Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange lines?

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Exchange lines?

Has there been any further news as to what BT intend to do to get fiber to exchange lines? It's a right pain seeing all around you getting FTTC and a group of us in the middle not.
Had to laugh yesterday, couple of TT bods knocked at the door and insisted they could get me fiber all they had to do was come in and make a call from my phone. Think I'm daft Next thing you know phone and BB switched to TalkTalk.
7 REPLIES 7
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Exchange lines?

Well, I think I would be quite correct in assuming that my exchange will be fibre enabled sometime after Hell has frozen over! Crazy
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

But even then you could find the permafrost to hard for  the fibre and the cab to be installed.Crazy Grin
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately there's no update for you at the moment. All I can suggest is to keep tabs on <a href="http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/">here</a> and keep your fingers crossed(like I do!)  Roll_eyes
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: lucerne
But even then you could find the permafrost to hard for  the fibre and the cab to be installed.Crazy Grin

True. Wink
I suspect the only fibre I'm likely to encounter is that which assists my bowels in their function! Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Oh what a great response  Grin  Grin  Grin
glloyd
Rising Star

That only tells you when your exchange is taking orders. Mine is but I'm on a exchange line.
Quote from: chrispurvey
Unfortunately there's no update for you at the moment. All I can suggest is to keep tabs on <a href="http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/">here</a> and keep your fingers crossed(like I do!)   Roll_eyes
David_W
Rising Star

Reasonable News!!
Exchange Only (EO) lines are connected directly to the local telephone exchange and do not pass through a green cabinet that can be upgraded with a fibre broadband connection. This accounts for around 20% of phone lines (often either very close to the telephone exchange or very remote from it). Watch our animation to see how this fits into the wider exchange.
Regulations do not currently allow the technology used to deliver superfast broadband from the cabinets to be used in the exchanges. However, the first national pilot for EO lines is currently happening in Cornwall at Stenalees (and if you are in Stenalees you should check your line).
Other EO lines are being planned across Cornwall later this year, and will be upgraded from late 2012 into 2013. Note that not all EO lines will be on the fibre footprint, and alternative technologies such as wireless or satellite may be required to provide an uplift in speed. Fill in the Keep me in the Loop form and we will inform you when you can get connected.

Basically a trial is happening down here in Cornwall so maybe sometime in 2013-14 it'll get a national rollout if things go well?
http://www.superfastcornwall.org/frequently-asked-questions-superfast-broadband.html