Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Excellent but starting to slow

stevenb
Grafter

Re: FTTC Excellent but starting to slow

Estimated line speed:
    20Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-07-23 19:47:38
Current line speed:
    17.6 Mb
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As you say, slightly better, but the results are sort of consistent with the initial ones. Who did your install, was it actually Openreach or one of the sub-contractors? Did they do line checks using a JDSU (hand held tester) before connecting the modem?
stevenb
Grafter

Yes it was an Openreach engineer that did the install.
Yes he had a hand held box he plugged into the wall socket,  i remember he got the result by text to his mobile.
Anotherone
Champion

It's beginning to sound as though you just have a poorer quality line, but maybe Plusnet could run some detailed line tests just to be sure there's not a fault on the "copper" (or Aluminium) between you and the Cab.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've done some intrusive testing on the fibre circuit and no faults are found and there appears to be no errors on the line, the copper line test is also passing fine.

Anotherone
Champion

Many thanks Chris.
stevenb
Grafter

I don't understand, If my line has no faults or errors why have i lost 1/4 of my speed?
and why am i not getting anywhere near what www.dslchecker.bt.com says i should be getting
Anotherone
Champion

It's worth remembering that there could have been errors at the higher speed which might have provoked DLM to lower the speed. It's also possible that your initial disconnects may have caused this. Especially if they were in the first 24-48 hours.
Apart from the power off the other night using the method mentioned, has the modem been on continuously, have your previously rebooted it before or since?
What are your technical abilities like?