Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Debit changes - A suggestion

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Direct Debit changes - A suggestion

PN - There have been many threads featuring customers who have changed DD details only to find that their next payment fails.  Often this is because they made the change within 10 days of the payment date.
I've just checked and there's no warning of the 10 day processing time on the DD change page in the Member Centre.  The page just has spaces for bank details and a reminder of the  Direct Debit guarentee.
Why not add a line that says something along the line of:
Warning - by clicking 'Continue' you will immediately cancel your current Direct Debit instruction and it can take up to 10 working days to set up the new replacement.  You are strongly advised not to proceed if your payment date is less than two weeks away and you do not have valid credit/debit card details stored on your account as an alternative method of payment

May prevent a lot of problems in the future!
4 REPLIES 4
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Direct Debit changes - A suggestion

If only they'd listen though...
As Jelv put it 3 months ago (clearly to short a period to add a simple piece of static text to a web page!!!  ::))
Quote from: jelv
The ONLY fault Plusnet have made (and this has been raised before) is not to put a big warning on the page where you set up the direct debit that at least 10 working days must be allowed for the DD to be set up and that any bills raised before it is fully set up will need to be paid by card.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Maybe because they'll hope people won't try and claim the £1.50 non-DD charge back Roll_eyes
I don't know how much merchant fees are on debit cards (as a cheap example), but I assume that's a hefty mark-up then?
AndyH
Grafter

There should be a warning about the DD processing time - but I think this is normal for all DDs, irrespective of who the DD is with.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'd like to add my agreement to all the above (if it makes any difference).
Plusnet are mostly a decent supplier but their handling of DD changes seems terribly protracted compared to most other suppliers, I think the 'new billing system' will sort this out but it does appear to be causing a lot of trouble in the mean time.
If I changed my bank I think I'd have to plan it around my Plusnet billing date rather than any other consideration.  Shocked
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.