cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of Contract Reminder/Review?

KevH
Rising Star

End of Contract Reminder/Review?

Looking at my monthly bill, I see my 18 month contract has come to an end, and the monthly cost (unlimited fibre extra and anytime calls) has increased from £36.99 to £47.98 (before referrals of £3.50 ish). I'd lost track of when the contract was due to end (my fault) but isn't there due to be an end of contract remider and a review?

Looking at the product pages it doesn't look like I'm being offered anything to re-contract so I guess I'd have to call in and choose the "I'm thinking of leaving" option. BT is a bit more expensive at £49.98 (but includes a £70 debit card and choice of some tech to "£179"), EE at £40/month plus £90 cashback and Sky at £32. Would be a shame to leave after 16 years of almost fault free service.

23 REPLIES 23
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: End of Contract Reminder/Review?

The end of contract reviews only started on contracts taken from something like August last year.  You're best bet is to call the Customer Options Team (the I'm thinking of leaving option) and discuss what they can do for you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Details for Customer options team are on this page https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/thinking-of-leaving/
0800 013 2632
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes there's little chance of plusnet doing anything voluntarily to benefit the customer.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @KevH 

I'd also recommend getting in touch with our customer options team either on 0800 013 2632 or via live chat Here. I'm sure we'd be able to tempt you with another deal to keep you for another year or so.

As @pjmarsh has said, for any contract terms started on or after August 2018 (I believe the 8th) we'll email you before the contract term ends to let you know it's due for renewal to try to avoid bill shock.

Would be a shame to leave after 16 years of almost fault free service.

Has it been 16 years already? That time has flown by.

Thanks for your loyalty! Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
briston
Aspiring Pro

I to have just come to the end of my contract. I called PlusNet who wrongly told me when the contract ended, I even had to check to make sure I had not gone mad. So I again telephoned. There is an added problem that I will be moving house during any new contract. I am saddened by the lack of clarity as to costs and also it seems that if I was a new customer contracting I get a lower price than an existing customer re-contracting.

The result at present? I bumble along out of contract and my bill goes up about £8/month.

Not really satisfactory but it does give me the nudge to see what the competition is doing. Also, as I have a rolling month mobile line, perhaps others offer an incentive to take phone/broadband/mobile like PlusNet.

Nothing like a bit off poor service to make me wake up and do something.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@briston to investigate further could you advise when you feel you were incorrectly advised of your contract end date? I can see your contract terms/length were agreed as per this ticket sent via email at the time. This matches up with your contract end date as shown on the front screen of your account after you've logged in.

I'm also not seeing where we've charged you anything more than previously.

Could you send me a PM with clarification on this please?

With regards to house move costs, we're very upfront. Taken from Here:

Will it cost anything?

This all depends on where you are in your contract. If you start a new one when you move, it will be completely free. However, if you want to take your existing contract with you, you'll have to pay £65.

There's also a charge of £49.99 if you need a new phone line installing. You'll need a phone line before we can install your broadband.

Thanks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
briston
Aspiring Pro

I was incorrectly advised my contract end during my telephone call 02/07/2019 at 14.18. My how useful mobile call logs are. It was then I was told my contract ended on 26th July 2019. No, its 7th July 2019. My reference to an increased cost, I was told during that call that when my contract ends, so will the discount I receive now. Thus an increase of about £8.

I agree you are upfront of house moving costs. However, the telephone call today at 13.58 was spayed with 'may' or 'could'. It was even not clear what constitutes a new line. A new line to an idiot like me indicated the physical installation of a piece of wire whereas it seems it really means the reconnection of a circuit to an existing physical wire in a house. It does beg the question how can anyone move into a house without having to pay for a 'new line'? I do not expect when I move from my present address the new occupant to have the number that exists here now so presumably it gets disconnected at the exchange and the new occupant gets changed for a 'new line'. Idiot me has obviously got that wrong as well.

The last part of course is PlusNet still offers new customers a reduced contract price as against an existing customer re-contracting.

I hope this is as clear as mud as it was to me when I contacted PlusNet by phone today.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I was incorrectly advised my contract end during my telephone call 02/07/2019 at 14.18. My how useful mobile call logs are. It was then I was told my contract ended on 26th July 2019. No, its 7th July 2019. My reference to an increased cost, I was told during that call that when my contract ends, so will the discount I receive now. Thus an increase of about £8.

Thanks for the clarification. Regarding any incorrect advice given I'll listen to the call and pass feedback on accordingly where appropriate. Unfortunately though when a contract term ends you do generally lose any agreed discounts which would be in line with at the time you'd agree a contract with us.

I agree you are upfront of house moving costs. However, the telephone call today at 13.58 was spayed with 'may' or 'could'. It was even not clear what constitutes a new line. A new line to an idiot like me indicated the physical installation of a piece of wire whereas it seems it really means the reconnection of a circuit to an existing physical wire in a house. It does beg the question how can anyone move into a house without having to pay for a 'new line'? I do not expect when I move from my present address the new occupant to have the number that exists here now so presumably it gets disconnected at the exchange and the new occupant gets changed for a 'new line'. Idiot me has obviously got that wrong as well.

A new line installation charge of £49.99 refers to when we have to arrange an engineer to go to the exchange to connect the phone line up to the BT equipment we use. This is the case if the line is stopped on LLU equipment(Think Sky, Talk Talk etc), or there is no active working line or if there isn't a stopped line on BT's equipment.

We'll happily cover this cost as well as the £65 house move fee in exchange for agreeing a new contract term.

The last part of course is PlusNet still offers new customers a reduced contract price as against an existing customer re-contracting.

The offers for new customers are just introductory, we do have various retention deals that are competitive.

While we'd love to give everyone an offer you see online Here I'm afraid it's not always possible. I'd say it's definitely worth giving our customer options team a call to see what we can do for you. 

If you can PM me the best contact number and a rough time for a call I'd be happy to arrange for someone to call you.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
briston
Aspiring Pro

Interesting comments regarding LLU. Today, when trying to understand the definition of a new line, remember an ordinary persons idea of a 'new line' as against a new line which means reconnection, the person I spoke to only after I queried LLU did he qualify BT line.

All I can gather from the conversation was that if I re-contract now and then move I will have a £65 moving house fee and £49.99 new line installation charge.

I have not even approached the idea that when I move, and if I have already contracted at my old address bearing in mind I have unlimited fibre, if I can get the faster fibre at the new address can I upgrade to the faster speed and what complications does that involve.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We can recontract you for a house move at absolutely any point within an existing contract term. If you can get fibre extra at your new address and you’re wanting this we’d happily provide you it. There’s really no extra work involved between placing an order for standard fibre or fibre extra.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
briston
Aspiring Pro

Not sure what you mean ' recontract you for a house move at absolutely any point within an existing contract term.' I read that as a new contract during an existing contract when I move house. And here is me 4 days away from no contract.

If  I was a new customer. 18 month contract, unlimited fibre equates to £20.89/month. That's with PlusNet.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

For example, if you agree a new contract tomorrow and decide to move house in a month, in order for us to cover the one off charges we’d need to agree a new contract writing off the contract you’ve agreed a month prior.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
briston
Aspiring Pro

...or charge £65 + £49.99 and continue with the contract I agreed just 1 month previous.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yup that would also work.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet