cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL Disconnection

genghisvader
Dabbler

DSL Disconnection

I've been with Plusnet for around 6 years, and generally been happy. The service has been reliable and I haven't needed to use support at all - and maybe that's why I've been happy.
I called on Monday 8th to enquire about a house move. I was told I couldn't move until the phone line (with BT) was transferred to the new house. Fine I though, that's annoying but I'll just order after we've moved and live without BB for a week or two. Later that day my DSL line went down, with the box showing no incoming connection. I raised a ticket (on the 8th, Monday) and heard nothing. I had to chase up by phone (which took quite a long time on the queue) only to be told that the previous operator had made a mistake and "ceased" my line. It would take 5-7 working days to restore. Disconnected in an hour, can't be reconnected for 5 days. How does that work.
We're moving on Tuesday, so it's useless anyway, but I do wonder if I want to continue with this provider when they allow this sort of thing to happen.
It's now Sunday, there's been no response to my ticket, and I just got the email advising me on the next direct debit. I have no service, why should I pay that?
Really very surprised, and hugely disappointed. I will raise it after the house move, but unless they give me a reason to stay, this is probably the time to look around and try an alternative.
Jock
18 REPLIES 18
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: DSL Disconnection

so 1 mistake in 6 years and that is enough to make you jump ship?
i see constantly that people complain about companies not been loyal to customers, but why should they when it's clear that customers have no loyalty to companies - case proven here.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

genghisvader
Dabbler

Quote from: chenks76
so 1 mistake in 6 years and that is enough to make you jump ship?
i see constantly that people complain about companies not been loyal to customers, but why should they when it's clear that customers have no loyalty to companies - case proven here.

Well thanks for that ridiculous (and irrelevant) reply.
The mark of a good provider is how things are managed when there IS  an issue, and you need service. Losing BB when you really need it (like organising a house move) is a huge inconvenience and the fact that an operator was able to do this by clicking a mouse with no oversight or wine check is not really good enough. And frankly neither is failing to respond to my ticket in a week.
Thankfully it's a competitive market so I have choice. Such as paying a bit more for better service. I am actually a very "loyal" customer when I feel I am getting value. Whether I stay with plusnet depends entirely on how they respond to this incident.
Companies have no reason, duty or need to be loyal to customers. Nor vice versa. They have only to deliver the product their customer is choosing to pay for, and if they do that customers stay. Plusnet haven't done that in this case, but I am hoping they will sort it.
This is the feedback section of the forum and that is my feedback.
chenks76
All Star

Quote from: genghisvader
but unless they give me a reason to stay, this is probably the time to look around and try an alternative.

so what would be the "reason to stay".
the cynic in me thinks you are angling for compensation.
genghisvader
Dabbler

Well can you take that cynic somewhere else please, you're contributing nothing here.
chenks76
All Star

i'm asking a question based on what you posted.
you gave your feedback. if you didn't want responses then you shouldn't have posted.
so i asked the question again, maybe you can answer it this time. so what reason could plusnet give you to stay.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: genghisvader
told that the previous operator had made a mistake and "ceased" my line. It would take 5-7 working days to restore. Disconnected in an hour, can't be reconnected for 5 days. How does that work.
We're moving on Tuesday, so it's useless anyway, but I do wonder if I want to continue with this provider when they allow this sort of thing to happen.

Hi Jock,
So as to ensure I've not misunderstood your situation...
Your phone line (over which your broadband service is delivered) is provided by a supplier other than PlusNet who only supply your broadband (a secondary service)?
Your phone supplier (not PlusNet) ceased your line (which ceases all secondary services as well)?
PlusNet then arranged to re-provide your broadband service under BTw's standard delivery timescales?
...and the consequential down time is PlusNet's fault?

Disconnecting in hours and taking time to reconnect is a BTw process constraint, not PlusNet's.
This does not sound like a PlusNet mistake, rather a mistake of your phone line supplier ... now let me remember - who was that?  I recall now BT Retail - say no more!  Shocked

PS: having thought a little more about your predicament, if I had been in your shoes, I would have asked PlusNet if an expedited provide could be requested and then you could have claimed the cost of that off BT Retail who caused you these difficulties.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

The OP clearly states that PLUSNET has ceased his Broadband.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
genghisvader
Dabbler

Slight misunderstanding; the phone line is provided by BT and it's fine, it will be transferred next Tuesday. Plusnet is BB only.
When I got through to customer service after they checked it out he apologised and he said "we have to put our hands up here, looks like we've made a mistake". So I'm just surprised and a bit annoyed that this was allowed to happen, and then couldn't be reversed reversed. You think there would be a check before they cut a customer who's still paying.
I would hope they will accelerate or prioritise my reconnection after the house move as I'll have already been without service for over a week by then .
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

And the point that has been missed... is the fact that it was a "Plusnet" mistake, to cease the broadband... in ( or about ) 1 hour of that initial call.... and then be told it would take at least 5 days to restore his broadband service.....
THAT is diabolical... no excuse for such a long time delay in re connecting a service disconnected by an idiot mistake.
if it can be disconnected so quickly, then there is no reason why it cannot be re-started/re-connected, just as quickly....
And I agree... with a service like that... who would want to stay....
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Sadly, it's the old saying......................"You pay peanuts, you get monkeys." Unfortunately PN has expanded too quickly beyond the capabilities of its staff training system. Personally I have never been affected, beyond last week's massive outage.
Hopefully PN will soon learn from its mistakes.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Yeah, we all live in hope, of that..........
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

While PN insist on giving Internet connections away for free 12 months ,,,, things will never change !
Most new customers will take the Free and leave next year for the next Free offer they see  Roll_eyes
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

what bugs me is that ive been with pn for 4 years now and im paying the most, all new customers these days get really good deals Sad