thought it would.come under broadband
Mav

@warbleedar

No problem. As your post wasn't about a fault or other issue with your service then Feedback seemed more appropriate.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Mav

In reply to your OP Fibre on Demand is expensive, possibly running into many £000s of pounds and is aimed primarily at businesses.

warbleedar
Rising Star

I'm all ready on a business line and needing a second line. I think it's ridiculous how bt can say who can and can't have decent speeds and isp's are not willing to offer services that are available.
And it may help if staff new what fiber on demand is instead of replying with you mean fttc
SimonP1
Hooked
Fixes: 1

You've got to appreciate most of the services provided travel over the exisitng network. FTTC is deployable, without customers paying individual installation costs, as the bulk of the network it upgrades serves many in an area and gives an uplift in future capacity (more chance for OR to recoup costs); ie Openreach will go to the expense of installing fibre cable, new cabinets, new ducts etc when they can spread the costs to many customers over a given time period (I'd guess up to 10 years). The last leg to the property is copper, which either already exists or is relatively cheap to install (ie its only the cable, poles or ducts already exist to serve that area)

In general, with FTTP, which feeds off the back of FFTC, openreach have to install fibre all the way to the property, may have to install new (buried in the ground) ducts etc... All this costs and needs paying for... you can use the FoD process, but be prepared for a significant bill ( i think fibre is £30 per metre alone, if laid through exisiting ducting). Openreach will provide and intial estimate prior to performing a full ground survey for your installation needs. Be aware this survey costs too.

If you are in need of it speak to Openreach... https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/ultrafastfibreaccess/fttpondemand/fttpod.do

ISPs can't provide a service when the capability doesn't exist, nor are openreach mind readers. Only Openreah can solve your needs for FoD, on their network. I wouldn't of expected ISPs to know of or suggest FoD, unless they were buisness lines only orientated.

If the OR network does not meet your needs (whether that's costs or their network deployment methodolgy), try one of the other providers, such as Virgin fibre.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@warbleedar

You appear to be getting BT and OpenReach mixed up - although they are both "owned" by the BT Group OR must act independently of BT at all times. OR are responsible for the network and BT, like other ISP's, pay for access.

FTTPoD is a very, very niche product primarily aimed at businesses and those with deep pockets. It is expensive to install and monthly costs are not much better. Very few ISP's offer it, I suspect due to the costs involved.

FTTP is also still a niche product though this is changing. However, at this time few ISP's offer a service.

What does the DSL Checker say is available for your phone number?

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

warbleedar
Rising Star

Sorry but I'm not getting bt and open reach confused as I have been fighting open reach for the last 4 years and finally won! However they decide to replace all the ducting and upgrade to copper through rather than fiber, where's the logic in that?
When all said and done bt and open reach are the same company, yes they should operate independently but there's no evidence to state either way, by or open reach its still the same shareholders etc.
FTTD is available it my area but no fftp it's a farse, but having said that if a product is available and customers enquire why is that enquire been refused?
Plusnet bt etc etc all use the same network infrastructure.
Screenshot is attached

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from attachment in a public forum (to an area that staff can see)

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@warbleedar

You should hide your phone number on the image.

It is a commercial decision made by ISP's as to what services to offer. I expect it costs money to set up back office systems to deal with what is on offer from OpenReach at the Wholesale level. PlusNet have presumably decided FTTPoD is not worth the effort involved.

Looking at the OR site below only 4 companies offer FTTPoD and not one of them could be called well known.

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/ultrafast-broadband/ultrafast-fibre-buy-...

If you want FTTPoD, you have to change ISP

Brian

warbleedar
Rising Star

And this is where the problem is, isp's not just plusnet are happy to snatch £100+ a month for multi lines but apparently its not worth putting fiber in areas.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I thought Plusnet was supposed to be a low cost brand, so it's hardly surprising they are not selling the more expensive services. It's a bit like asking why Poundland isn't selling some top brand of something expensive.

warbleedar
Rising Star

It's nothing like asking why pundland isn't selling what ever.
FTTod is Broadband and plusnet are a broadband provider correct me if I'm wrong.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

But it's not "great value" broadband which is what Plusnet are about. That and customer service.