cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck with a bad contract and poor speed because of poor customer service

ekta90

Stuck with a bad contract and poor speed because of poor customer service

I have been a plusnet unlimited internet customer since August 2020. I recently moved to a new flat and spoke to a plusnet customer service operator on the phone to help with this. I was told that as I am moving, my previous contract with the discount would be terminated and that I would have to sign up for another year's contract at a higher monthly cost for the same internet speed! 

I asked if I could opt out of my contract and switch, and I was told that I would then have to pay a fee as I was mid contract at the time of move. So basically I was left with no choice but to sign up for a new contract for another year or I would have to pay exit fees. I was not offered fibre internet for this 'new' contract and it felt like I was forced to take up the unlimited internet contract for £23 per month, when I was previously paying £18 per month for the same speed at my previous address!

I have recently started a new job where I have to work remotely. I have download speed of 17mbps and upload speed of 1mbps, the connection is too slow for team video meetings so this is directly impacting my work.  I am not able to upgrade to fibre on my account online as it states 'An error has occurred: You can't change your products for the moment, you already have a product change in progress.' My new 12 month contracted started on 29th of January when the line was installed, what are my options? 

My plusnet username is same as my forum id, if there are any staff members wanting to look into this.

9 REPLIES 9
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Stuck with a bad contract and poor speed because of poor customer service

You could look yourself, just enter your phone number in the DSL checker. If you are not sure what it says, post the results here and people will help explain - make sure you hide your number though.

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

ekta90

@Mustrum I checked my number on the link above, it said 'no data available for this number'. I used my landline number that was set up for my plusnet at my previous address.

I was hoping plusnet would be able to resolve the issue, but their customer service till now has been disappointing. And the live chat is always offline.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@ekta90 Welcome to the forums, sorry you had to come under such circumstances. NOTE: I am not Plusnet staff, so my advice is based on my experience.

To be honest, I am surprised you weren't advised of the 'Home Move' option -yes you would need a new contract, but (I think) either retain your discount, or negotiate one whilst making the arrangements.

If you weren't offered FTTC at your new home, it appears you have it, unless you are quite close to the exchange on ADSL, given your D/L speed.

If you were paying £18.00 previously and £23.00 now, that does suggest you are on FTTC, although on a marginal connection which needs looking at - your upload should be greater than 1Mb/s.

EDIT: @Mustrum beat me to it while I was on a phone call.

John
ekta90

@jab1 I have had to set up my work laptop close to the router for the speed, I don't have fibre broadband. I was told that the discount was not transferrable and that the price was fixed, the whole thing seems really unfair.

jab1
Legend

Your laptops closeness to the router does not determine your speed - your connection type and distance from exchange determine that, although if you are using the PN Hub1, it's wireless performance is not good.

You need to use the landline number at your NEW address to determine availability.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@ekta90  Do you have the same number now as you did at your previous address?

Is so, you can also check services using the address option.

As for being unfair as @jab1  has mentioned, a home move costs, either up front or over the period of the contract.

PN did not as you to break your contract and move property, you doing so without all of the facts us one of life's lessons - harsh perhaps, alas fair though.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@ekta90 wrote:

@Mustrum I checked my number on the link above, it said 'no data available for this number'. I used my landline number that was set up for my plusnet at my previous address.

I was hoping plusnet would be able to resolve the issue, but their customer service till now has been disappointing. And the live chat is always offline.

Unless you have retained your old telephone number and transferred it to your new address then you must use your new number for the ADSL checker.

My understanding is that when moving you can either retain your current contract and pay a fee for moving or negotiate a new contract. I suspect that you have taken the cheaper option. Obviously if FTTC is not available at your new address then Plusnet cannot provide it. Some new properties only have FTTP available, which Plusnet do not support.

The Chat is shut down at present.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ekta90

Just to update that the issue has now resolved. I spoke to someone from customer service and they were able to cancel my new contract and upgrade me to fibre extra for £24.99. They were way more helpful compared to the previous staff member I spoke to on the phone.

jab1
Legend

Glad to hear it is resolved, @ekta90 - another one off my 'watch' list.😉

John