Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC for direct line.

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

FTTC for direct line.

As I understand it from various engineers my line goes directly to the exchange i.e. does not go via cabinet. Does anyone know what happens in this case as far as getting fibre is concerned?
6 REPLIES 6
prichardson
Grafter

Re: FTTC for direct line.

Unfortunately it will not be possible to supply FTTC in such a case.
DL (Direct Lines) cannot support FTTC. FTTC requires SLU (Sub-Loop Unbundling) which is only available when connection via a CAB (PCP - Primary Connection Point), which is covered under the restrictions of the ANFP (Access Network Frequency Plan). Other restrictions for FTTC include that it cannot be supplied when connected via a SDP (Secondary Distribution Point).
amcclean
Rising Star

Seams a real diapoinment for some poeple. What options do they have then if any? Could they order a new phone line and hope it is connected via a cab or are they just pure and simply stuffed and locked out of the faster internet that we're promised by BT is coming soon.
podman
WWWombat
Grafter

It is unlikely that a new line would go to a cabinet, if the existing routing goes direct, but there's no harm in asking.
Next best would be to persuade BT to install FTTP.
Otherwise:
If you are close to the exchange, and capable of getting 20Mbps, and want more, then you can go for a bonded solution, to tie two lines together.
If you are far from the exchange, but still on a direct line, then the best hope is to get BT to install a cabinet.
This is obviously an area where BT's plans are a bit threadbare... and need some improving. They really need to have something more coherent for such subscribers.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
prichardson
Grafter

It is perfectly possible to get Openreach to install your line via a CAB, provided you have the money to burn. Two problems with this.
1: The survey cost alone (requirement and non-refundable if you choose not to proceed) is more than £200. You would then need to pay any civils, wayleave, poles, cable, ducting and time related charges from Openreach as well. Depending on the distance, you are likely talking for 4 figures here alone.
2: Whilst you can choose to connect via the nearest PCP (provided there is enough space within it), it may not be FTTC enabled, and the longer distance may even then lead to FTTC not being viable. For that matter, the longer routing may even prove problematic for the expected ADSL speed.
Those without money to burn, the options are limited. There is the hope that Ofcom will support the adaption to allow FTTC on Direct Lines, however that will be unlikely.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have two lines into my house. The one in use is direct to the exchange so I'm told, although when I had a noise problem they swapped a pair way up the road. The other line which is not in use at the moment I think goes to the cab up the road so it maybe possible to switch.
How can I find out if my line is in fact direct?
prichardson
Grafter

If you can send me a Private message with your numbers and postcode, I should be able to get some details.