cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone answer the phone?

Riblet85
Dabbler

I just want to ask why my line rental "saver" plus my broadband service would come to over £32 (once divided up into 12 months), but new customers can get the same package for £28.99 with no extra line rental, and to see if I can just be switched to that. That's it. Not a big ask. Fairly simple question.

Can I get through? No, I cannot.

Every time I've attempted to call, I've been warned that times to answer are "approaching 30 minutes", or 40 minutes.

Today it was "20 minutes", sweet. After waiting 35 minutes, I yet again had to give up.

I don't have all day to wait around on the phone to speak to someone. And I know I'm going to be rude by time I actually get to speak to anyone 'cos I'm so annoyed with how bad the service has become.

The entire reason I chose Plusnet is because the service was very strong, back in the day. I've been a customer since dial-up days (back when always on dial-up cost £99/month), only leaving briefly due to personal circumstances, but coming back and going through many house moves since. I've been a customer since at least 2010 (my records don't go back more than that). The service was awesome, and I was always happy to pay a little more at times. Seems things have changed since BT bought you guys.

Now I'm seriously considering leaving once the contract is up.

Every time there is a problem, it's a massive hassle for Plusnet to actually do anything or even respond to a ticket when they say they will.

I had speed issues earlier in the year, and Plusnet were certain it was my modem, to the point of even promising to ship a new one out (which they didn't). Then the problem magically fixed itself: there was supposedly work being done or some fault or something on the exchange the entire time, which was supposedly undetectable when the issue was ongoing. Then for some reason an incompatible modem/router was sent to me, despite me making it clear I didn't need it on the phone. But I did get a partial refund on the month's Internet, which was nice.

I've also been called a liar in the past, raising a ticket when a renewal promise wasn't kept, told they had no record even though nobody bothered to listen to the call, the ticket was just closed with 'no evidence' that I was promised what I was promised. A complaint to the forums was the only way to resolve for someone to actually listen to the call and deliver what was promised.

And of course package changes and house moves have been botched as well.

I get that some things are out of your control, but the stuff that is in your control simply isn't good enough. I just wanted to talk to a human being over the phone about my account. Is that too much to ask?

Figured I'd try to raise a complaint this time. Nope. Can't raise tickets ourselves anymore, so to complain about the long wait times, I'll have to wait on the phone. I'm complaining about the long wait times on the phone; asking me to call doesn't make sense.

Apparently my browser is blocking the chat feature, so I can't use that. Turning off the ad blocker still doesn't allow it to load, although I imagine I wouldn't be able to speak to anyone anyway...

This is not acceptable.

20 REPLIES 20
remerson1

Re: Does anyone answer the phone?

I feel your frustration and agree the service seems to have gone downhill hugely.

I've been a customer for a long time (12 years?). Started getting a line problem on my broadband last week - frequent drops. I've had this before on and off, every couple of years. No problem, before I'd raise a ticket and it'd get sorted in a couple of days. Nope, can't do that anymore.

Chat to us online? Nope that doesn't work either. Wait time on the phone = 45 mins. Thanks but no thanks.

Quite amusing actually - an online services provider that has no actual online means of customer contact or management.

Presumably I need to phone up to cancel as well?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

To save yourself more frustration, Plusnet will not give new customer deals to existing customers.

To get the best deal you need to wait until your contract expires. Go to a price comparison site and find the best equivalent deal. Then ring Plusnet and select the 'I'm thinking of leaving' option, you will find the phone queue here is shorter. Here quote the competitors price and ask for it to be matched. Don't accept the first price quoted if not good enough. You can always try again or leave.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Riblet85
Dabbler

Thanks Baldrick,

I guess I'll probably be leaving when the contract comes to renewing. It's not for a few months, so I guess I'll see how I feel when the time comes. Maybe I'll change my mind by then.

I don't reward crappy service or 'ring for the best prices and hope we have a quota to fill so you might get a good deal' business practices. I'll pay a little more and actually be able to sort out issues when sometimes inevitably goes wrong.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Riblet85 wrote:
. I'll pay a little more and actually be able to sort out issues when sometimes inevitably goes wrong.

That's fine but be careful who you choose. I fear that budget ISP's all have their problems so 'jumping out of the frying pan into the fire' comes to mind. Also, unless you go to a cable supplier you still have Openreach in the loop. It seems from my reading of problems that most seem to be caused by a combination of Openreach being a law unto themselves combined with the failure of Plusnet to communicate with customers when Openreach decide to change their plan and/or aggressively chase Openreach  when they fail to do what they have promised.

If you're prepared to pay the extra then I understand that AAISP comes highly recommended. It all depends on how much you value and are prepared to pay for customer service. Of course if you have a good line and no problems then there's no need to contact customer services so in that case there's no advantage from paying the premium.

The 'ringing to negotiate a better price' is nothing to do with quotas, it's just the way this sector works, the same way as Insurance companies etc.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Riblet85
Dabbler

Also, unless you go to a cable supplier you still have Openreach in the loop

Completely agree. So when it's beyond the control of the ISP, I have no issues with it. That's fine by me, as long as I'm kept in the loop and the ISP is doing whatever it can to fix the issue. And when the ISP says they chase, or will update me by X day, they actually do it. Unlike Plusnet who have positively failed in this regard for me recently. My recent fault was not their fault, not within their control, but every promise they made, they broke, including a replacement modem that was clearly never ordered, and a router that I said I didn't want and isn't compatible with my product. They also had no idea my exchange was apparently having issue until after it was fixed (I had to tell THEM my speeds went up, they had no idea otherwise). The whole thing just stinks of rank incompetence. I've had enough.

So when it is their fault, what then? If there is an actual outage that Plusnet has the ability to fix, will I ever get through to anyone? Will any of the promises be kept? I have no faith they will.

And Plusnet will spend time and money chasing new customers with deals they won't give existing customers.

If you're prepared to pay the extra then I understand that AAISP comes highly recommended

Thanks. They are already on the shortlist Smiley

The 'ringing to negotiate a better price' is nothing to do with quotas, it's just the way this sector works, the same way as Insurance companies etc.

And I don't like this, so I refuse to give my money to companies that participate where possible. If every ISP does this, then I guess I have no choice.

However, to bring up your specific example; my car insurance is one price; the price they quote. That's it. Doesn't matter if you phone up or whatever. The price you see is the price you pay. You get rewarded for loyalty (a % discount if you have other products), but everyone gets the same deal. No haggle, no BS. Simple. It's decent service; the phone is answered in a reasonable time frame without a massive set of options to trawl through.

When possible, I opt out of shady business practices and [-Censored-] service. Why reward it? If it gets rewarded, it keeps happening. For an extra little bit a month I can have better service and just get on with my life, and I reward a business that is closer to my values. That's a price worth paying in my book.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@Riblet85 You say "However, to bring up your specific example; my car insurance is one price; the price they quote. That's it. Doesn't matter if you phone up or whatever"

That is not true, if you are prepared to get comparisons and then haggle. I got about 10% knocked off on my last home renewal

Riblet85
Dabbler

Yes it is.

Please don't call me a liar. I don't appreciate it.

I know for a fact that my specific car insurance doesn't haggle. The price quoted is the price paid. I know it's different for other insurers, and that the majority of the industry doesnt work this way. But it doesn't mean I'm lying, so don't state your experience to be fact and assume I'm being dishonest.
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Riblet85 ,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you've had when trying to call us. Rest assured, we're constantly recruiting and training new Customer Service staff and so you will notice those hold times reducing in the future.

We are unable to change your monthly costs/discounts via Social Media but if you are in either a) the first 14 days of your contract or b) the last 3 months of your contract then please call our Customer Options Team. They are contactable directly on 0800 013 2632 and they are open between the following hours:

Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00
Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

I'm afraid if you're not within those time periods we are unable to amend the details of your contract and I can only advise to contact us when you are 12 weeks away from the end of your contract, to hopefully renegotiate a better deal.

Although this may not be the answer you're looking for, I hope it sheds some light as to our limitations when you are within the minimum term of your contract.

If you still wish to raise a complaint, please let us know in your response and we'll happily raise a complaint ticket on your account which you can add to at any time via a link we can provide.

nexen25

Once again I am kept waiting for someone to answer the phone. The message said 15 minutes wait and over an hour later still no answer. This has become a common occurrence and whats even worst, once someone does answer the phone I am guaranteed they will be as incompetent as the last customer adviser. The 'service' you promise is non existent and quite frankly you are an embarrassment to British business. Minus net would be a better name for you. no customer service.. no broadband sufficient for my needs so I get continual buffering.. yep Minus net the perfect name. And I bet no one from your company will have the common courtesy to contact me over this. 

nexen25

How very typical of Plusnet. If we were in the first two weeks of our contract we would have left you because your Customer 'service' is rubbish.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@nexen25 I'm sorry to hear that you've been unable to get in touch with us via the phone.

Can you advise what issues you're having so we can investigate further?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Riblet85
Dabbler

I'm back again.

Tried to call today to upgrade my mobile phone contract as apparently this is the only way to do it. I figured whilst I was on the phone I'd order a second sim as I now have a need for one.

No answer for 30 minutes. Just obnoxious music and pre recorded messages telling me "if I don't want to wait" (of course I don't want to wait, Jesus, what a mindless statement) then I can "Go to the website". Which is the same website that has told me to call you. Good work.

I doubt it's coincidence that every time I try to call Plusnet I never get through. I doubt it's coincidence that the most popular threads on here are about not being able to get through or get issues resolved.

Gone to the website to request a PAC code instead (hey! That recording was correct after all! I could go to the website if I didn't want to wait! Who knew?!). Why did I trust things would change? So you've lost me as a mobile customer, and the second sim I was going to order. When my broadband is up you'll lose me there as well. All because you fail to get the basics right of just answering the phone.

You used to be cool, Plusnet. There was something different about how you did things. Website hosting with cgi access, proper services which were just part of the package. It was wonderful, it was brilliant, you were different but you were still cool and when stuff broke, you just sorted it out, with friendly prompt phone calls, proper follow-ups, proper support tickets, and plenty of common sense. Now the soul has been sucked out of it and you've lost your way. I don't know what's happened, but I'm not putting up with it any more. There are plenty of other providers out there which actually give a damn. I'll find another Plusnet.

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

We're really sorry to hear that @Riblet85 but wish you all the best with your new provider.

As you are probably aware, Cyber Monday and Black Friday increase call volumes and contacts across the board but this does settle down once the offers have finished. 

If you need us for anything else, please feel free to get back in touch as we are more than happy to help. 

Kind Regards

Ollie 

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@OllieC   What a NAFF response.... to @Riblet85 

Not even an offer to try and sort the problem... nope.... just  .."ok then",.... " see ya"  

I`ll bet that this thread has not even been read by anyone higher in the echelons of PlusNet management, than the guy who orders the Pizza`s for the phone staff to eat, instead of getting on with the task of responding in a proper "workmanlike" manner, as it used to be....

oops sorry.... that phrase... " as it used to be"... echoes of the PAST... and we all know that everything is being done to IMPROVE the FUTURE of Plusnet... so why should they be living in the past... AS IT USED TO BE ? ? ? 

Nah !... not a chance...

Oh yeah.... just remembered.... I started a thread over 10 years ago about this.. 7th November 2009 ..

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Suggestion-employ-more-staff-to-answer-tickets-and-ph...

. and a certain guy on PlusNet staff  (  @Chris   )   kept responding with.... "give us time..... and we`ll get there" ...

Still waiting ......@Chris Sad