cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing

dingus21
Dabbler

Disappointing

Telephone line was supposed to connected last Wednesday but seems engineer didn't know which exchange to used. Engineer left me at about1500 assuring me I would be connected that evening. Not connected but had an email from plusnet saying the delay was down to their "suppliers". Still waiting and unable to contact Plusnet by phone until Monday. Have to use a neighbours phone as 0800 numbers cost on a mobile. Didn't realise that Plusnet were taken over by BT. Explains their rubbish performance so far!
Will be cancelling on Monday. Wouldn't have even considered Plusnet if I had known of the BT link.
As a Yorkshireman I find the "Yorky" accent they use on their phone menu pathetic.
Thanks, Mike.
43 REPLIES 43
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Disappointing

Unless you go to something like Virgin cable to get your phone and broadband you will be dependant upon OpenRetch's engineers for your phone to be connected no matter who you chose.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dingus21
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply. I take your point but it is Plusnet who I have the contract with. I am not interested in their problems with suppliers. As regards to Openreach being responsible for connections, this I where the system is flawed. Even after de-regulation of the telecoms market, BT still have far to much control. If my area was cabled I would have Virgin.
Thanks, Mike.
jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A quick point if you have to use your mobile to phone them again this one will be in your included minutes 0345 140 0200
dingus21
Dabbler

Thank you for that info. I wasn't aware that was the case.
Mike
dingus21
Dabbler

Finally spoke to Pnet this morning. They have had to cancell the original order and are going to give me another installation date. They reckon about two weeks. We'll see!
Find it very wearing to have to give your details everytime you are transferred to another operator. More in hope than expectation I will stick with Pnet as I don't have access to Virgin.
Thanks, Mike.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Mike,
Sorry to hear that you've had a delay with this.
I'll pick this up in the morning and see if anything can be done about it. I certainly make sure it goes through with no more hitch's.
Chris
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mike,
I don't have a date yet as I am awaiting conformation from our suppliers, as soon as this is made available to me I will update you and arrange the earliest date possible.
Chris
dingus21
Dabbler

Install date is now 26.19.12. Not the "two weeks" promised.
Just filled in the customer service feedback. There  is a prize draw for doing this. First prize is one free month. Second prize must be two free months!
What a shambles though. Over six weeks to get connected.
Perhaps if Pnet had to pay the customer the £49.99 for a failed appointment the situation mightn't improve. Wonder if they will offer me any compensation for their performance.
Thanks, Mike.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The date set is a fair wait for you, unfortunately provisioning times are quite high at the moment do to work load and adverse weather conditions causing fault issues.
I will see if anything else becomes available and first and foremost make sure we get your install sorted, then I will be happy to have a look at your account and see what we can offer.
Chris
dingus21
Dabbler

Thanks for your intervention Chris. Install date has now been moved forward to 22.1012. Broadband is also being activated then as well.
Mike.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mike,
That's no problem at all, I'll continue in case I can do anything else and to make sure everything goes to plan.
If you've got any questions with this please ask.
dingus21
Dabbler

Engineer calls again this afternoon and finds I am still connected to the wrong exchange! Why am I not surprised. Call Plus net to cancel and after over 14 minutes of listening to music finally get through to the correct section. Explain to operator what has happened (twice) and that I wish to cancel. Operator sounds surprised and says "but you are due to go live tomorrow". Explain again that without a connection it is impossible to "go live". Then told that I will only get approx £20.00 of the almost £50.00 I paid refunded. Query this and are told " we sent an engineer out" and I have to pay for that. The fact that the engineer was unable to complete the job, twice, seems irrelevant. If I don't get every penny I have paid for this shambles then I will be contacting the consumer affairs programmes on TV and if that fails the the County Court.
Thanks, Mike.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

For a start, you would get all your money back, clearly who you spoke to was not experienced enough.
However, you have been told at least once that Openreach are responsible for dealing with the cabling/connection side of things to the exchange NO MATTER who the provider is. So you will still encounter the same issue whoever you go to. Cancelling will only get your service delayed longer and give you more stress, never mind the hassle of getting sorted with another provider.
Secondly, Plusnet are an independently operated company. They may be owned by BT but that is irrelevant. OFCOM regulations require them to be treated by Openreach and BTwholesale just like any other ISP or CP.
Plusnet do make mistakes occasionally, but usually go to great lengths to put things right.
I suggest you read this lot http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108547.msg927471.html#msg927471
dingus21
Dabbler

In fact I originally paid Plus net £71.21, so they are charging me around £50.00 for something which is patently their fault. Also just noticed that they are cancelling from 29.10.12 which is a week today. Seems they are charging me for a weeks rental  of a line which they have failed to install. Is the plus net boss called Kafka by any chance? Perhaps they should stop banging on about all the awards they win and devote more time to their do called customer service.
Thanks, Mike.