cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exceeding webspace allowance generates alarming message

chuckster
Grafter

Exceeding webspace allowance generates alarming message

Went to ask a question about this, but it pointed me to the Feedback category on the Community Forum so I'll go ahead and post here.
Have recently started using my webspace allocation and due to a mistake on my part I have exceeded it.  Didn't realise I was near the quota so when I woke up to find an email from the PlusNet Abuse Team I naturally started to think the worst.. had someone hacked into my account and raised lots of abusive questions?  Have they changed my bank details to those of Her Maj?  Has the CEO received several dozen messages from me saying that Lancashire is far better than Yorkshire?  Who knew..?
Reading the rest of the message all became clear, and my unease subsided:
----
Dear Customer,
It has come to our attention that in the last 24 hours your website
has exceeded its webspace allowance.  Because your site has only
gone over the usage limit by a small amount, no action will be
taken.
Your website was using 4482 KB over its allocation in the last day.
You may be interested in upgrading to an account with a higher
webspace quota; details of the bandwidth allowances are available
on our website at the following URL:
http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/tips_and_info/webspace_faq.shtml#9
Please take precautions to ensure that the usage on your site is
reduced, as further infringements may result in your webspace being
restricted, or even removed.
Kind regards,
PlusNet Abuse Team
http://www.plus.net/
Email ref: E0426
----
I just think the whole tone of that message is a bit harsh.  Coming from the PlusNet Abuse Team wasn't a great thing either.  It was only a small amount over, and it is a first offence, so why not have wording which would reflect that?  'We've noticed that your website is over it's allocated usage.  Is this something you need to check or would more space be beneficial?'
Why bring in the threat of 'further infringements may result in your webspace being restricted, or even removed'?.  Would probably expect this if I was a serial offender, using oddles of allocation over my limit, but for 4mb over..?  Or, just chop it at my limit so nothing else can be posted until it's reduced, similar to the web usage limits.
Anyway, it's all been cleared down now and my sincere apologies for exceeding my allocation.  I hope that I'm not going to be labelled as an abuser on the PlusNet Abuse Team's wall of shame?
Out of interest, is there the facility to generate a warning email or usage summary or is that only available via the Member Centre?
C
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Exceeding webspace allowance generates alarming message

Hi there,
Which parts of the message did you find alarming?
We've changed this a few times in the past and just wanted the message to be clear and informative
'further infringements may result in your webspace being restricted, or even removed'?

I'm guessing that might be the part, not sure if there is any fluffier or nicer ways to say that but do let me know if you think there are Smiley
Out of interest, is there the facility to generate a warning email or usage summary or is that only available via the Member Centre?

Do you mean the usage of your connection? If so warning email should be sent anyway when you're getting close to your allowance.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chuckster
Grafter

Hi Adam,
It was the PlusNet Abuse Team part.  After all, I'm not an abuser!  Why would I ever get an email from any Abuse Team?  I'm a long standing reputible customer who always pays his bill on time.  Wink
Added my attempt at different wording in my initial post.  Obviously not done the whole thing (you must have lovely PR people who can advise on all that?
Yeah meant the warning email about the webspace nearing limit.  I didn't get anything saying I was approaching my allocation, only the email telling me I'd gone over it and was now an abuser.  Boohoo.  Cry
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for the feedback, don't let the email address make you thing we're accusing you of anything Smiley
The abuse team do deal with other issues too so maybe we could look at changing that in case anyone else thinks the same.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team