cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eratic connection

mdodds

Eratic connection

In common with other Plusnet/Free-online users we have been experiencing random loss of connection. The drop can last from anything from 30 seconds to 5 minutes or so without any prior warning. The Help pages always invoke details of gateway problems or other problems with BT or Servers. This is framed in language that only a few are able to grasp. Initially when testing the problem using Plusnet fault finder, the BT line is suggested as causing the problem. BT, when contacted, say, correctly, that they do not provide the service therefore we need to contact the ISP. An internet survey on ISP's indicates that perhaps Plusnet in now too big and can't keep technically up with the pace of it's success. Whatever, we'll give it a few more months to see how things develop - and how they keep their customers informed before looking more closely at the many othe ISP's who are out there with tempting deals. 
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Eratic connection

BT are the correct people to contact (if you pay them for your phone rental) if there is noise on the line when you use your phone - the noise will affect your broadband. However when you report the fault to them it is important to NOT mention broadband and just report it as a noisy line; they just love any excuse to do a sloping shoulders job and give you the run-around.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mdodds

Thanks Jelv, Plusnet provide the line service, they in turn subcontract from BT - so any line problems Plusnet have to deal with.
dfstrottersfan
Dabbler

This kept happening to me. (loss of connection for a few minutes) - but my phone line is OK.
I now cannot connect at all - ADSL light does not come on. Reported on Saturday midday - still to hear of any action.
I think that I might permanently go to mobile broad band its always there!!!
Mand
Grafter

@mdodds, you've got a very erratic connection, likely caused by the noisy line. Please raise a Home Phone fault via the Help Assistant (Technical Support >> Phone calls >> Home Phone >> Home Phone problems).
@dfstrottersfan, I've replied to your post in the other thread.