Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointment with Plusnet

cbmonkey
Grafter

Disappointment with Plusnet

Hi,
I have recently moved house (moved in yesterday) to a new build property.
I informed Plusnet about 5-6 weeks ago that I was moving and the new address. Being a new build property I thought it best to give some notice that I was moving as there might be potential hick ups. I informed the lady I spoke to that my partner works from home and will need the internet for the 15th of June, which I was assured would be fine as I had given such a long notice period.
I now find myself in my new house with no connection. BT have repeatedly sent me texts along the lines of “your case will be re-assed in 5 / 10 days, only for the amount of days to pass to receive a very similar text (now 3-4 times).
I have now phoned Plusnet about six times, each time waiting anywhere from 15 to 35 minutes to be connected just to get nowhere.
I tried to call again today just to be told that the builder must not of filled in the survey for the new site representative. I contacted the builder who told me this was Plusnet just stringing me a line as all of the other properties have been connected, some for over twelve months to the internet / fibre optic. I also have the open reach connect point inside my house, so a BT engineer has been there at some point in the past.
So we are now stuck in a situation where I am the only one earning when we have just moved into a new house (upsized from a two bed to a four bed) and now wondering how we can manage this whilst my partner cant get on the internet!!.
Regards,
A very frustrated Paul
48 REPLIES 48
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Disappointment with Plusnet

I'm investigating now. I will update this post shortly.

Hi cbmonkey,
I'm really sorry to hear about your delay in provision. The thing about house moves is that it can prove to be a time where your internet is vital, and you're being let down here.
The fact of the matter is that Openreach have been working on your order from the instance you informed us that you were moving house, as the agent you spoke with placed your order once everything was agreed.
Allow me to apologise in advance if I repeat anything that has already been said to you, but I thought I'd best clarify:
When a new development takes its first residents, the gas, water, electricity, sewage systems and all necessary utilities are in place before the houses are released to the buyers. The same is not really applicable for telephone and broadband services. This means that BT Openreach have to start from scratch, laying ducting and cables, joining them, amongst a number of other tasks. Whilst this is not always necessary in all cases, installations of this type are dealt with by the "New Sites" team within BT Openreach.
The New Site team are pretty much what it says on the tin. What we are currently waiting for, is for some ducting to be laid, and then for some cable to be fed though the new ducting. The new site representatives of Openreach (NSR) will be directly informing us of when the infrastructure is ready, and we will of course give them a kick in the backside and endeavour to get you an escalated appointment. NSR's are also there to oversee the quality of the work, and we can only proceed with the order should they allow it.
Where I feel that you're being let down by Plusnet, is by the call queues. So allow me to apologise for this, it is something we're working on (risking sounding like a broken record there). As a short term resolve, I'd be happy for myself, and a colleague who regularly checks these forums to keep you posted via way of update. Whilst it may not expedite your provision, I'd still feel that we've done you a bit better at the end of it.
Let me know what you think
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
cbmonkey
Grafter

Thank you, any help would be appreciated as it seems that everything is good to go!.
Like I say, all the other houses are connected apart from ours as we were the last on the estate to move in. I have also been told that after BT connect the phone line I will have to wait five days for Plusnet to turn on the internet?.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No, this is not the case.
We have a simultaneous FTTC order in place, so we'll aim to match the phone installation date with the fibre. Bear in mind it's the phone aspect that is causing the delay.
Matty
cbmonkey
Grafter

Hi again Matt and thank you for the replies.
When you say that a section of ducting / cabling needs to be laid, is this at the communication box end? (green box). As the builder assures us that everything that needs to be done is done at the house end.
After speaking to sone neighbours, they say that they had to wait four months for BT. I hope this is not the case here?.
Updates would be appreciated here from yourself or a colleague.
Thanks
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well in my experience, they usually start from further away from the premise, and then work their way in until they are ready for an internal installation. I've seen installations take as long as four months, but it's rare.
We've been asked to check back up on the 22nd. I've highlighted this thread to Harry Beesley who should be able to have a look next week whilst I'm at Glastonbury.
cbmonkey
Grafter

Hi Matt,
As in my original post, all the building work on site has been complete. I had confirmation again last night from the builder that any work by BT that has to be done inside of the estate is done as far as duckting, cables and so forth is concerned and all other properties are connected to the internet bar ours now. I just dont understand why BT do no seem to understand this.
Also, whilst I appreciate this is being looked into in your abscence as I noted my partner works from home and this is costing us a great deal with her not being able to work. How much longer can this drag on for as it has already been 5-6 weeks since I first contacted Plusnet with regards to the move (whilst I am still paying Plusnet a monthly fee).
I wonder if I had been a new customer to Plusnet (and also gained preferential monthly rates for the first six months / any promotional voucher) I would be experiencing this.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

the builder, of course, could be talking rubbish.
whether you were a new customer or a moving customer that wouldn't change what openreach report back to PN.
if openreach say work is required to connect the property then that is that i'm afraid.
your partner working from home is neither here nor there, it doesn't make you a priority over anyone else.
your partner should have a backup plan anyway. what would he/she do if you had a power cut, would they just stop working?
KatC
Grafter

I have taken a look into the order for you and as of yet we are yet to receive confirmation from the builder that the ducting/cabling work has been completed. Once this has been signed off as completed we can look to move forward with your order.
It is in our interest to get the services up and running as soon as possible for all our customers  Smiley
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
cbmonkey
Grafter

Hi KatC,
I was told this on the phone yesterday before writing the original post (also mentioned in the original post).
The builder has completed everything he needs to do as far as he is concerned (surely if he has done this for x amount of properties he'd know what he has to do). I feel like i'm banging my head against a brick wall!.
Plusnet tell me one thing, the building company tells me they've done that and its just back and forth
cbmonkey
Grafter

Chenks,
I am not saying it should be a priority I am just pointing out the fact that this is causing an issue.
I was told by Plusnet that over a months notice would be fine and that it wouldnt be a problem at all to be connected on the requested date.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

as i said, the builder could be talking rubbish.
or the builder has not informed openreach that the work has been completed.
until openreach say it's ok to go ahead then there is nothing PN can do.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: chenks76
until openreach say it's ok to go ahead then there is nothing PN can do.

...or any other ISP using the local copper access network.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cbmonkey
Grafter

still nothing from plusnet or Bt (had a text saying I'd hear from plusnet today).
I've spoken to so many people involved in this site build and they all assure me everything had been done for my property, as is the same for all the homes on this estate. Angry